Charcoal vapor canister by Dan010
Started on: 11-22-2007 10:19 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Dodgerunner on 11-26-2007 06:30 PM
Dan010

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan010Send a Private Message to Dan010Direct Link to This Post
Could the gas charcoal vapor canister be mounted horizontal or is it required to mounter vertical??

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Bump for an interesting question and I'll add a question of my own. Where can you find a replacement canister.

Jim
ly41181

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post
You can get them just about anywhere. Autozone, Advance Auto, ect. Fiero store also has them.
DEMONCHILD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDDirect Link to This Post
are they even nessecary?
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post11-23-2007 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Morning guys,

The first thing in order, we need to differentiate between the charcoal can and the vapor canister. The charcoal can is on the trunk wall and looks like a black coffee can. The vapor canister is mounted next to the air box on the strut tower (On the V6 I know, I'm unsure of where it's at on the four cylinder... Same place maybe, I don't know.) You talking about the fuel vapor canister I know, but for those newbies out there

Charcoal Can: This is used as a vacuum reserve for the engine and its accessories, like cruise control. The engine basically just pulls a vacuum on the can so that there is extra vacuum if the motor cuts off or the like. As long as the rubber lines running into it aren't crimped, it really doesn't matter where its mounted, or at what orientation (up, down, sideways, hanging from the lines .)

Fuel Vapor Canister: This can pulls excess fuel vapor from the expansion tank (from the fuel tank on pre 87 models IIRC). A regulated vacuum line opens the dyaphram on the top of the canister and circulates the vapor back into the plenum. In theory, it shouldn't matter what orientation this can is mounted at, as long as its mounted at a realitivly high point compared to the gas tank. The vacuum should pull the gas upward if needed, but it would be bad to get pockets in the line if it were below the gas expansion tank. I wouldn't second thing mounting it sideways.

Later model Vapor canisters are rather large, about twice the diameter of the Fiero Vapor canister.

Originally posted by DEMONCHILD:

are they even necessary?

Yes they are needed to vent the gas tank of excess gaseous buildup, which could be dangerous.

Hope that's everything.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
While I do agree with your explaination I don't agree with your naming.

The Charcoal Can: is just an empty can (juice can)for a vac reserve.
The Vapor Canister is a Charcoal Vapor Canister. The charcoal attracts and holds the vapors for later release.

Both the 4 and 6 engines use the same setup.
Mount position "probably" would not matter as long as it is kept higher than the fuel tank as stated.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 11-23-2007).]

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2007 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the explanation. I learned something.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-26-2007 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The main reason for mounting the charcoal canister upright is that the intake filter is on the bottom. If mounted horizontally it's more likely to get contaminated with water.

JazzMan
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I'd mount it on top of the car and paint Mr Fusion on the side.......Oh wait wrong car.....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock