funny SES light by MusicmanNE
Started on: 12-11-2007 01:16 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: buddycraigg on 12-13-2007 05:35 PM
MusicmanNE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MusicmanNESend a Private Message to MusicmanNEDirect Link to This Post
so, i want to drive my fiero from nebraska to wisconsin (about 8 hours) for xmas, took it for a test spin tonight to omaha, and my SES light comes on after about 20min of highway driving. it has come on in the past as well, i've been hoping that it was from my faulty coolant system that i fixed, guess not it only comes on after about 25 min of driving straight...if i stop, it turns off, then back on later. none of my guages do anything odd and they all read what they should, no funny noises or idling problems, i'm gonna see if i can get the light to come on tomorrow and take it in to see if they can get a code off it, but could it be serious? i drove it all the way home, about 25min with the light on, and absolutely nothing wierd happened at all to distinguish it from all the other times i drive it. could it just be a sensor, or something?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MusicmanNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MusicmanNESend a Private Message to MusicmanNEDirect Link to This Post
forgot this! 88 formula 6 cylinder, manual transmission...has a few holes in the exhaust if that could make any sensors freak out.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
if it only happens on the freeway, then it's probably the notorious code 32. It's the EGR system, either a leak or bad solenoid. Either way, the vacuum sensor is seeing vacuum when it's not supposed to, or there isn't vacuum when there is supposed to.

Of course, the only way to know for sure is to pull the code using the ALDL. To find out how, do a search in these forums. Buddycraig also has a very good video on youtube on how to do this.
Ants87gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ants87gtSend a Private Message to Ants87gtDirect Link to This Post
Where are the exhaust leaks? if they are before the oxygen sensor they will through of the readings of the o2 sensor and cause the ecm to mix the fuel wrong. also an 02 sensor can cause the light to come on and off like.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Get the codes, they are there now, even tho the light is off. can be the egr, or a bad o2 will cause the same symptom.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2007 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
a code 32 is a good bet by your discription

here's how to pull the codes,
you dont have to wait to do it, once the light came on, the code is stored in memory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRoSMhEL3Ms

and here's a really long boring thread about what can cause the code 32
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045528.html
MusicmanNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2007 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MusicmanNESend a Private Message to MusicmanNEDirect Link to This Post
so, i haven't been able to get the code, nobody has the machine for older cars; my question is this. its runs exactly the same when the light is on as when it's off, doesn't have any idle problems, but does run fairly rich; if it's the vaccuum problem, would it be safe to drive cross country? or will it break down after two hours?
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2007 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MusicmanNE:

so, i haven't been able to get the code, nobody has the machine for older cars

Follow the link buddycraigg posted above, you can check the code yourself and determine what the issue is.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics, Now Compatible with your Mobile Device!

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2007 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MusicmanNE:
nobody has the machine for older cars

nobody has a paper clip???

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 12-13-2007).]

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2007 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

nobody has a paper clip???

I do, I do. * * * raises hand * * *

MusicmanNE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2007 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MusicmanNESend a Private Message to MusicmanNEDirect Link to This Post
haha...the guys all had this big machine that they plug in, said that you needed some kind of different machine for the codes, gonna go dig up a paperclip! gotta wait till my buddy gets home from work tonight though, he has my torx set
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2007 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i guess you didn't bother to watch the videos i linked to.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock