4.5 l caddy swap by zetabird
Started on: 11-17-2007 09:27 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: zetabird on 11-30-2007 05:10 PM
zetabird

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2007 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
hopfully if i can swing the money this week il be picking up a 120,000 mile caddy that was rear ended for 150 bucks no it is a complete running car but what else do i need thats not on eather my fiero 85 2.5 auto or the caddy. im keeping my auto out of the fiero and it will be carbed before it gose into the fiero, isent there a stock caddy intake that was TBI that will fit the heads that are on the PFI motor
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
882m8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 882m8Send a Private Message to 882m8Direct Link to This Post
89 and prior is TBI... Good Luck
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2007 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zetabird:

hopfully if i can swing the money this week il be picking up a 120,000 mile caddy that was rear ended for 150 bucks no it is a complete running car but what else do i need thats not on eather my fiero 85 2.5 auto or the caddy. im keeping my auto out of the fiero and it will be carbed before it gose into the fiero, isent there a stock caddy intake that was TBI that will fit the heads that are on the PFI motor

use the 4 speed from the caddy.. equal accleration, BETTER gas mileage... the 4.9L is a real dog for gas miliage above 3k rpms.. and a 3 speed auto wont keep it below that on the highway, but the stock caddy will easily
aaronrus

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2007 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

aaronrus

870 posts
Member since Nov 2003

Originally posted by aaronrus:

use the 4 speed from the caddy.. equal accleration, BETTER gas mileage... the 4.9L is a real dog for gas miliage above 3k rpms.. and a 3 speed auto wont keep it below that on the highway, but the stock caddy will easily

why on earth would you not want to retain the fuel injection? ist superior in power, TQ, AND fuel economy
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
For once I agree with Aaron... plug the Caddy powertrain into your Fiero whole. You'll get better mileage and better driveability by sticking with the PFI and 4 speed auto and you won't sacrifice any power.
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
i knew people would tell me to stay FI but i have my resons unless some thing changes with the swap as a whole or some one can tell me of a real easy way to fix the harnesses
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The real easy way to "fix" the harnesses:

One wire at a time.

Is either the harness that came with the engine or the harness in the recipient car damaged?

Ed Parks at the Fiero Factory ( www.thefierofactory.com ) does turn key 4.9 swaps and has a plug/play harness manufactured from new expressly for him. He may not sell you one because he doesn't like to do remote tech support, but the harnesses are made by www.injectiontechnologies.com and they might sell you one.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-18-2007).]

zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
the harnes in the fiero is pretty damaged its had two or three remot start and alrmes in it and there have been quite a few shrts and wire fires
aaronrus

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zetabird:

the harnes in the fiero is pretty damaged its had two or three remot start and alrmes in it and there have been quite a few shrts and wire fires

just replace the damaged sections of harness.. simple
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
ok i should be picking up the motr here soon and ihave setteld on using a 2bbl carb and the caddy trany is it possible for the cassy cpu to be used to controle just the tranny what tells it when to shift
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
A 4.5 will have a 4t60, not an electronic controlled 4t60E. It does not need a computer to shift, but you will need something to make the torque converter lock up. If you were considering keeping an ecm for just the tranny, go ahead and keep everything together for the injection too. It is not rocket science- hell, if I can figure it out, it can't be that hard.
PFF
System Bot
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdDirect Link to This Post
so the only ones that had te 40t60 e were the 4.9s then i dont have to worry abuot any off that then ok thanks now whats this about the axles and mounts il need ive read about j6000 axles i think

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock