A few Northstar swap questions by buds
Started on: 11-11-2007 10:39 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Russ544 on 11-12-2007 09:53 AM
buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Just picked up a 93 STS and a 94 STS....I Think I will be using the 94 as it has lower KMS but does need a head gasket. I will be swapping into an '88 GT 5 speed.

1. As far as mounting the engine in the proper location....I assume I just mount the engine to my trans...Hang over the cradle....Mount trans in the stock location and then fab up mounts ? That makes stock axles good to go ?

2. Can I use my fiero alternator ?

3. Coilovers in the rear are a must ?

4. Anything else I should replace while doing head gaskets on a northstar ?

I am sure I'll have a few more questions...Just need to finish off my garage/shop re-model then I'm swapping. Ohhh I did just take both these cars for a spin....and WOW....even in the huge STS that northstar kicks azz.

Mike
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zac88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buds:

Just picked up a 93 STS and a 94 STS....I Think I will be using the 94 as it has lower KMS but does need a head gasket. I will be swapping into an '88 GT 5 speed.

1. As far as mounting the engine in the proper location....I assume I just mount the engine to my trans...Hang over the cradle....Mount trans in the stock location and then fab up mounts ? That makes stock axles good to go ?

2. Can I use my fiero alternator ?

4. Anything else I should replace while doing head gaskets on a northstar ?

I am sure I'll have a few more questions...Just need to finish off my garage/shop re-model then I'm swapping. Ohhh I did just take both these cars for a spin....and WOW....even in the huge STS that northstar kicks azz.

Mike

If you mount the transmission in the original location the original axles can be used, but keep in mind the front cross member of the cradle must be removed and a custom one put in a few inches forward. You can do this while keeping your original front tranny mount or make another one. You can probably use the fiero alternator if you wish but you will have to make your own mount for it. The stock cadillac alternator is in the perfect location and works great to begin with so why make it more complicated? Not to sure if coilovers are a must, I have them, but i dont think that they are 100% required. When you're replacing the head gaskets some of the headbolt threads may strip from the block. Just something to be aware of, timecert them or use norms inserts on ebay if they do.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Unless you move the engine further to the left ( driverside) you will probably have to use coilovers to make clearance for the notch that you will have to cut out of the passenger side strutower on an 88 for rear head clearance due to the fact that the 88 strutowers are a few inches closer to each other than the pre 88 towers. The stock springs are too large diameter wise to not interfere with a notch in the strut tower. I am doing this swap on an 88 and that does seem to be the consensus on a 88 swap unless you want to use custom axles and move the engine to the left ...its not hard to do ..just window the strut tower and rebos it in and of course shell out some money for the coilovers..there are build threads that address the coilover on the cheap

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 11-12-2007).]

Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
The 88 Fiero alternator was the same size and had the same connection as the one on my 98 N*. I didn't use coilovers on my 88 swap, but I did move the engine to the left about 3/4" (ok with stock axles) and cut a small (2"?) windowe in the tower for clearance around a protrusion on the head. I attached a small piece of rubber inside the tower to cover the hole and you'd never even know it was there.

Russ544

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock