Started on: 11-21-2007 12:23 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: sspeedstreet on 11-23-2007 04:29 PM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
All of the pinout diagrams I have found for my 1988 GT show a Tan/Blk wire in the C203 "A" position (Shift light). Mine has a gray wire there. Can someone tell me what circuit this is?

Thanks.

------------------
1988 GT, 5-speed, white, beechwood leather, 3.4 DOHC 6-speed installation in process. Really. I am working on it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 450
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I notice that colors vary a bit on these connectors, I would assume its still your upshift light if its in that position.

------------------
Losing site of our roots in the cathode rays.

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
My understanding was the V6's didn't get the upshift light. At least mine has never worked. Maybe the wiring is there but not connected to the '88 computer? I have an upshift output on my swap 9396 computer and figured I'd hook it up, if possible.

Anyone else?

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 11-21-2007).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
^^^
pdemondo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoClick Here to Email pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoDirect Link to This Post
My 88 GT did not have the wiring for the shift light; neither did my Formula.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageClick Here to Email Mickey_MooseSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...just meter the wire out to the connection (C3/1) on the dash that is suppose to be the shift light wire. If it shows continuity, then it is the shift light wire. Or, go back the other way (if still possible) and see where is was connected to the ECM.

Pinouts are usually correct - wire colors not always, but still verify with a meter.
Primaris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PrimarisClick Here to visit Primaris's HomePageSend a Private Message to PrimarisDirect Link to This Post
Did the '88 GT's come with a upshift light from the factory? My '88 GT does not have one.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedClick Here to Email FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I have no wire in my C203 position A on my 5 speed 88GT. I guess it is safe to assume it doesn't exist. It's a shame, because I went through the trouble of wiring the shift light for my 3.4 DOHC, but I never checked the CAR for the wire till now... We really need a resourse somewhere that has all the correct pinouts for all configurations and years as they were produced. It's actually quite difficult to find a pinout for the C500 for an 84, Unless you happen to have the factory manual. Little resourses like that are a boon when you are doing an engine swap. Maybe I will have to make it a personal mission.
black88fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroClick Here to Email black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post
ya my 88 4 cyl; had no wire in a and my shift light was the color that it said but was not in the right spot

------------------
Parts for your FWD GM 97-07
Morad Parts Company
Moradpartscompany

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
...just meter the wire out to the connection (C3/1) on the dash that is suppose to be the shift light wire. If it shows continuity, then it is the shift light wire. Or, go back the other way (if still possible) and see where is was connected to the ECM.

Pinouts are usually correct - wire colors not always, but still verify with a meter.

It's all still open while I chase down the last few unconnected wires. You've pointed out the obvious answer; chase the wire and see where it goes. But it does seem to open the question: There is definitely a grey wire in the "A" slot. A couple others here say there's no wire at all in their's. I'll post what I find when I trace it.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageClick Here to Email Mickey_MooseSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
according to the 88 factory service manual:

there is no shift light on the 2.8l motor

the 2.5l motor however, shows the shift light connected. From C3/1 on the gages to C203/P to ECM C1/7 (TAN/BLK wire).

I also do know that in 88, the cars are not always as they are suppose to be. Towards the end of production things where left undone (my 88 never had the front compartment switch installed (the wiring was tucked up inside the harness)). So could the wire be for something that was suppose to happen or in the early production cars - anything is possible.

Of course this wire could have been added by a previous owner, but it's odd that someone would install the pins on the wire and insert them into the plug. That is only something that I would do because I am weird (or anal) when it comes to that kind of stuff, most people just run the wire.

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:
We really need a resourse somewhere that has all the correct pinouts for all configurations and years as they were produced. It's actually quite difficult to find a pinout for the C500 for an 84, Unless you happen to have the factory manual.

Myself I would prefer to buy the manual for all my cars (they all have one) - sure they are not cheap, but they are well worth it in case you have to look up some odd stupid little item. Again, that is just me

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 11-22-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

I also do know that in 88, the cars are not always as they are suppose to be. Towards the end of production things where left undone (my 88 never had the front compartment switch installed (the wiring was tucked up inside the harness)).

On that front compartment switch, I wanted to add the light to my front compartment. There was already a wire for it in the C100 (cabin side), but nothing else. I was looking at an '85 here in town to see where the pin switch was supposed to be mounted. The owner said it didn't have the light either, but his had the switch, all the wiring and the bulb holder. But no bulb and no bracket to hold it.

Yeah, you never know what you'll find.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetClick Here to Email sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
OK, here's proof I have no pride. I put the gray wire in there. Been so long since I did it I forgot. It's a 5V reference for the A/C pressure sensor added in the front compartment.

Well, I've been working for a "factory installed" look. Fooled me, anyway.

Now look away while I shrink from view.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock