Rear end feels loose by rlinn84
Started on: 11-08-2007 11:40 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: rlinn84 on 11-09-2007 04:52 PM
rlinn84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rlinn84Send a Private Message to rlinn84Direct Link to This Post
In our 1985 4cyl there are times when the rear end feels as if it is on ice. real loose and im not sure how to fix it. HELP please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear wheel bearings... check them.. I had a bad one.. when you hit the accelerator.. the backend swished.....like you say..feels like the backend is on an icerink...
rlinn84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rlinn84Send a Private Message to rlinn84Direct Link to This Post
I will check those. Did yours feel the same way if you were steering to avoid an item on the road quickly as well
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
If ANY of your rear suspension parts are worn out, the back end will feel loose. That includes wheel bearings, as previously mentioned, inner and outer tie rod ends, and lower ball joints. Any of them can cause what you're feeling.

John Stricker
befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
I had a drivers side A-arm, wher the metal bushing inside the rubber bushing was worn, and it didnt clamp to the cradle properly, and therefore was loose, and it was kinda scary when you would downshift or accelerate on the highway, and the back end would steer alittle. I soon changed the A-arm, and it is good now.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
My thought would be to get an estimate from a professional repair shop. They've got lifts, tools and expertise to accurately tell you what the difficulties are, from there you can decide if you want to tackle the project yourself or let them do it at a later time.

The most important part is to get accurate information right away so you don't unnecessarily put yourself at risk in a 22 year old car with a loose rear end.
kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rlinn84:

I will check those. Did yours feel the same way if you were steering to avoid an item on the road quickly as well

Yes... it did.. It got so bad.. if there was a chance of snow.. I left he car at home and took my truck...

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Mine felt like that, alot. I had new struts put in and a rear alightment done, all fixed. I suspect the struts are your cause, but you will need an alignment after putting new struts in anyway.
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
I am having the same problem but I recently dropped out the cradle and then put it back in. Do you guys think it is just alignment(everything worked just fine before) or something else?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
Fiero rear ends are fussy things. any peice back there can give ya an uneasy feeling.
most common problems are the a-arm bushings & soft springs/struts.
next most common is bad alignment. if your rear toe is bad - your rear wheels will fight each other for traction - and have BADLY worn edges.
less common - but still important are the rear wheel bearings & axle nut, the rear balljoints & the rear tie-rods. these parts last alot longer than the above - but still are endlessly important to keeping the wheels straight.

and - of course - I have read this has happened here on PFF - not quite sure how - but someone managed to lose/break the rear cradle bolts. yes - that is the true loose rear end, eh?
Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
Having read all of the above, how about rusted frame rails?

I'm having the same problems with my 85 Sport, and have at this point, completely rebuilt my suspension, bushings, struts, shocks, ball joints, etc., etc. The backend on my car is "really squirally".
I had the car professionally alligned at a shop that's used by many of the members of our Fiero club, always with good results.

I suspect I have a frame rust problem that's causing my backend problems. I'm in the process of inspecting my car for this now.

Marc in sunny Titusville, FL
84 SE - son's car, low milleage, loaded
85 Sport w/V6 transplant
85 GT just on the road
PFF
System Bot
rlinn84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rlinn84Send a Private Message to rlinn84Direct Link to This Post
I have pulled the cradle I wonder if it is loose????

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock