the easy way to change clutch ? by FieroGeneral
Started on: 11-01-2007 03:01 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: FieroGeneral on 11-04-2007 05:00 PM
FieroGeneral

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGeneralSend a Private Message to FieroGeneralDirect Link to This Post
What is the easy way to change clutch?

I have been under the car and try to plan the easy/less time consuming way to do this. do i have to take down the cradle or is it enough to just take the rear side of the cradle ?
or is a magic way to do this ?

--
FieroGeneral
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You have it basically figured out. Remove the left strut and hub assy. and tip the crable back. You can then pull the trans to the left and change the clutch. Tip it back far enough and you can pull the trans out the left side.
I swaped my 5sp back to the 4sp doing it this way.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 11-01-2007).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
usually a good idea to pull the driver side FRONT cradle bolt.
bkfly1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkfly1Click Here to visit bkfly1's HomePageSend a Private Message to bkfly1Direct Link to This Post
I supported the engine from the top side and dropped the cradle. There was just enough room to remove the transmission with the engine in place. I have a write up of the swap in the articles section of fierofocus.com (http://www.fierofocus.com/articles/0302%20Clutch%20Replacement.htm)

Think about what else you might want to replace while you have it apart...engine mounts, struts, bushings, etc and cleaning...lots of cleaning!

------------------
86 GT 5-speed, 88 Coupe Auto
Webmaster, NIFE
www.fierofocus.com

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
If you have an 88 you have to drop both sides. I did this a few years ago and did just the rear bolts. You need a floor jack and if I had two it would have been better. What engine? I have the 2.5. Watch the intake as it gets REAL close to the trunk. I took the TBI off. Ed Parks has the method for both 88's and pre 88's on his web site. Go to the Fiero Factory.

Steve
Father of Project Manager of
MSU Formula SAE Team

GO STATE RACING!

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 11-01-2007).]

The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
We do something no one else does and it goes super easy. We pull the engine out of the top. We have done this more time than we can count(not just for clutch reasons). Never did it with a V-6 but bet it still works. You will need an engine leveler on the engine hoist.
kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

You have it basically figured out. Remove the left strut and hub assy. and tip the crable back. You can then pull the trans to the left and change the clutch. Tip it back far enough and you can pull the trans out the left side.
I swaped my 5sp back to the 4sp doing it this way.

Ditto.. changed my tranny this way as well.. lifted the rear...unbolt both struts..remove rear cradle bolts.. dropped it down.. by doing it this way..you won't have to drain anything at all....

------------------

'86 Fastback SE 5 spd -'94 HD Electra Glide Cassic -'99 Chevy K-1500 Z-71

fffttt1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Direct Link to This Post
I just pulled my 5spd. Getrag last weekend. My car's an '87 GT w/solid aluminum cradle mounts. I considered the full cradle drop, the cradle drop from the rear only, and ended up supporting the engine from the top w/ 4"x4" beam across shock towers and a threaded rod "hook" attached to motor lift point. Removed both sides suspension w/axles, dropped cradle, supported under motor w/floor jack, and pulled transmission. Had little clearance for removal. Had to remove shift cable brackets to clear left inner fender.
Haven't reinstalled yet. Got a feeling it will be a little more difficult doing it myself. Please be sure to support car with as many jackstands as you can. Don't get yourself "squished"!
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_Stickman2:

We do something no one else does and it goes super easy. We pull the engine out of the top. We have done this more time than we can count(not just for clutch reasons). Never did it with a V-6 but bet it still works. You will need an engine leveler on the engine hoist.

Yeah but then you gotta pull the water pump housing off the side of the block before it'll clear everything on the way out. This is the method I use though, I've done it with the "help" of the g/f in less than a day, counting her whining.

FieroGeneral

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGeneralSend a Private Message to FieroGeneralDirect Link to This Post
Thanks ppl for all the info.

Maby i need to say that i have a 88 GT

solotwo, the fiero factory site was like gold gold.

The clutch and breakes are coming from USA tomorrow. damn norwegian toll that desided they wantet to hold the item`s for a day.
Anyhow, im going to take the cradle bolts out and stuff , today så everything is ready

--
FieroGeneral

edited

[This message has been edited by FieroGeneral (edited 11-02-2007).]

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Tomorrow I will be pulling the transmission on my V6 5 speed to perform a transmission swap. I also have to do exhaust studs on the V6 on my car.

My process will be to completely remove the engine, set it down on the ground so that I can do a full transmission swap on the ground, and replace all of the motor mounts at that time.

Since you have the 88, you may do better by supporting the engine on an adjustable cross bar, so that you can raise and lower the engine a few inches either direction.

Then, when you remove the cradle, all you have to do is lower the engine 3 inches, and remove the transmission. Install the new clutch, reinstall transmission.
PFF
System Bot
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Yeah but then you gotta pull the water pump housing off the side of the block before it'll clear everything on the way out. This is the method I use though, I've done it with the "help" of the g/f in less than a day, counting her whining.

Yup and then you have the engine out and it is so easy to change the clutch. No having to contort ones self to get into the engine compartment.
FieroGeneral

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGeneralSend a Private Message to FieroGeneralDirect Link to This Post
well i have taken the rear cradle down, and dismount the gearbox. The car have been driven in salt så every bolt are a b**ch to take out.

But what distubed me, it is oil where the gearbox meet the presureplate.. i havent taken off the presureplate yet, but if its oil on the cluth... that will explain the bad clutch problem, right ?
Why is it oil there and how can i fix it ?

--
FieroGeneral
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGeneral:

What is the easy way to change clutch?

FieroGeneral

Every Single reply missed your question and answered it wrong!!!!

The easy way to change a clutch is Sign the CC slip!!!!!

All these yah-whos answered the question you did not ask, What is the easy way for me to change my clutch!!

------------------

Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Kento

4218 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by FieroGeneral:
Why is it oil there and how can i fix it ?
--
FieroGeneral

Leaking Rear Main Seal is the most common cause of oil in the clutch.

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If I remember, they have a 1 pc main rear oil seal. You can replace it while the clutch is out.

BUT, the easiest way Ive found is taking it to the shop where the guy needs his fender bender fixed and swapping labor.
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

Every Single reply missed your question and answered it wrong!!!!

The easy way to change a clutch is Sign the CC slip!!!!!

All these yah-whos answered the question you did not ask, What is the easy way for me to change my clutch!!

Sorry but opening up my wallet and forking out that much cash for someone else to change a $120 part is NOT easy

FieroGeneral

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGeneralSend a Private Message to FieroGeneralDirect Link to This Post
well, i found the problem...i think.
The bearing sleeve in the gearbox was broken in half.

Is it a easy way to remove the rest from the clutch side...or do i need to get dirty with the gearbox ?

--
FieroGeneral
FieroGeneral

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGeneralSend a Private Message to FieroGeneralDirect Link to This Post

FieroGeneral

92 posts
Member since Oct 2007

Originally posted by fffttt1:

I just pulled my 5spd. Getrag last weekend. My car's an '87 GT w/solid aluminum cradle mounts. I considered the full cradle drop, the cradle drop from the rear only, and ended up supporting the engine from the top w/ 4"x4" beam across shock towers and a threaded rod "hook" attached to motor lift point. Removed both sides suspension w/axles, dropped cradle, supported under motor w/floor jack, and pulled transmission. Had little clearance for removal. Had to remove shift cable brackets to clear left inner fender.
Haven't reinstalled yet. Got a feeling it will be a little more difficult doing it myself. Please be sure to support car with as many jackstands as you can. Don't get yourself "squished"!

Well i got 3 jackstands(under the motor, under the cradle and one to support the tranny) , 4 thingy under each wheel and attached the motor to the roof as "backup" , som im safe

Let me know how you reinstall the tranny
FieroGeneral

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGeneralSend a Private Message to FieroGeneralDirect Link to This Post

FieroGeneral

92 posts
Member since Oct 2007

Originally posted by fffttt1:

Well i got 3 jackstands(under the motor, under the cradle and one to support the tranny) , 4 thingy under each wheel and attached the motor to the roof as "backup" , som im safe

Let me know how you reinstall the tranny

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock