Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Front wheel offset with 11.25" Lebaron swap (84-87)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Front wheel offset with 11.25" Lebaron swap (84-87) by Sleepy
Started on: 12-12-2007 03:37 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: FierOmar on 12-15-2007 01:24 PM
Sleepy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2007 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepySend a Private Message to SleepyDirect Link to This Post
Looking for pictures and width/offset data from those who have completed the Lebaron swap. Specifically a head-on or "looking down" view would be most helpful. Wheel offset can make or break a car in my mind, especially given the body taper of the Fiero. While there are many good threads on this brake upgrade and on wheels and fitment, I had a hard time finding a thread that addressed them together.

As always, your sharing of lessons learned is greatly appreciated, and what makes this forum so great.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sleepy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2007 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepySend a Private Message to SleepyDirect Link to This Post
bump
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
Not a lesson learned... but relatively simple math.

Sticking with the stock 15" sizes for now:

88 uses 15x6 wheel with +37mm. I mention this because Archie makes a bracket to use the LeBaron brakes on an 88. However, since the 88 has a separate hub, there is no need to make a hub, and thus, except for the difference in thickness of between the LeBaron rotor and the 88 Fiero rotor, the stock wheel would remain in the same relative position.

84-87 uses 15x7 wheel with +30 offset. To use almost every substitute brake package (e.g. Beretta/Grand Am, LeBarn, etc.) the front rotor must be parted off from the remainder to make a hub. The new rotor sits against the face of the newly made hub. These rotors are typically 9-10mm. Thus, if you want to maintain the same spacing as stock, you would need to use a +39-40mm offset wheel.

------------------
FierOmar

Sleepy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SleepySend a Private Message to SleepyDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm familiar with the process and the offset chart. But when it comes down to it, the look is what matters.

I've got the stock alloy 14's on my SE project which means I can't swap brakes and then decide on wheels...

[This message has been edited by Sleepy (edited 12-15-2007).]

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2007 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sleepy:

Yeah, I'm familiar with the process and the offset chart. But when it comes down to it, the look is what matters.

I've got the stock alloy 14's on my SE project which means I can't swap brakes and then decide on wheels...

Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's a tougher question. I would borrow a couple early Fiero lace rims to establish a starting point. I just don't recall what the wheel specs are for the 14" wheel.

Also, given the taper of the front fender, it may be difficult to avoid exposing any part of the tire when viewed from the top side. For example, see Zac88GT's photos on this page.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088117.html

------------------
FierOmar

[This message has been edited by FierOmar (edited 12-15-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock