Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  rear ebrake cable removal (brake gurus please help)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

rear ebrake cable removal (brake gurus please help) by HI-TECH
Started on: 11-23-2007 02:11 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: josef644 on 11-23-2007 10:59 PM
HI-TECH

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post
ok i have purchased both the left and right side ebrake cables for my 85gt and i receive them tomorrow.. i was just wondering anyone knows a quick way of gitting them out and the new ones in? i tried the search (for 2 days straight) with no luck and all the online "resources" all all the same thing and to get a book will be a good 5-10 day wait.. please if you guys have a good ways please let me know before i hack into this thing and get mad and end up needing more then a ebrake cable lol
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I've done some work on mine, and if your left and right cables are shot, I would get a bolt cutter and cut them in half. The little clips that are on them to hold them in the holes can be a bit of a bear. You need a pair of needlenose pliers and some wiggling to get them out. You can use visegrips to get the end nub off the lever and work at it from there. You will find lots of rust so taking off the calipers and cleaning them up at the same time is not a bad idea, although you end up likely doing a bleed. The caliper bleeder nipple may well be frozen on and you'll want to soak it in PB Blaster for a couple of days before you try loosening it. Also you'll have to muscle on the the spring on the lever.

The big thing is to get rid of whatever rust you can find and lube things up.

Good luck on it.

Arn
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post11-23-2007 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
P b blast the cable ajuster of course.. loosen to remove cables from main cable,and the joiner..Once the 2 old cables are removed from the ajuster you will have plenty of slack to work with..if heavily rusted,, holed up in air and let pb blaster do its work,,use a large screwdriver to lever the spring back . You need a large chain cutter to cut the cable.....a pair of large vise grips is best to pull on the cable ferule to pull it forward & to the side to remove,you should not have to cut the cable,this is not that difficult just eyeball first,if you have a lot of difficulty compress the spring by= tie with wire,or compress with screw,nut and washers , the last is mainly for 88 models ..ps a vise grip and wrench work best for the equalizer ajustment,if you use 2 wrenches one will be falling often..Haynes has best section on e brake cables

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 11-23-2007).]

Poncho Jim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Poncho JimClick Here to visit Poncho Jim's HomePageSend a Private Message to Poncho JimDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:
if your left and right cables are shot, I would get a bolt cutter and cut them in half.

I used a hack saw
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I just used a grinder to grind off the ends from the cradle, then pulled it through. Of course I was replacing them any way and didn't need to save the old ones.
Joe

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock