Heater Core R&R by upstairsdave
Started on: 11-01-2007 04:16 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: kyote on 11-02-2007 05:32 PM
upstairsdave

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for upstairsdaveSend a Private Message to upstairsdaveDirect Link to This Post
Hi,
I have a leaking heater core. Well, I won't know for sure until I remove it and inspect it. That's my question. How does the heater core come out with A/C. It appears the heater module is mounted behind the accumulator and hoses. I also looked under the dash and next to the sub woofer I'm guessing is a cover that looks like the heater core is housed behind. I don't want to start tearing into something until I get some expert advise.
Thanks,
Dave
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
The heater core isnt to bad to replace. It is described well in the Chilton, and Haynes books. After removing the right side dash speaker it comes out from under the dash on th passenger side. There is a cover with 4 screws to take off, and a secureing strap. Be careful with your two hoses connections under the front while trying to remove them from the old core tubes. Just crush the old tubes with plires. They are junk anyway. Refill with antifreeze and burp the system to get the air out.
Joe Crawford
possumlips

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for possumlipsSend a Private Message to possumlipsDirect Link to This Post
i just did mine on my '88 a few weeks ago and its not bad at all.A puddle of antifreeze on the rightside floorboard so i knew it was the heater core. i was afraid of patching it with soder and it leaking later so i bought a new one for $50.scrap metal yard gave me $8 for the old one! You pull the core out above where passangers feet would be after you take the hoses off of it. I had to cut my hoses off , no amount of pulling would work and you cant get to it to pry on.I had to add about 6 inches of new hose when i put back the new core.i even had to bend my inlet and outlet on the heater core a bit towards the drivers side so to miss the windshield washer fluid tank.You will need to pop off the speaker cover on the right side of the dash and remove the speaker to get to 2 screws, the top and extreme right holding the heater core cover on but its not bad either.I'm thinking around 5 in all? The rest you'll be laying on your back in the floorboard with nutdriver and flashlite in hand.there is a metal band with 2 more screws holding the core in place.getting the foam thats near the firewall to go back around the two tubes so theres not a hole for bugs, dust ect. it kinda tricky but it can be done.i think someone posted a link with pics not too long ago maybe you can do a search to find it.
Also it would be a good time to clean the fire hazard of leaves and trash that gets builtup right nest to the core. i had 3 fiero's i just did yesterday and i'm surprized they hadn't caught fire yet.
Jesse
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2007 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I did a writeup here, it's easy:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043997.html

JazzMan
upstairsdave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for upstairsdaveSend a Private Message to upstairsdaveDirect Link to This Post
I want to thank everyone for the help. Great job Jazzman on the procedure. Well, here goes. Later
Dave
BJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BJRSend a Private Message to BJRDirect Link to This Post
I used the Jazzman write up and did mine in a little over one hours time. Great write up.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Speaker doesn't need to come out - you can reach the bolts from below. Sub enclosure does need to come out. About a 1/2 hour job.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2007 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Though it may be theoretically possible to reach the top bolt working blind from below, in my experience it's far, far easier and faster to pull the speaker to get to the top bolt, especially when it comes to putting it back in.

JazzMan
kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post
I left the top one in and swiveled it outa the way....

------------------

'86 Fastback SE 5 spd -'94 HD Electra Glide Cassic -'99 Chevy K-1500 Z-71

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock