Started on: 11-18-2007 01:48 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: SuperchargedV6 on 11-21-2007 03:52 PM
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2007 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Guess what....yes yes... *sob* I busted my rear window.

My car is pretty much torn down anyway, so I guess it was the best time to shatter. So how exactly do you get safety out, besides removing the rear clip to get to it. Full rundown it possible.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: clarification... I already shattered it. I need to know how to get another one out since I hear they aren't in production anymore.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 11-18-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
This is how I did one. I duct taped it then let my daughter smak it. I pulled it out in one large piece and vacumed while cutting the rubber out. Easier than trying to cut it out whole and snapping it. Rick

[This message has been edited by SuperchargedV6 (edited 11-18-2007).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2007 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
My bad.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 11-18-2007).]

HTXtremes

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
I removed the rear window in one piece unbroken with a windshield removal kit from Harbor Freight Tools. I did it by myself but two people would be much easier. The kit contains two handles, a roll of wire, and the tool for pushing the wire through the glue. you get the wire through and assemble the handles on the ends, then using a sawing action you cut through the glue all the way around the window until it will come out. Hint once you make it up each side and over the top you can tilt the window out and use a razer blade to cut along the bottom edge from inside the car.

------------------
'88 Coupe (extensive mods underway)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/086359.html

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
How the heck do you actually get it *out* though? I was able to remove all the black goo from the inside on my previous '88 coupe, but just could NOT get the dang thing out of the body.. I removed the inner "sail" window covers (black plastic), and the decklid. Just couldn't make it squeeze out. Ended up re-sealing it with the window still in the frame, was real fun. (seal was bad, reason for doing it in the first place.) Myself and the new owner tried for quite some time to get it out with no success. Didn't want to remove the trunk hinges which may have helped, because we wouldn't have been able to get them back in place without removing some fingers. I did it in college by myself, but can't remember how... Do you need to remove the trunk hinges?

------------------
Bob Williams
Working on the next 3800 swap, it works now!!!

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2007 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about the hinges. Buts that's no problem at all. The motor's already out, the hinges are right there, and I'm going to be swapping the notch back panels. Shouldn't be a problem getting it out I guess.

Anyone have experience with installing a rear window... that's my question now I guess.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I pulled one out a couple weeks ago for someone (they sold the car so did take it) anyway was my first time and was interesting.

I used a windshield knive, took about an hour and a 1/2 since I didn't want to break it.

Once I got it cut out I couldn't get it out either. I removed the two inside triangle black trim pieces and still could not get it out until I removed the black strips that the hood vents set on and then it came right out.
So you might try getting it loose and then removing the vent mounts. It might slip down and out if the hinges or out of the way...
SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Install is easy as you make sure you get the surface pretty even but you do not have to remove all of the rubber if you have a problem. Professionals cut it like said above and then do a once over to take large globs away and seal right on the old sealer. Next you buy two tubes of window sealant and squeeze it out in a even 1/2 inch line on the frame not the glass. Then you place the window in but I think there are shims to put the window in so it doesn't slip down. Also you tape it in place up top so it doesn't slip away. Rick

[This message has been edited by SuperchargedV6 (edited 11-18-2007).]

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Get yourself a 2 inch wide brass putty knife/spreader. Bent a 30* angle or so in it and sharpen the edge. From inside the car use the putty knife to cut the seal.It will take some time to cut the seal so be patient. Cut the seal on the sides and top first. Once those parts of the seal is cut push the top of the window out (use a helper) and then cut the bottom of the seal. Be careful though, there are little plastic pieces that are in the seal that help keep the glass even to the chassis (kinda like locating spacers) . i did this and used the piano wire tecnique. Found the plastic spacers the hard way.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Solution:
Use the Wayback Machine to go back in time and not break it in the first place!

Good luck Paul. You might have your car back on the road before me...

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 11-19-2007).]

ducattiman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

This is how I did one. I duct taped it then let my daughter smak it. I pulled it out in one large piece and vacumed while cutting the rubber out. Easier than trying to cut it out whole and snapping it. Rick

LOL......thats ur pic????

lmao omg i have all ur other pics and u were doing a kitcar...
PFF
System Bot
fierodeletre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:

How the heck do you actually get it *out* though? I was able to remove all the black goo from the inside on my previous '88 coupe, but just could NOT get the dang thing out of the body.. I removed the inner "sail" window covers (black plastic), and the decklid. Just couldn't make it squeeze out. Ended up re-sealing it with the window still in the frame, was real fun. (seal was bad, reason for doing it in the first place.) Myself and the new owner tried for quite some time to get it out with no success. Didn't want to remove the trunk hinges which may have helped, because we wouldn't have been able to get them back in place without removing some fingers. I did it in college by myself, but can't remember how... Do you need to remove the trunk hinges?

That was a fun rainy day in the mall parking lot, wasn't it, Bob? btw the car still runs strong and makes me smile whenever I look at it!

------------------
1984 Fiero SE, White, first love, sold...
1986 Fiero SE 2M6, gold
1988 Fiero 2M4, the Fox
1987 Fiero GT, Blue, 3.4/4T40
Still looking for that perfect CJB 88 GT...

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2007 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

I pulled one out a couple weeks ago for someone (they sold the car so did take it) anyway was my first time and was interesting.

I used a windshield knive, took about an hour and a 1/2 since I didn't want to break it.

Once I got it cut out I couldn't get it out either. I removed the two inside triangle black trim pieces and still could not get it out until I removed the black strips that the hood vents set on and then it came right out.
So you might try getting it loose and then removing the vent mounts. It might slip down and out if the hinges or out of the way...

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

Install is easy as you make sure you get the surface pretty even but you do not have to remove all of the rubber if you have a problem. Professionals cut it like said above and then do a once over to take large globs away and seal right on the old sealer. Next you buy two tubes of window sealant and squeeze it out in a even 1/2 inch line on the frame not the glass. Then you place the window in but I think there are shims to put the window in so it doesn't slip down. Also you tape it in place up top so it doesn't slip away. Rick

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

Get yourself a 2 inch wide brass putty knife/spreader. Bent a 30* angle or so in it and sharpen the edge. From inside the car use the putty knife to cut the seal.It will take some time to cut the seal so be patient. Cut the seal on the sides and top first. Once those parts of the seal is cut push the top of the window out (use a helper) and then cut the bottom of the seal. Be careful though, there are little plastic pieces that are in the seal that help keep the glass even to the chassis (kinda like locating spacers) . i did this and used the piano wire tecnique. Found the plastic spacers the hard way.

Wonderful!

I got a quote from my window buddy today. He said he'd install an already removed piece for $75.

But here's the fork in the road again: Let him do it and save time and have the knowledge that it will never leak vs. Do it and learn something new that I can use the rest of my life.

I'm going to do it if I can. I think the biggest thing I have going for me is that the entire car will be down to the space frame ( I have something else up my sleeve.)

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Solution:
Use the Wayback Machine to go back in time and not break it in the first place!

Good luck Paul. You might have your car back on the road before me...

Don't I wish!
I hope it will be done soon too, thanks for the encouragement!
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Learn to fish man. You'll eat for a lifetime.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Younggun88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Younggun88Send a Private Message to Younggun88Direct Link to This Post
Do it yourself. good luck can't wait to see it all done and on the road. BTW i finally got my car lowered and it looks great. Happy Thanksgiving.
SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:

LOL......thats ur pic????

lmao omg i have all ur other pics and u were doing a kitcar...

Actually that was about 5 years ago and I cancelled out the kit car as the Supercharged came along. The car in the back is the Supercharged when I first got it. Rick

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock