Series II 3800SC from 98 Grand Prix w/40k Miles for $500 by Nate16
Started on: 11-23-2007 11:30 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: RideZiLightning on 11-25-2007 03:43 AM
Nate16

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nate16Send a Private Message to Nate16Direct Link to This Post
Ok I am looking into it and I have found a guy that has the motor and he is willing to sell me the motor from a junked Grand Prix. He is going to give me the motor and ecu and wiring harness all for $500. I am just not sure if the 3.8 is the motor I want in my fiero but it is to good of a deal to pass up almost. I am just looking for input.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nate16:

Ok I am looking into it and I have found a guy that has the motor and he is willing to sell me the motor from a junked Grand Prix. He is going to give me the motor and ecu and wiring harness all for $500. I am just not sure if the 3.8 is the motor I want in my fiero but it is to good of a deal to pass up almost. I am just looking for input.

If its truely a 40K motor then that is a good deal. If he is selling the motor thta cheap then try to get the matching trans for a few hundred more. Get the VIN off the car and run a Carfax on it to see if the mileage is correct. You wont regret putting a 3800SC in your Fiero.
Nate16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nate16Send a Private Message to Nate16Direct Link to This Post
what will I need the trans for? I was just going to use my getrag. anyways yea I should get the vin and run a carfax.
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2007 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nate16:

what will I need the trans for? I was just going to use my getrag. anyways yea I should get the vin and run a carfax.

get it.. better tranny to use with the 3800SC...because you wont stop adding power mods to it once you have it in there
Finken88SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finken88SEClick Here to visit Finken88SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to Finken88SEDirect Link to This Post
x2, use the 4t65e that comes in it or you'll regret it, get a shift kit, and you'll be grand. Once you start modding the 3800 you'll just want more and more, but just be warned, once you hit about 300 crank horses on the 4t65e it starts to get weak, trust me i know, i had to swap a 4t65e-hd tranny in my monte cuz i broke it once i hit about 340crank horses
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Or you can cryo treat your gears and put a phantom grip or gr8grip in your getrag.

I had 288whp through a stock 92k getrag and it was fine. Don't drive like a moron and it'll be fine.

But, if you want security that your transmission isn't going to grenade on you, then ya, go auto. Bleh!
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

RideZiLightning

1540 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by Finken88SE:

x2, use the 4t65e that comes in it or you'll regret it, get a shift kit, and you'll be grand. Once you start modding the 3800 you'll just want more and more, but just be warned, once you hit about 300 crank horses on the 4t65e it starts to get weak, trust me i know, i had to swap a 4t65e-hd tranny in my monte cuz i broke it once i hit about 340crank horses

Your monte carlo also weighs 500+lbs more than a Fiero. It makes quite a bit of difference
Nate16

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nate16Send a Private Message to Nate16Direct Link to This Post
well I will see what I can do about picking up the tranny also then. I can probably get the tranny for an extra 100 bucks from this guy.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
if you want to shift, dont worry about the transmission, while its true that the auto is stronger, if you want manual trans, the getrag will be fine, if you dont abuse it too much it should last, people who blow up their getrags normally abuse them, i know i abuse mine but havent broke one yet.

if you blow a getrag apart and dont want to worry about shifting anymore, THEN swap in the auto transmission.

matthew
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
dont you have to get a different flywheel to make the getrag work with the 3800? if your major concern is cost ,you need to factor that in .it sounds like a good deal .get everything you can think of from the donor car .harness ,ecm ,bcm (if it has one ) etc .if you forget something when you go back it might get sold out from under you .
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
For the cost of a reliable 4t65ehd, you can pay for your flywheel and maching, plus clutch and cover.

Unless you get a deal of the engine and trans together
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I got 2 transmissions for far less than my friend got his fly/clutch combo done up for.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
C'mon Scott, how many times we gotta go over this? lol

You get way better prices then I do, and a 40k trans around here is about 300+

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock