Started on: 11-20-2007 01:21 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-21-2007 02:53 PM
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
but it turned out that i have too much light in my garage and my helment was already "dimmed"
i turned off the lights and i was able to see just fine.

i did have a slag burn through my glove on to my ring finger.
so that kinda sucks.

but anyway, dont rule out that you already have too much light.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I hate mine, going to get one that has a static lens in it. Turned up to the highest setting I still have to wear burning glasses under it.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
although this is technical in a way.
it doesn't have anything to do with fieros., so i could have put it in OT.
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
Well you didn,t get a flash from it .your lucky there if ever come to have big one and I wish you never do ,but if so to maybe you heard that before to what best for flashes is to get for the pain of burn and sand seem like to your eye is ( tea bags ) ..

It give me a real good night sleep whit free pain and lots of rest then am ok the next day whit only red eye and also help the swelling .
But need to be warm to cover your eyes and take a wrap around your head so the don,t come lose and stain your bed lol..just a head up ! work 100 % for me when I get one from a 400 welder ..oh and another thing that may sound crazy also is if happen to lift your helmet and get a flash buy the touch of the Rod or wire mig its nice to look directly at something yellow by staring at it for haft a minute also help of getting one .
....Rob

.Just my two tips !! that work for me to carry on whit easier pain if ever happen ........
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
hmm, interesting. my helmet is light even in sunlight, but is too dark even on the lightest setting when welding. I mean I can just see a light spot at the arc, but NO detail on the work. much darker than the set glass helmet, which I think now has #12 glass in it.(one of the darkest glasses I have)
it is self powered, so I put a dark lexan plate over the solar panel, and now I can get an adjustment range.
as for flash, it is way faster than I can drop the lens on the normal helmet, fast enough to not see the 2nd spark on a striker.
it is a tad dark to begin with also, I mst have light to see the start of the work, and that doesn;t change with ambient light.
All these helemts have quirks it seems. I tried a couple different ones at a supply shop, and honestly, for 200+$ I think they work worse than the 50$ harbor frieght one I ended up buying. they were slower to respond, and not dark enough on an arc, at least IMHO.
and given a choice I want darker than lighter.

Billybo455

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Direct Link to This Post
odd timing. mine was giving me some crap the other night. i started to tig and it would only last for about 2-3 seconds. i bought a tractor supply one last night and it works great! i love them when they work!
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2007 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I used to use a fixed helmet until I got my auto dimming one. I was using something like a #13 filter in the fixed helmet and it really was waay to dark. I did not understand that it really does not matter what # filter you use, they all filter the UV the same, the only difference is in how much ambient light they let through. So if you are welding with a high current you need a darker filter to reduce the visible light.
My auto dimming one is a Hobart one and it's great. I don't have it turned up so much so now I CAN see what I'm burning, oops, I mean welding and I can see what I'm doing before I strike the ark.
I do all my welding in the garage though, usually near the door so the overhead door shields me from the lights in the garage and I'm just far enough inside not to be bothered by the sun. I have wondered outside a couple of times with the helmet down and nearly fallen over when it suddenly goes black! I can see the auto helmet might not be so great for outdoor use in the sun, but personally I think it's great, at least for the small amount of welding that I do.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
I bought my auto helmet from Harbor Freight, opened it outside the store, looked at the sun...GLARE YOW

That's how I discovered that it only turns dark at pulsed light sources. Steady-state sources, no.

OTOH when I had my picture taken while wearing it, it nicely blocked out the flash.

It'll darken if I look directly at a working light bulb, so I can see how having too much light on in the workshop could do it. (My niece and nephews fought over getting to do that trick for a little while )

Sadly I haven't used my welder enough (yet) to know how good the mask is for actual welding.

Ed

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Mine workd really well, I can see in normal light and it's perfect for when I'm welding. I paid a fortune for it though.

Nolan
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I have a cheap harbor Freight one and for the small amount of welding that I do, it's okay. I tried to see how I looked in the mirror and when I turned on the light, it darkened. So ambient light can affect it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock