How to tell what alternator?? by Graudefas
Started on: 12-08-2007 10:48 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: fierogt28 on 12-09-2007 05:29 AM
Graudefas

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GraudefasSend a Private Message to GraudefasDirect Link to This Post
I have bearings going bad in my '88GT, and the dealer needs to know which alternator I have. I would assume it's the bigger one, being a GT. The Service manual lists two; a C130 and a C144, but shows not the difference.

Is there a quick way to tell which alternator it is?

Thx
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
An 88 GT should have a CS130. I am not aware that any CS144's were used in Fiero's. Are you sure that the belt isn't just glazed and squeeling like heck? I have not seen bearings go bad on a CS130. Not saying it can't happen but it seems wierd.
Graudefas

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraudefasSend a Private Message to GraudefasDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Sir.

Pretty sure it's the bearing; new belt 2000 miles ago. Sound is not so much a squeal as a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz that changes in pitch with engine speed.

Using a stethoscope the back bearing sounds normal but when I put it on the front it is deafening.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2007 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
the CS alternators are known for having the bearings fail.
never heard of a CS144
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
BTW, 88 GTs and Formulas have a metal fan on the pulley side of the altenator. The other V6 fiero alt. (85-87) don't have this fan. The cold air is drawn from the blower motor and air is blown on the altenator and coil for the 85-87 fieros. The 88 V6 fieros have that fan already on the altenator to cool it. 88s don't have the blower motor on the right side of the trunk.

fierogt28
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:
BTW, 88 GTs and Formulas have a metal fan on the pulley side of the altenator. The other V6 fiero alt. (85-87) don't have this fan.

i dont know what cars you have looked at, but every car, even non fieros have a fan behind the pulley on the alternator.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

i dont know what cars you have looked at, but every car, even non fieros have a fan behind the pulley on the alternator.

The 88s have a silver fan that is bigger than the 85-87 fieros. Sorry...I must of explained it wrong. The 85-87 fieros use a different style fan for the altenator.

88 fiero altenators uses a different design.

fierogt28

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 12-09-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock