squeek, squeek, from right front wheel by swisscheese
Started on: 11-28-2007 05:37 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: sjmaye on 12-02-2007 04:16 AM
swisscheese

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post
What could cause my right front wheel to squeek.
I had serviced my car recently including new brake rotors and pads. Now the right front squeeks like hell.
I jacked the car up and turned both front wheels with no difference in resistance. Also I don't feel any temperature after driving my car, so there is not really any more friction that should be.
The squeek goes away for the time that the brake is applied or when i make turns (left or right)
What could cause this annoying squeek?
Any help is highly appreciated!!!

------------------
´91 Camaro Z28, fun in the sun ´87 Pontiac Fiero GT, daily fun

´03 Volvo V40 T4, gf stole it from me...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
is it squeaking when braking or all the time? my front end squeaked when the 20 yo bushings rotted out. squeaking while braking on normal calipers is usally a dirty caliper with a fiero caliper i dont think this can happen. it also could be that the pads and rotors they got werent compatible and will just squeak alot, semi metalic pads on solid rotors do this all the time.

spray the bushings with wd40 and see what happens. wont fix anything cept ur sanity
jweisman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jweismanSend a Private Message to jweismanDirect Link to This Post
check the dust shield, it might be hitting the rotor
swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post
Its just squeeking when I'm NOT on the brakes. As soon as I'm breaking slightly the squeek is away.
Also when I'm making turns to the left and right it goes away.

I have the carbomed pads from FS, but since there is only one wheel making noise I doubt that this is the pad making this noise.
swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post

swisscheese

537 posts
Member since Oct 2005

Originally posted by jweisman:

check the dust shield, it might be hitting the rotor

The dust shield is made from steel right? so I could bend it back if it hits the rotor?!
How are they attached? could there be a loose bolt?
gem1138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
The fact that it goes away when the brakes are applied tells me that your wheel bearing may be loose and/or in need of replacement. Whether this is the source of the sound or not I'd check the bearing.
You need to have that wheel off the ground and grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to rock the wheel each way. There should be no more than the slightest perceivable amount of slack.
As I am writing this I am thinking that the suspension loads are different when the brakes are applied and bushings may be the problem after all. When the brakes are applied and the suspension becomes thus loaded, slack in the bushings is removed temporarily. Hence we have the very old expression “an empty wagon rattles” referring to someone who talks to much.
I have had my 88gt for almost 4 months now and the right rear suspension started squeaking a few weeks ago. The cooler weather may be a factor on this one. All of the bushings should probably be replaced after 20 years anyway.
I have read here at PFF that the polyurethane bushing are prone to squeaking and some owners have added grease nipples to solve that annoyance.
swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply

I went back to the garage yesterday.
They checked for a bad bearing, but no it should be ok they said. Also that the greased the whole stuff when they had it apart.

They said that its the brake pad. Now I'm hoping that this one quiets down. (and not that the other three begin to squeek also )
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I got carbomets from the Fiero Store also. they no squeeky.

I too will say its the dust shield rubbing on rotor. EVERYTIME I have put new rotors on my Fiero - for some reason - they rub on the dust shield. and, when I put new rear rotors on, it was the inside rim edge that was rubbing, not the usual outter edge. basicly, just remove the rotor, and look for the shiney spot. that shiney spot is where it is rubbing. then, depending on where the spot is, bend it back, or give it a wack with a hammer & drift.

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
My guess is lack of or lack of enough of that anti-squeek gel they put on the back of the pads. What I have been told is that when you are not applying brakes the pads still touch the rotor very lightly. This can create a high pitched vibration. The anti-squeek gell is supposed to dampen that vibration.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock