whitch engine to put in? by 86_fiero_gt_92
Started on: 11-10-2007 11:47 AM
Replies: 23
Last post by: ly041181 on 11-12-2007 12:11 AM
86_fiero_gt_92

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Direct Link to This Post
hey i just bought my first car, a 1986 pontiac fiero gt fastback (project car) and i wanted to know witch engine to put in it becouse the one in is now is "gone". i was thinking a 3.1 3.4 or a 3.8 supercharged. i wanted to know which is easyest to swap. and if the 3.8 neds allot of cutting and new engine mounts? if people can tell me what they know about swaping thease engines in a fiero i would be very gratefull thanks

P.S. dose anyone know where i can get thoes stege II sidescoops?

if you want to see my car go to http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2910644

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
3800 is not alot of cutting, biggest thing is wiring. the 3.1 would be the easiest from what I have heard, personally never done one but seems to basically be just the same as a 2.8. most power would be the 3800sc.

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)

Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Gone as in the engine is not there? Or it's just broke?

If the stock 2.8 engine is still present then easiest would be 3.1 from a FWD car as it's simply a plug and play. The 3.4 is next easiest with a few minor mods like relocating the starter. If the stock engine is not present in the car then just go with the 3800 SC.

Easy is relative. Do you have a budget in mind? Tools? Garage? How are your fabricating skills?
buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
I went and looked at that one as well...definetly a project car. I will have a complete great running 130K 2.8 for sale soon if you want to go that route.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. It really depends on what you want to do with the car. Probably the easiest swap would be a 3.4 but the 3800SC looks great in the back of a Fiero and it pushes it along nicely.
If it wasn't for the fact that I found my kit I would have probably gone with the 3.4 just because it requires less work but then I would probably not been happy with it. Having 280 to 340 HP is a lot of fun in a Fiero and it gets attention.
If you have the tools and can read the books I would think the 3800 would probably be the best bang for the money. You can upgrade the tranny at the same time and it should also get pretty good gas mileage.
Good luck
Jake
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
Although I've recently swapped my aged 2.8L for an essentially all-new 3.4L, I'd agree with Hudini's assessment regarding what is the easiest "swap" of the three alternatives you've mentioned:

Easiest of the 3 You've Mentioned:
  1. 3.1L
  2. 3.4L
  3. 3800SC
Incidentally, a "swap" by my definition does not include another 2.8L for your current 2.8L, and in fact that was not even one of the three options you'd mentioned. However, if in hindsight you think that should be included, then yes, that 2.8L "swap" for your existing 2.8L technically could be called the "easiest."

A related point is that while I've no idea what emissions inspections you or anyone else faces anywhere in Canada, the first two options above easily would be the least visually noticeable to any "emissions police" --- by far.

It sounds to me, however, like you may have already talked yourself into the 3800SC swap.

If so, be advised that while it's a fine swap, you'll just need to justify it to yourself on some basis other than "easiest" (or for that matter, least noticeable).

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with your project, and welcome to Pennock's Fiero Forum!
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
wiring is the same with all motors swaps, unless your talking about a 3.4 bottom end on a 2.8.

3800 offers most power for money, and most likely the most durability and near best gas mileage.

------------------
Losing site of our roots in the cathode rays.

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2007 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
wiring is the same with all motors swaps, unless your talking about a 3.4 bottom end on a 2.8.

For the benefit of this thread's originator, 86_fiero_gt_92, could you clarify what you mean by that statement?

Surely you're not asserting that a pushrod 3.4L crank (your "bottom end" term) needed for a 3.1L engine requires wiring modifications as sophisticated as those required for a 3800SC engine swap, are you?

Phrased differently, you don't mean to imply that implementing the wiring required for a 3800SC swap is just as easy as implementing the wiring required for a pushrod 3.4L swap, do you?
86_fiero_gt_92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Direct Link to This Post
to ancer some of your questions:
i got a big garage (about 6 cars fit)(its my dads mechanics garage)
i got tools(because its at a mechanics garage)
fabricating skills (between me my dad and his mechanic i think we got it)
buget(hoping to do it in 1000 but i got 700 more as a back up)
what i ment by "the engine is gone" is that my dads mechanic said its better to put in a different engine.

one more question i have is do i need to change the trans if a swap the engine for a 3.1 3.4 or 3.8?
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
if its an auto you can keep the same trans for the 3.1 and 3.4 but if your doing the 3800sc the auto would bolt up but its not really worth it because the stock auto isnt strong enough. If its a manual you could keep it depending on which one it is.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
If you are within driving distance of Belleville Ont. drop by and I can show you either a 3800SC swap in progress or one finished depedning on when you drop by. I can also show you a 2004 Grand Am 3400 engine that is going into a Fiero to give you an idea of what is involved with that swap. Fiero people are always welcome at my place. Dan

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631
www.photosled.com/showgallery/cat/1583

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86_fiero_gt_92:

buget(hoping to do it in 1000 but i got 700 more as a back up)

Everything you mentioned sounded great until I saw your budget. I know the Canadian dollar is strong right now, but you are not going to get very far on even $1700. If you buy a ready built 3800 SC wiring harness you have blown almost your entire budget, not to mention the mounts and you still have to buy the engine..

I suppose if you do 100% of the work yourself you might be able to do it for that budget, but if money is tight I would stay towards the low end of your scale with another 2.8 or maybe a 3.1.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

P.S. dose anyone know where i can get thoes stege II sidescoops?

In regard to your question, Fiero Shop International (which seems to have a good reputation)is one source for "Stage 2" scoops.

On their website, they've a good picture of the Stage 2 scoops after installation : http://www.fieroshop.com.au...roduct.php?product=2

Keep in mind that many who install Stage 2 scoops either lose the Fiero's cold air induction system (not good for power), or they retain it by fabricating their own CAI system behind the driver's side fenderwell. Although functional, the latter makes changing the air filter far less convenient than is changing the air filter with the stock Fiero CAI system.

By the way, I'm not knocking the Stage 2 scoops; I personally think they look great, but sometimes people forget some of the potential drawbacks associated with installing them.

Finally, I don't know what the shipping cost would be for Fiero Shop International to send those Stage 2 scoops from Australia (where they're located) to your home in Canada, but I'd think they'd be substantial. Maybe somebody else here on Pennock's Fiero Forum knows of a different source for Stage 2 scoops that is closer to you.
86_fiero_gt_92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Direct Link to This Post
i was loking this morning on the internet and i found a 2.8 with 155k and a 4spd trans for sale for 150$ the person said the engine was in a 85 gt dayly driver so im thinking about getting that but i wana know if there is any was of seeing if the engine is good if it is out of the car
86_fiero_gt_92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Direct Link to This Post

86_fiero_gt_92

452 posts
Member since Nov 2007

Originally posted by buds:

I went and looked at that one as well...definetly a project car. I will have a complete great running 130K 2.8 for sale soon if you want to go that route.

how much would you want for that 2.8?
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

i was loking this morning on the internet and i found a 2.8 with 155k and a 4spd trans for sale for 150$ the person said the engine was in a 85 gt dayly driver so im thinking about getting that but i wana know if there is any was of seeing if the engine is good if it is out of the car

86_fiero_gt_92, maybe somebody else here has an easy way of providing an answer to your question, but given that the 155,000-mile engine you've mentioned already is out of the car, purchasing it sounds like a very risky gamble to me --- unless you know and can trust its previous owner.

Caveat emptor.

CorvetteFan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CorvetteFan86Click Here to visit CorvetteFan86's HomePageSend a Private Message to CorvetteFan86Direct Link to This Post
Like what others have said, what do you want out of your car? Do you want it to be the fastest thing possible for things such as running at the drag strip? If you have never riden in fiero in general I would recommend doing so. When i got my fiero i didnt even got to drive it because we wanted to get right on it. So then after it was said and done me and my dad rebuilt the 2.8l and it was ok for ahwile then i wanted more power so i ended up switchin out the motor i just rebuilt to put the 3800sc motor in. Find out what YOU want it for first then go from there. Youll end up happier this way.

Tommy

------------------

-1986 GT
-Swapped 2001 GTP motor Series II with 40k miles
-Auto Meter gauge pod (Oil, Boost, Battery)
-3.4 Pulley
-True cold air intake
-Flowmaster 80 series muffler with 2.5inch mendrel bent exhaust tubing

86_fiero_gt_92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Direct Link to This Post
the car would be used to get me to school and work in the summer for now but as i get older i would like to take it to the drag. the thing im not shur about is should i put in a 2.8 entill i need more power or just put in a bigger engine and save money in the long run. i havent even thought about putting in a nother 2.8 but now i see it is alot cheper the puting in a different one and it would be good enough for me for a while and it would leave me with more money to get the body work and interior done
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

the car would be used to get me to school and work in the summer for now

Given everything that you said...I would definitely recommend another 2.8L motor. The other swaps are going to be more time and money. If you can get a motor from someone you trust then just put it in. Otherwise, I would suggest rebuilding it first, then you know what you have.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I did my 3800 swap just so I could drive it to school, I really had no idea that it would run 12's.
86_fiero_gt_92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Direct Link to This Post

I did my 3800 swap just so I could drive it to school, I really had no idea that it would run 12's.

how much did it cost you?
PFF
System Bot
N2weeks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2007 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N2weeksSend a Private Message to N2weeksDirect Link to This Post
Anything but a V8.

Turbo > N/A V8 allll day.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I went from no fieros, and no motors to a 3800 swapped 88 fiero for about $1000 after it was all said and done, I had a few great deals though.
ly041181

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly041181Send a Private Message to ly041181Direct Link to This Post

I went from no fieros, and no motors to a 3800 swapped 88 fiero for about $1000 after it was all said and done, I had a few great deals though.

I hate you..... lol

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock