Need Steering wheel nut thread size, Stripped by perceptionist
Started on: 12-14-2007 06:18 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: buddycraigg on 12-19-2007 01:35 PM
perceptionist

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post
I had a bit of bad luck in the process of removing my steering wheel.

The nut and the shaft (shown below) are completely stripped.

To make matters worse, the puller caused the end of the shaft to mushroom out.

I was able to shave most of the flared end off in order to get a die on there.

Does anyone know what size die I would need to follow these threads and clean em up?

I will also need to get a nut as well.

Thank for any info,

Mike

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2007 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I'll measure one tonight and if I am able to get on the internet tomorrow somewhere I can post the info.

I don't have internet at home, just work, so it's touch and go for tomorrow, sorry...

JazzMan
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i'm sorry for you bad luck.
if you would have watched my video it explains how to keep from "mushrooming" out the shaft.

did you get the steering wheel off at least?

i'll go measure the thread size in a few minutes.

perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post
Yes I was able to finally get the wheel off. Thought it would never budge. While it was under tension with the puller on, I decised as a last resort to use a propane torch to heat the steering wheel around the shaft. This didn't take long for it to go POP! And then it was off. Kinda wish I did this first.

Where is your vid located?

-Mike
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
the first 3 minutes of video 2of5 would have saved you some headache
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yskGobp6aPw
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13602 posts
Member since Jul 2002
ok, it's too close for me to make up my mind.
it's either
9/16-18
or
14-1.50

if I had to pick one, i would go with 14-1.50.
for two reasons.
1 there are VERY few bolts on a fiero that are SAE
2 the pitch angle are very close, so it was really a 9/16 but you use a 14mm die on it, you will simply be cutting slightly deeper threads in to the shaft.
and by the looks of your old threads, that may not be a bad idea.
perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

the first 3 minutes of video 2of5 would have saved you some headache
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yskGobp6aPw

Thanks for that, This is an awesome practical use for youtube.

Youtube really comes in handy in combination with this forum, who would've thought

At this point, I don't think I can attach my Lock ring depressor until I clean up the threads.

Please feel free to use my pic as an example of what can happen when you torque the center pin with a breaker bar as I did
perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post

perceptionist

296 posts
Member since Jan 2006

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

ok, it's too close for me to make up my mind.
it's either
9/16-18
or
14-1.50

if I had to pick one, i would go with 14-1.50.
for two reasons.
1 there are VERY few bolts on a fiero that are SAE
2 the pitch angle are very close, so it was really a 9/16 but you use a 14mm die on it, you will simply be cutting slightly deeper threads in to the shaft.
and by the looks of your old threads, that may not be a bad idea.

Excellent! Thank you for that info. Looks like we both simultaneously posted... Off to home depot...

-Mike
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
if you're going to home depot, take the nut with you and you can try screwing it on a bolt.
perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post
The nut is beyond screwing onto anything. I have no idea how it even got on there.

I already went to Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, Harbor Freight and a couple auto parts stores also a couple local hardware stores.

Funny, no one seems to have a die larger than 12 mm.

The last couple places had recommendations in the area that were already closed, so I will try them tomorrow.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by perceptionist:
The nut is beyond screwing onto anything. I have no idea how it even got on there.

so take the lock ring depressor to verify the bolt/thread size
PFF
System Bot
perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post
Yes the sleeve on the lock ring depressor is double sided and accommodates the exact 2 sizes you mentioned.

The places I went to today did not have the size I needed either. There is another place I am told will have it for sure, but the are not open till Monday

If I am not too lazy tomorrow I might wander over to the wrecking yards and pull a column to play with. If I cant repair this shaft, I can just swap it out.
kyote

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post
My 2 cents worth...if you are gonna be going to a wrecking yard.. I would swap out the column and maybe save some headaches later.....
Maybe take your steering wheel puller with ya...and remove the wheel before ya leave the yard...

------------------

'86 Fastback SE 5 spd -'94 HD Electra Glide Cassic -'99 Chevy K-1500 Z-71

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2007 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I got out my thread gages and dies and started measuring, the steering shaft is most definitely M14x1.5 metric. My recommendation would be to replace the upper steering shaft rather than try to fix that one, it's a critical safety item for one and it's unlikely that you could successfully repair those threads for less cost and time it would take to replace the shaft entirely.

JazzMan
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Mine was like that when I bought my car. I just replaced the whole thing. If you swap them out be sure that you get one with the correct wiper switch as the same one you have now. Other wise you have a new headache
perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post
The snow is melting so I might make a trip to the yards later in the week.

I plan to check my own, but just for a second opinion, is it fairly easy to just remove the entire column including steering wheel and both upper & lower steering shafts as one complete unit?

At a quick glance today, (if I remember correctly) it appeared to be 6 nuts (4 near the top and 2 near the bottom) and the bolt that clamps the lower steering shaft to the universal joint. Also just unplug the plugs for the wiper switch, turn signal switch and hi beam switch.

Mike

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2007 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
You got it, that's what it takes to swap out a column. Be sure to get a column with the same kind of wiper and ignition switch, and the manual and auto ignition switches don't interchange. You can swap your existing ignition switch over to the new column without a problem however.

JazzMan
perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,

It seems to be getting warmer this week, so I will probably go column hunting...
MordacP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
I recently put on a grant steering wheel, and I lost the nut so I called a local pontiac dealer and the parts dude told me exactly what nut i needed. Anyways, It's a 14mm, and the pitch is either 1.5 or 1.25, though i'm pretty sure it was 1.25. You better check for yourself.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2007 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
It's 1.5 as stated earlier in the thread.

If GM could have figured out a way to make a nut half metric and half standard they would have done it. Is that Whitworth? LOL!

JazzMan
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
Is that Whitworth?

ROTF
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay