Started on: 11-22-2007 08:53 AM
Replies: 111
Last post by: Will on 12-03-2007 10:39 AM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

LS1 Kit #1 Includes:

Engine/Transmission Adapter Plate
LS1 Starter Mount
LS1 Flywheel
LS1 Clutch
Professional archie e-thug services on PFF when people say it doesnt make as much power as it should, or run a fast 1/4 mile time
Front Motor Mount
Front Side Engine Mount
Engine Cradle Crossmember
Front Transmission Mount
Rear Transmission Mount
Alternator Mount
Thermostat Housing Block
LS1 Waterpump Adapter Right
LS1 Waterpump Adapter Left
A/C Mount
Custom Right Side Axle Assembly
LS Axle Stub
LS-9000 Starter w/LSx Modified Housing
Flywheel Bolts

IP: Logged
RideZiLightning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Ok, most of the time I'm on the bashing side but it's getting ridiculous

Nowhere, that I can find, does Archie state that he will tune the setups for best possible performance. He gets the motor in and running reliably. His customers know exactly what they are paying for when they make the deal, and if they have certain things they want fulfilled, I'm positive they wouldn't hesitate to ask and that he would gladly oblige. Even if his prices may be high (I'm not saying they are), he provides a service that no one else is at this time. Archie is in business to make money, and obviously people are willing to pay
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Professional archie e-thug services on PFF when people say it doesnt make as much power as it should, or run a fast 1/4 mile time

3 days
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Yeah I read what you said in your other post but just sounds like a good excuse. You mention the motor needs breaking in also but you failed to mention that to my reply being someone called that out. I understand breaking in the clutch but a few dyno runs for tuning is not going to hurt it. There are new cars off the show room floor with manuel setups that hit the dyno with no issue. I cant tell you the exact cost of the swap but I did get a PM from another member from another LSX Thread that got a quote for the same setup--he said was 20K but this is just what I was told. The part that I dont understand is how you charge that much for a high HP swap and it leaves without being dyno tuned. Hell it leaves with an off the shelf tune that you have never even looked at.

Think of it this way--What if the car would had left with the same fuel issue but would have been lean?

Like I said--Even with the HP it is putting out, thats plenty for a Fiero.

You know you and darkhorizon need to actually do some research before you post things without any real information.
Just to bring this into perspective, You guys should read other forums where LS2's are actually dyno'd in cars.

As an example of checking out information here is a quote by a Corvette owner who recently had is "fresh from the factory" car dyno'd and he decided to also dyno different spark plugs that have been rumored to increase power: (Note the bold statements.)
"Here's the numbers, and they are ugly. The dyno was a Dyno-Jet and it is conservative. Most of the LS2 cars they get dyno at 320-330 stock. A tune gets 10 hp. My first pull was 301 and it peaked at a real low rpm, 5600. We did a second and used that as the baseline for the car and it was at 307 and change. The car on the first run was at 11.8 to 1 above 5000rpms. "

Here is the entire thread: http://www.gtoforum.com/sho...6&highlight=Ls2+dyno

Now aside from the dyno numbers, Notice how an LS2 Corvette ALSO had a slightly rich reading as well (last sentence).

If you search around on all the LS2 dyno's you will get numerous comments like:
"I put mine on the dyno here in Orlando and I got 326 rwhp. Air fuel ratio is really rich from the factory."

"I live in VA and just had my GTO Dynoed today. It was 65F, about 13 Ft above sea leavle, low humidity, 700 Miles and just did my first oil change yesterday. The same Dyno shop ran another 05 3 weeks ago with roughly the same conditions and he put down 319rwhp. When mine was run today it put down 323rwhp and 320rwtq. I have read several different posts and they seem to be consistant with what I put down. I have also read on LS2.com and people have been posting 340's and up, they have between 1500 - 2000 miles on there cars. Im wondering what everyone else has been dynoing at?"

There are many more like the one above and it seems that once you get a couple of thousand miles on the motor, The power goes up slightly (break-in??)
Here is the thread: http://www.gtoforum.com/sho...5&highlight=Ls2+dyno

So with doing just 10 minutes of reasearch I found out that numerous LS2's in Corvette's and GTO's seem to dyno about the same as the LS2 in the Fiero that started this thread, That it is common knowledge that the factory tune of an LS2 is on the rich side, and that if the LS2 is dyno'd after running 1500-2000 it will actually show a small increase supporting the "break-in" theory.

Back on topic, Great dyno run!

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
LOL!! This is so common now. Always the same two trolls. Exactly the same two trolls. Cliff, please give me that "unuseful member skip" feature to be able to skip troll's posts

New cars do not require dyno tune. They are designed exactly like that for production/warranty reasons. Otherwise every dealer would have a Superchips or Diablo tuner etc. to put those extra hp as an option to customer and of course charge an extraorbitant amount for it. Duh! We do it because as car enthusiast "usually" want to get the last bit of it.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
i just read this whole post and i think its great that we have people here willing to put up their dyno sheet for us .those numbers look really good to me .i would like to see some pictures of the car ,as another member suggested .
as far as drive train losses expressed as a percentage goes , i disagree completeley .you will lose a fixed amount of power to your drivetrain .the amount will vary with the parasitic losses in your tranny ,weight of your brake discs ,weight of your wheels and tires and condition of your cv joints and the weight of your axles .is a 700 HP motor going to lose more than a 300 hp motor ?no ,it takes only so much hp to turn the drivetrain ,the hp of the engine has nothing to do with it .a 30 hp loss is still going to be a 30 hp loss even with a 700 hp motor .
i have an hp tuners vcm pro package on the way .it will allow me to tune everything on my engine .the LS-2 is supported by this package too .go on their forum ,you will find what other LS-2 owners have done to get the most hp out of their cars .
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wftb:

.i would like to see some pictures of the car ,as another member suggested .

Indeed, put some pictures up! I've seen it up close and it's done exceeding well, inside, body, engine compartment , every where. Not of hint of it being a kit car parked or out on the road, I saw it turn lots of heads.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
So back to one of my questions that didnt get answered:

What if the A:F would have been the oppisite and ran the car way lean because the guy cutting the PCM made an error?

My point is, if you spend 20K on a custom swap then it should be right, including the tune. Hell if not a dyno tune, at least hook up a scanner and see how the engine is actaully performing.

I already said the setup made good numbers for being in a Fiero. I never said anything about the numbers being low so there is no reason for me to check my facts before posting. Are the numbers good enough for a swap that cost 20K, no but that is just my opinion on the subject.

And I wouldnt say that I ama Troll because I give my opinion in Threads that I read. If thats the case them Formula88 would be right along side me. I post my opinion in Threads and so does he, so how are we diffearnt? Probally because I dont go along with the crowd like many others.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

My point is, if you spend 20K on a custom swap then it should be right, including the tune.

That is a good point. I know Mallett offers a V8 conversion for Solstices for $21k, and the LS2 package is listed as 360 RWHP and comes with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. (Too short IMHO, but better than nothing)

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Nice! A replica that actually runs! I bet it's a blast. How noticeable to you is that 1st to 2nd drop from the F40?
I'd like to see some pics as well, sounds like a nice ride.

Originally posted by wftb:
as far as drive train losses expressed as a percentage goes , i disagree completeley .you will lose a fixed amount of power to your drivetrain .the amount will vary with the parasitic losses in your tranny ,weight of your brake discs ,weight of your wheels and tires and condition of your cv joints and the weight of your axles .is a 700 HP motor going to lose more than a 300 hp motor ?no ,it takes only so much hp to turn the drivetrain ,the hp of the engine has nothing to do with it .a 30 hp loss is still going to be a 30 hp loss even with a 700 hp motor .

By that logic a 25hp engine wouldn't be able to move the car one inch. A car will move with the starter while the tranny is engaged. Loss IS a percentage, it just isn't a LINEAR percentage. How linear I don't know and it does depend on the exact setup, but there isn't a set amount of HP that will be lost. A 700hp engine will most certainly lose more than 30 HP with almost any setup.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
And people wonder why V8 owners don't post more stuff about their cars.

You don't post dyno or time slips, and the baggers piss and moan and generally trash your thread.
You post a dyno or time slip, and the baggers piss and moan and generally trash your thread.

And if there's an impressive V8 with fast quarter mile times and impressive dyno sheets posted, all the baggers either claim it's fake, or complain that it cost too much.
Well, many V8 owners don't seem to be limited by the McBudget some of you have.

------------------
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a heroin dealer an "undocumented pharmacist."

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 11-24-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

That is a good point. I know Mallett offers a V8 conversion for Solstices for $21k, and the LS2 package is listed as 360 RWHP and comes with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. (Too short IMHO, but better than nothing)

And if Archie made that offering, you'd be asking to see a dyno slip to prove 360 RWHP.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

i just read this whole post and i think its great that we have people here willing to put up their dyno sheet for us .those numbers look really good to me .i would like to see some pictures of the car ,as another member suggested .

You could not be more wrong.

Parasitic losses in the drivetrain even vary from one gear to the next on any given car. Frictional losses and moments of inertia are affected by engine speed and gearing and are dynamic forces.

Ask any auto shop teacher or physics instructor - even at the High School level, they should be able to explain why your theory is incorrect.
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

And people wonder why V8 owners don't post more stuff about their cars.

You don't post dyno or time slips, and the baggers piss and moan and generally trash your thread.
You post a dyno to time slip, and the baggers piss and moan and generally trash your thread.

And if there's an impressive V8 with fast quarter mile times and impressive dyno sheets posted, all the baggers either claim it's fake, or complain that it cost too much.
Well, many V8 owners don't seem to be limited by the McBudget some of you have.

Yep i agree 100% with this statement

But i do have to say that most of the nutswingers that ***** and complain r the ones that dont have any large sums of money to do there engine right,so they have to crap on the ones that have the money.
I do have to say is nice ride,,even with 330rwhp,,,that fiero is a rocket...

And for the tuning,,send it over to RTF ,i am sure sean can boost it and make it into a V7 or V5 and make tons of power....
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:

But i do have to say that most of the nutswingers that ***** and complain r the ones that dont have any large sums of money to do there engine right,so they have to crap on the ones that have the money.

And this would be who in this Thread?
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

3 days

Yep, you're right. It took 3 days for the RFT know it all's to get here & start trashing yet another V-8 swap thread.

Archie
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
Wow, while I was away, this thread started poppin'.

Oreif made some excellent observations:

Originally posted by Oreif:

As an example of checking out information here is a quote by a Corvette owner who recently had is "fresh from the factory" car dyno'd and he decided to also dyno different spark plugs that have been rumored to increase power: (Note the bold statements.)
"Here's the numbers, and they are ugly. The dyno was a Dyno-Jet and it is conservative. Most of the LS2 cars they get dyno at 320-330 stock. A tune gets 10 hp. My first pull was 301 and it peaked at a real low rpm, 5600. We did a second and used that as the baseline for the car and it was at 307 and change. The car on the first run was at 11.8 to 1 above 5000rpms. "

Here is the entire thread: http://www.gtoforum.com/sho...6&highlight=Ls2+dyno

Now aside from the dyno numbers, Notice how an LS2 Corvette ALSO had a slightly rich reading as well (last sentence).

If you search around on all the LS2 dyno's you will get numerous comments like:
"I put mine on the dyno here in Orlando and I got 326 rwhp. Air fuel ratio is really rich from the factory."

"I live in VA and just had my GTO Dynoed today. It was 65F, about 13 Ft above sea leavle, low humidity, 700 Miles and just did my first oil change yesterday. The same Dyno shop ran another 05 3 weeks ago with roughly the same conditions and he put down 319rwhp. When mine was run today it put down 323rwhp and 320rwtq. I have read several different posts and they seem to be consistant with what I put down. I have also read on LS2.com and people have been posting 340's and up, they have between 1500 - 2000 miles on there cars. Im wondering what everyone else has been dynoing at?"

There are many more like the one above and it seems that once you get a couple of thousand miles on the motor, The power goes up slightly (break-in??)
Here is the thread: http://www.gtoforum.com/sho...5&highlight=Ls2+dyno

So with doing just 10 minutes of reasearch I found out that numerous LS2's in Corvette's and GTO's seem to dyno about the same as the LS2 in the Fiero that started this thread, That it is common knowledge that the factory tune of an LS2 is on the rich side, and that if the LS2 is dyno'd after running 1500-2000 it will actually show a small increase supporting the "break-in" theory.

Back on topic, Great dyno run!

The above research is entirely consistent with what one of dyno operators told me about my numbers: "That's better than the GTOs we've had in here." It also is consistent with something that a GM service manager told me at a car show. He told me that the C6 Corvette tends to run too cool and too rich. They have an entire list of tricks that they have to perform to get some of the cars to pass the (unburned) HC portion of the emissions test.

Interesting. Setting up the cars to run rich is the safe thing for the factory to do. Maybe not the best for peak performance, but we all know that isn't GM's business. Selling cars is their business, and if an aftermarket can emerge to tune for the last 10%, fine.

My purpose in doing this dyno run wasn't to produce a wall-sized poster of my graph, it was to take a snapshot of the performance and to see what if anything needed to be addressed. Yep, it's running a little rich. I'll get that fixed.

[This message has been edited by Doc John (edited 11-24-2007).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
a starter motor can move a car not because it has 30 hp but because it is gear reduced .how many teeth on the ring gear ?too many for me to bother counting .the losses do change with gearing and other factors but they dont change with engine hp.if you keep all the drivetrain the same and double the hp of the motor the losses at the same rpm and in the same gear remain the same .
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

You know it's funny, you keep on coming into these V-8 threads making statements that start with "I know" then you make statements that are totally incorrect & have to apologize for your errors afterward.

Let's take a look at that Mallett web site. If you go to the pricing sheet http://www.mallettcars.com/...rder_form_111907.pdf You'll see that their cheapest swap (at the time this web page was posted) was $22560 (package #1.0). So you're statement was 100% incorrect again.

Even worse, the $22560 package doesn't include hooking up your stock A/C. If you want the A/C hooked up you need package #2.0 at a price of $24780.

Another interesting thing that you'd discover if you had actually read the web site you referred us to........ is that you have to get to package level 4.0 (at $44780) before they replace the stock Solstice transmission with a 6 speed & before they replace the stock Solstice differential. When you read the Warrantee, you'll discover that Mallett Cars Warrants that all parts installed by Mallett Cars...... & that all components and material not specifically supplied by Mallett Cars, Ltd. may be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty outlined in your Owners Manual.

What else did you make an incorrect claim about...... oh yeah....Warranty Let's take a look at Mallett's warrantee. http://www.mallettcars.com/...olstice_warranty.pdf This is a great read, you should read the whole thing because it's really interesting...... but here are a few neat lines from that warrantee..

2. Mallett Cars, Ltd. Warrants that all parts installed by Mallett Cars, ....... All components and material not specifically supplied by Mallett Cars, Ltd. (see 3 below) may be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty outlined in your Owners Manual.

3. ..... Mallett Cars, Ltd. warrants that the following components used in the construction of all Current Model Year Conversions will be free from defects in material or workmanship ...... This warranty is strictly limited to the replacement or repair of any defect related to materials or workmanship in Mallett Cars, Ltd., installed components ALL WARRANTY WORK WILL BE PERFORMED AT AN APPROVED DEALERSHIP WITH MALLETT CARS, LTD. APPROVAL. SHOULD THE OWNER’S VEHICLE NEED TO BE DELIVERED TO MALLETT CARS, LTD., IT WILL BE AT THE OWNER’S EXPENSE.
Covered Mallett-installed components:
• ENGINE (Installation only, GM warrants block)
SUSPENSION: (if applicable)
• Front/rear swaybar and bushings
• Shock absorbers, double-adjustable compression canisters (where applicable), custom mounting brackets (where applicable)
• Custom wheels
4. WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THE MALLETT CARS, LTD. CONVERSION WARRANTY?
This limited warranty does not apply to the following:
............. Damage or failure caused by any kind of competition (whether sanctioned or unsanctioned), racing, speeding, power shifting, excessive wheelspin (“burning rubber” or peeling out”), excessive engine speeds (such as engine overspeeding due to improper shifting). This also includes improper use of operating controls such as clutch, transmission shifter, brakes, steering wheel, accelerator .....

• Any damage covered by the manufacturer’s Current Model Year New Vehicle Warranty.
6. MISCELLANEOUS: Mallett Cars, Ltd. will not be liable for any damage resulting from failure of any non-Mallett supplied
equipment which is directly or indirectly caused by any Mallett-installed component. [/B]

An authorized Dealership or other official agent or representative of the manufacturer must address failures in any manufacturer-installed component under the terms of the manufacturer’s Current Model Year New Vehicle Warranty, or any gaps or lapses between warranty coverage that may arise due to the Conversion of your vehicle.

Yep, sounds like a great warrantee......... since they state that GM warrants the engine block & considering that the 1st 3 packages still have the original transmission & differential, the only thing that Mallett is actually guaranteeing is their emblems & decals.

Thanks for sharing your "facts" with us Ryan.

Archie
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

What if the A:F would have been the oppisite and ran the car way lean because the guy cutting the PCM made an error?
My point is, if you spend 20K on a custom swap then it should be right, including the tune. Hell if not a dyno tune, at least hook up a scanner and see how the engine is actaully performing.

It's not wise to send a chip with a brandy-spanking-new engine to customer and NOT burn it at a little rich so he dont ruin it while breaking it in. After the break-in and dyno time, then you get it spot-on.
I meet Jon and saw his car, nice guy, nice car. Can't believe all the trashing, wtf people?

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

So back to one of my questions that didnt get answered:

A/F ratio: DocJohn & Oreif pretty much answered this already.

So now you're assuming that we don't check these cars out with scanners.

What would cause you to assume that just because we don't do $1K worth of dyno tuning, that we don't use scanners on them?

BTW: just in case you didn't know, the A/F ratio also shows on the scanner. So if it was lean we'd know it.

You know, it's about time some of you guys wake up.

I've been doing this more than 20 years now. And wether you & your buddies want to admit it of not, we do know what we're doing.

So give it a freakin' rest.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 11-24-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
4. WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THE MALLETT CARS, LTD. CONVERSION WARRANTY?
This limited warranty does not apply to the following:
.............Damage or failure caused by any kind of competition (whether sanctioned or unsanctioned), racing, speeding, power shifting, excessive wheelspin (“burning rubber” or peeling out”), excessive engine speeds (such as engine overspeeding due to improper shifting). This also includes improper use of operating controls such as clutch, transmission shifter, brakes, steering wheel, accelerator .....

I bet 98% will void because of this. I would. But then normal poeple would not read the fine line
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
nice numbers i bet it feels alot better the little ol dookie
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

A/F ratio: DocJohn & Oreif pretty much answered this already.

So now you're assuming that we don't check these cars out with scanners.

What would cause you to assume that just because we don't do $1K worth of dyno tuning, that we don't use scanners on them?

BTW: just in case you didn't know, the A/F ratio also shows on the scanner. So if it was lean we'd know it.

You know, it's about time some of you guys wake up.

I've been doing this more than 20 years now. And wether you & your buddies want to admit it of not, we do know what we're doing.

So give it a freakin' rest.

Archie

If you know what your doing, then why are you saying you can read air/fuel with a "scanner". Its fairly obvious that if you used a wideband, you would have said that.

Reading your air/fuel ratio through a narrowband is the absolute dumbest thing you can do, and it shows when the car is actually hooked to a wideband.

When did dyno tuning cost $1000? I had a SD tune along with a 3 bar maf, dyno tune, about 18pulls, and a significant amount of work done on a lift done for $425.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Dyno tuning is getting up there. Considering doc johns been driving the car for a few months now, I think archie did his job, he delivered a reliable swap that is fast as fawk. Yeah he didn't optimise it, in fact he left it at GMs stock setting which in theory is the "safest" tune. I'm sure if you asked archie would dyno tune your car but he never says its included. Another good point made earlier is if you don't like Archie and can't DIY, T.F.B. no one else offers the service.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
And if Archie made that offering, you'd be asking to see a dyno slip to prove 360 RWHP.

Mallet's word is worth more to me, but I would dyno either to make sure the performance is there. If not, it's going back until it's fixed.

Thanks for sharing your "facts" with us Ryan.

Archie

You're welcome. Happy to help. As far as the warranty goes, I'll take what I can get. A warranty, however crappy it is, is better than nothing.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

When did dyno tuning cost $1000? I had a SD tune along with a 3 bar maf, dyno tune, about 18pulls, and a significant amount of work done on a lift done for $425.

You just don't pay attention do you?

You do a couple of junkyard V-6 swaps & you think you know everything. You take a $600.00 junkyard engine & invest $425 in a dyno & you've pretty well doubled the value of the car.

That my friend is the absolute dumbest thing you can do.

Take your $425 & add in $50/hour for whatever time it takes to drive a customers' car 450 miles of normal driving to break in the clutch.

When you're building out of the junkyard you don't have to breakin new parts

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 11-24-2007).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

if you keep all the drivetrain the same and double the hp of the motor the losses at the same rpm and in the same gear remain the same .

No, it won't.

Think about 2 gears - the simplest transmission. You put 100 ft-lbs @ 1000 rpm in. Now you double the horsepower, 200 ft-lbs @ 1000rpm. The friction between the gears is going to be much higher as the teeth slide about each other. They will heat up more. Heat is a power loss and it will increase with power transmission.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

You're welcome. Happy to help. As far as the warranty goes, I'll take what I can get. A warranty, however crappy it is, is better than nothing.

Your apology is not accepted.

You should go back & edit out your incorrect statements on the Mallett costs & revise your comments as to the effectiveness of a warrantee that uses terms like "peeling out".

You should also try to quit embarrassing yourself by posting lies & inaccurate information into threads like this.

Did you even bother to go to the Mallett & read the content there to verify the information you were posting here? Or are you just too busy verify your information for accuracy?

Like many other RFT'ers, you're too busy bashing to give a crap about accuracy ot truth.

Archie
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Direct Link to This Post
someone educate me. what's RFT?
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

You should also try to quit embarrassing yourself by posting lies & inaccurate information into threads like this.

All bold facts are on the page linked above. I'm not going to waste an hour verifying every piece of info on that webpage. My time is worth more than that.

Don't expect a response from any further provocation. You're not worth my time either.
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

All bold facts are on the page linked above. I'm not going to waste an hour verifying every piece of info on that webpage. My time is worth more than that.

Don't expect a response from any further provocation. You're not worth my time either.

You have time to argue in this thread & to monitor this thread every 10 minutes to see if anyone has posted something you can argue with.

You have time to post up your stupid comment about Mallett & even post a link to go with it, but you don't have time to even read that link.

Then why are you wasting so much of your valuable time trying to turn every V-8 swap thread into trashcan material?

It's about time you walk away from this thread, you had nothing to contribute from the beginning then you had to go making up things like that Mallett crap to argue about.

Take a walk bigshot.

Archie

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post

You have time to argue in this thread & to monitor this thread every 10 minutes to see if anyone has posted something you can argue with.
You have time to post up your stupid comment about Mallett & even post a link to go with it, but you don't have time to even read that link.
Then why are you wasting so much of your valuable time trying to turn every V-8 swap thread into trashcan material?
It's about time you walk away from this thread, you had nothing to contribute from the beginning then you had to go making up things like that Mallett crap to argue about.
Take a walk bigshot.
Archie

You haven't contributed anything usefull to this thread, maybe you should take a walk. Then we can get this thread back on topic.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Billybo455:

someone educate me. what's RFT?

Real Fiero Tech, its an offshoot forum created by people who were banned from PFF, a few have accounts on both, a few are trolls from RFT, most of RFT hates archie.
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zac88GT:

You haven't contributed anything usefull

Huh? Hes the one who built the damn car! lol
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Mallet's word is worth more to me, but I would dyno either to make sure the performance is there. If not, it's going back until it's fixed.

Do you believe that if you purchased a brand new vehicle (regardless of make and model) that it will have the exact advertised horsepower and torque?
Do you take your brand new cars to a dyno shop to verify the manufacturer's claimed rating?
Do you really think EVERY 2007 Corvette with an LS2 from Chevrolet engine's will output exactly 400hp @ 6000rpm and 400ft/lbs @ 4400 rpm?

The stock GTO's with LS2's are consistantly running between 320 and 330 rwhp straight from the factory and an LS2 in this particular Fiero reads 330 rwhp. You must remember that the LS2 engines are mass-produced. Regardless if it is installed into a production car or sold as a crate engine, It is still mass-produced and tolerence's vary. The ratings of the engines are based on a sample of the engine and it is tested per SAE spec's. The fact that in a Fiero it is pulling towards the upper end of the typical range on a chassis dyno should tell you that the stock GM tune is a good all around tune. While it is true that with better equipment and sensors the engine can be tuned for it's exact peak performance, The fact remains that the engine is running at the same level of performance and reliability as a brand new GM car. Finally with 330 rwhp pushing a 2800 lbs Fiero, Does it really matter if he spends $400 to have it dyno-tuned for roughly 10 more horsepower?? (The 10 hp is a common amount of gain noted by the LS2 GTO folks who actually have had their engines dyno-tuned.)

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 11-25-2007).]

aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2007 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

It's not wise to send a chip with a brandy-spanking-new engine to customer and NOT burn it at a little rich so he dont ruin it while breaking it in. After the break-in and dyno time, then you get it spot-on.
I meet Jon and saw his car, nice guy, nice car. Can't believe all the trashing, wtf people?

agreed...you know seriously, this is rediculous...this forum is for the sharing of ideas and education, not for bashing and throat-cutting.

let's grow up people. the guy paid for an engine swap, and he got one. If the customer is happy, that is ALL that matters. I don't think Archie gives a flying phuck what any of you guys think about an LS2 swap running "a little rich"... christ almighty...mind your damned business, and stop the bashing.
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2007 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

aaronrus

870 posts
Member since Nov 2003

If you know what your doing, then why are you saying you can read air/fuel with a "scanner". Its fairly obvious that if you used a wideband, you would have said that.

Reading your air/fuel ratio through a narrowband is the absolute dumbest thing you can do, and it shows when the car is actually hooked to a wideband.

Jesus christ, shut the phuck up dude. Give it a god-damned rest.
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:
Huh? Hes the one who built the damn car! lol

What I was trying to get accross is that he's not adding any usefull content to the thread, nor is anyone else that is bickering. I'd hate to see a thread about a car with so much work in it (regardless of what engine it has) go down in flames just because of immature arguing.
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Direct Link to This Post
so where are the pics of the car :P
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock