...Now my Brake Lights won't Work by eph_kay
Started on: 11-20-2007 07:04 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: eph_kay on 11-21-2007 09:45 PM
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
I think there is a chance I got my battery issue solved, not sure though, and I finally got my ball joints back on, and now my brake lights don't work. Well I took my car to the shop to have them look at it and guess what, it is a shop we take our family cars too but this was the first fiero, they don't have the wire diagrams or the set up on their alignment machine for the fiero...

Anyway, i want to try and fix this myself, even though I have been looking at everything I know about for the last couple days, and I have found nothing, so I come to you guys.

I have done a 3800 swap and a fastback swap to my 88 coupe. On the fast back harness I have cut all the wires past the driver side marker, and just put the blower wires up in the frame rail. My car didn't come with cruise, but it was added, properly with a cruise stalk and all, which i have unplugged due to removing the cruise with the swap. Both of my other fieros have cruise so I can't switch the switch to see if that is the problem, orielly's is getting me one in tomorrow morning, but I am not sure the guy ordered what I really needed...

All I know is when my battery was first dyeing the fuse that had the most load going through it was the taillight one. I hope that is something that is relevant, and I hope you guys have some ideas on what is wrong with it.

Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
eph_kay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
Even just something for me to check would be great help.

Chris
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
The small ground comeing off the battery will probubley cause the tail lights to not work.
A bad brake pedal switch will cause the same problem.
Check your fuses.
The wireing harness directeley above the battery can cause wire chafeing or rubbing on the chassie.
If you still got problems there is a common ground for the tail lights inside the passenger side inner fender well.
eph_kay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
Well I moved the battery up front, and I have a ground running from up front on the "-" to the block and then to the frame. I originally didn't have the ground on the passenger frame rail, but I added it back in, I also replaced the brake pedal switch today and nothing...

Chris
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Take a test light and ground it to the engine. Make sure the fuse is good and turn on the emergency flashers. See if they work. They use the same circuits as the brake lights, as do the turn signals. If they don't come on, take the test light and see if there is a 12 volt signal coming back there by removing one of the brake light bulbs and probe the two terminals. One should be blinking on and off if there is a signal. Make sure you ground the test light to the engine, and not the factory ground for the brake lights. Do your parking lights come on? They share the same ground. Back up lights ditto.
Joe
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i'm out.
this is a nochie swap to a fast back.
with an engine swap!!!

all bets are off

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 11-22-2007).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Take out one of your tail light sockets out,with the bulb still installed,turn on your lights, now ground the negitive plug wire to the engine and see if it lights up (it has to be a bulb,that should be on).That will tell you if it's a ground problem in the passenger wheel well.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 11-21-2007).]

eph_kay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
That is one of the things that stumps me most, I replaced the switch and even before i did that the parking lights and turn/hazard signals have always been working...

I am going to go check again, just see if they work, or anything, I am taking it to a different shop on monday, the guy thinks the brake lights not working and the battery draining are related... we will see, but i would love to find out what the problem is before hand...

Chris

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock