keeps catching fire by nismokidd12
Started on: 12-05-2007 08:40 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: 88 Silver Formula on 12-09-2007 12:33 PM
nismokidd12

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nismokidd12Send a Private Message to nismokidd12Direct Link to This Post
my 84 duke keeps catching fire.......any ideas why?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Tell us lots more, where is the fire coming from. Is it immediate upon start-up, any major oil leaks or leaves on the exhaust manifold or if inside the car leaves in the heater box??
86FieroCentPa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroCentPaSend a Private Message to 86FieroCentPaDirect Link to This Post
Well. An engine catching fire is no joke, you have a big issue on your hands. But the 84's are infamous for catching fire. I believe it was oil on the CAT that would cause it? or it could be a fuel leak. Someone with more experience with the 84's fire issues will chime in soon. But please fix it before you think about trying to drive it
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Are joking or totally serious?

Where abouts is it catching fire? On top of the engine? Wiring harnesses?

Also inspect the seals on your fuel filter and all related fittings, since it is located on top of the engine.

I would suggest checking the valve cover gasket, when it leaks it will drip puddles right between the exhaust manifold flanges.

The big fire issue that killed their images was when a rod would break and punch a hole in the block, spraying oil onto the cat.

This car runs fine otherwise?

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 12-05-2007).]

nismokidd12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nismokidd12Send a Private Message to nismokidd12Direct Link to This Post
its catching fire at the throttlebody.....but other than the fires its been a great car. and i have already replaced the injector twice and the fuel filter and the fuel pump. im getting ready to replace the fuel pressure regulator.
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Okay, is it actually catching fire or backfiring out of the throttle body?

Is it shooting up out of the throttle body or is the general area catching fire?

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 12-05-2007).]

nismokidd12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nismokidd12Send a Private Message to nismokidd12Direct Link to This Post
the general area is catchin fire it will run for a few minutes then it catches fire.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Gonna be like pulling teeth
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
pics?
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like he needs his TB rebuilt, new injector and wires fixed..... probabaly leaking all over and the injector wire is acring...
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I was thinking very rich or dripping wet injector. Liquid fuel leaking past the closed valve. Jumping time one tooth or so would do this also.
Joe
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i think the 84's are gear driven so you cant jump a tooth, well you can loose a tooth, but then most likley youll loose more than one tooth and it wont run at all,

or am i off base here
Xanth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the 84s are gear driven. Not sure if you could actually skip a tooth without destroying one of the gears, though I do believe you can install it incorrectly.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
if i had an "84 that kept catching fire, I think I'd just get rid of it and get a later year car rather than putting Any $$$ into it at all. Those of us that have cars for sale can tell you that nice fieros aren't going for much ....
Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
This is a most curious problem. The cold start injector is right below the throttle body I believe, perhaps you should check that out for leaks. If the problem continues you will need my services.

------------------

600racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 600racerSend a Private Message to 600racerDirect Link to This Post
My 86 caught on fire once with my wife driving. It was leaves on the exhaust that ignited when she came to a stop. The fire was in just the right spot that the only thing it burned was a hole in the radiator hose which blew water on the fire putting it out. What are the chances?

------------------
I believe in the sun,
even when it's not shining;
I believe in love,
even when I don't feel it;
I believe in God,
even when He is silent.

William Federle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for William FederleSend a Private Message to William FederleDirect Link to This Post
I don't think 1984 Fieros with 4 cyl. engines don't have cold start injectors.

I had an engine fire last spring. It was caused by the tubing that runs from the fuel filter to the throttle body being loose. I had installed it without tightening the fittings and forgot to go back and tighten them. There is an O ring on the end of the tubing that goes to the TB. I can't remember if there is one on the other end for sure, but I think there was. If that O ring doesn't seal for what ever reason you can eventually get a fire from the leaking fuel. You might need to replace the tubing. I don't know if the O ring is replaceable. Another thing that could cause a fuel leak up there which could result in a fire is if someone replaced the injector and didn't get all of the screws tightened back up.

[This message has been edited by William Federle (edited 12-06-2007).]

triker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trikerSend a Private Message to trikerDirect Link to This Post
I had a fire in my trike one time. I had been looking for something in the trunk and left a towel hanging half out of the trunk and into the engine compartment. I was getting on the freeway when I noticed the smoke in my mirrors. I pulled over on the on ramp, opened the deck lid and threw the towel out onto the shoulder. I was trying to put out the flames coming from my plug wires when I noticed the towel had started a brush fire. After stomping out the brush fire I carefully arranged the carbon filaments (the only thing left of my rear plug wires) so they weren't touching and slowly backed up the on ramp and headed for the nearest parts store for new wires.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2007 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
He's yanking our chain I think, no way he's serious.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2007 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
That's what I thought, too, based on his post and response.

In any case, to get ignition of the fuel in the intake the timing would have to be way off, or one or more intake valves leaking badly, or the spark plug wires crossed up somewhere.

JazzMan

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 12-07-2007).]

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
nismokidd12 please contact me regaurding your non payment of the items that I have shipped to you. I did not realize that you sent an uncleared e-check. I have emailed you and sent you PM's with no return please take care of this situation. Lets clear this up please.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net
Click here for E-Break and Shifter boots
Click here for Sunshade bags and T-Top Bags

PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

He's yanking our chain I think, no way he's serious.

Indeed. I drove a Chevy V-8 with a broken rod for 200 miles before I got enough of a backfire to cause a carb fire. If this guy has a broken rod or a HUGE timing problem the car wouldn't be "a great car" otherwise. He'd KNOW IT!
big block fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-09-2007 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for big block fieroSend a Private Message to big block fieroDirect Link to This Post
Put up A video on u-tube, could be pretty funny.
88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
i second video.... for researching purposes..... lol

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock