2.8 heads upgrade by burtonx
Started on: 11-15-2007 06:29 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: nfswift on 11-16-2007 12:31 PM
burtonx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for burtonxSend a Private Message to burtonxDirect Link to This Post
What other gm heads can you put on a stock 2.8 for better performance?

------------------
<::NICK::>

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
None, the Fiero heads are HO (High Output) already. You can build them into performance heads with SI stainless steel valves, better springs, full roller rockers and some porting and polishing.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
Not to hi-jack this thread because its a good question, but is there any other heads that can be installed on the 2.8l V6 block other than the HO heads??

Is this a possiblity that rebuilders can make this mistake?? Or the 8 digit # on the heads is what pervents this?

fierogt28
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
S10 iron heads work and you'll sure know the difference when the engine is running.

Arn
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
Arn, you've got a PM...

Thanks,

fierogt28
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
There are two different sets of iron heads for the 2.8L.
The original heads were small valved and generally used on the carb'd 2.8L engines up to 1985.
The H.O. heads have larger valves and were used on 2.8L, 3.1L, and 3.4L engines until 1995

Not sure which aluminum heads will fit on a Fiero 2.8L, But when switching to aluminum heads you need different pistons and the Fiero intake will not bolt up.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The S10 heads will drop you a good 20-25 hp.

Arn
nfswift

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nfswiftSend a Private Message to nfswiftDirect Link to This Post
If you're after performance, do yourself a favor and pick up a newer aluminum head engine V6 for a rebuild.

I was going to do a performance build 3.4L out of a Camaro, which uses the same heads as us just on a bigger engine, but I've done a lot of homework and I couldn't bear to put another set of iron heads on my car once I saw what the aluminum heads and intakes were able to improve on comared to our setup.

Please refer to this thread on the Full Throttle V6 forum as to what the benefits are to switching, it also has pictures to demonstrate the design differences, hope it helps.

http://www.fullthrottlev6.c...howthread.php?t=6752

If you want a little more power but want to stay stock, then keep your heads, but put them on a 3.4L bottom end from a Camaro, you'll be picking up some decent power, and you can free up a little bit more by porting and polishing the heads, porting the exhaust, adding a new camshaft, and then tuning it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock