Started on: 12-03-2007 08:42 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Oreif on 12-04-2007 06:33 AM
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 475
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i have always prided myself that my idle was almost perfectly at 900.

i swapped my transmission last month and now my idle floats between 850 and 1000.
and i can hear a random misfire.

i unplugged each wire one at a time and still had the "hunting idle" on all 6 plugs.
i unplugged the IAC while testing and still had a the hunting idle so i know it's completely ignition related.

i have verified that the misfire is random by putting my timing light on each spark plug wire and each one will drop one or two every now and then.

i put in my testing coil with the same results.

i'm gonna go add a ground strap and then come back to check for other suggestions from the hive (err i mean the forum)

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 12-03-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86_IRM_TURBO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_IRM_TURBOClick Here to Email 86_IRM_TURBOSend a Private Message to 86_IRM_TURBODirect Link to This Post
I had a problem with idle speed "hunting" and it cleared up after I changed the TPS.

You can check it with a volt meter easily enough.......

Good luck!
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i've got a spare TPS, i'll try that.

and adding 2 ground straps did not help.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
old TPS was at 6.5% when the throttle was closed
new TPS was at 4.8%.
no change to idle.

i'm open to suggestions here guys.

the only thing i did was change transmissions, tranny mounts, and put in a new clutch...
what the hell could have happened to make my ignition system start acting up?

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 12-03-2007).]

86_IRM_TURBO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_IRM_TURBOClick Here to Email 86_IRM_TURBOSend a Private Message to 86_IRM_TURBODirect Link to This Post
Did you check vacuum? Is it possible you bumped/cracked a line doing the trans swap??????

[This message has been edited by 86_IRM_TURBO (edited 12-03-2007).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageClick Here to Email DodgerunnerSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Did you remove the crossover and coil when you did the trans.?

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 12-03-2007).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageClick Here to Email OreifSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Some causes of hunting idle:

MAP sensor. If you get a new one from GM, You will get the newer replacement which is the same one used on the early 90's V-8's which seems to provide a more accurate read.

Vacuum lines like the hard plastic ones that run under the plenum can split and cause a leak. The EGR tube could have cracked or shifted during the trans swap causing a leak. If the TB was removed, The IAC tube that runs from the backside of the TB to the lower intake could be leaking.

If the IAC is dirty, even disconnecting it will not affect it. The setting is set by the ECM once you drive at 40mph and it will always reset to that point.
Once you clean it out your idle will run high, Just drive it and the ECM will then reset it.

Recheck the electrical connections. You could have dirt/corrosion in one of them especially if you had it apart during the swap. Radio Shack sells Contact Cleaner, Since it happened after the swap, I would clean all connectors that you had previously disconnected, as well as the distributor connections. Also inspect the pick-up coil inside the distributor for corrosion as well.

To verify grounds, use an ohm meter and measure from the neg of the battery to the frame and then to a bolt on the plenum. You should have less than 2 ohms. If not check and clean the ground straps. The neg battery cable needs to go directly to the head or block not a bracket. There should be a ground strap from the head to the decklid hinge frame and another from a bolt that holds the trans/engine together going to a spot on the frame on the driver side, The last electrical thing to check is the tach filter. if not grounded properly can cause noise on the signal line causing a random mis-fire.

Hopefully one of the above will fix your problem.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 12-04-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay