12 volt question by Acesurfer
Started on: 10-31-2007 03:34 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Acesurfer on 11-02-2007 12:06 PM
Acesurfer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcesurferClick Here to visit Acesurfer's HomePageSend a Private Message to AcesurferDirect Link to This Post
ok so i use my 12 v lighter in three ways, i have a sirius radio, a radar detector, and a cell phone charger. i bought a 3 way plug from wal mart (cheap one) and discovered how much power it drains. my radar detector has a built in voltmeter and when i have the 3 way splitter plugged in it will show like 13.3 volts. however when my radar detector is plugged straight in it is about 14.0 volts. this is during the daytime, no lights, no a/c or heater running. so i was wondering if anyone knows of a three way splitter that does not drain that much power or has some ideas on how to have my sirius and radar and stuff plugged in and not murder my battery.

------------------
The proud owner of a 85 gt,
Ace
My build thread (in progress and will be for a long time):
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/066596.html

want to get $20,000 and 100% tuition assistance and much more?
just pm to find out how.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
it's not the 3 way splitter using the power, it's the things you're plugging in to it.
bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
^^^^ What he said.^^^^
Murder your battery? Is it causing a problem? As long as the Fuse holds up you should be OK. There are things in your car that drain way more power than the things you listed. Cooling Fan, Lights, A/C Fan etc.

Bonzo

[This message has been edited by bonzo (edited 10-31-2007).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2007 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
And, anything in the 13v range is good, it means you're charging OK. Not fast, but fast enough. The only other option is to hard-wire a power bus to the front compartment, I've seen three-hole cigarette lighter-style blocks that would work for that.

JazzMan
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Also a radar detector that read volts needs to not be trusted to be incredibly accurate. Radar detectors detect radar, they are not calibrated voltmeters. Trust it's voltmeter readout as much as you would trust an electric impact wrench that has a toothbrush attachment.

If you want to know real voltage changes, get a real voltmeter and test that way. Accurate voltmeters start at $40.00 The cheapies out there can vary by up to 25% in the 12-20 volt range and I have seen some that read different every time you use them.

On the technical side, every device you have plugged in draws more power, multiple devices on a outlet splitter will cause a voltage drop even more so if the splitter is cheap and has less than 12 gauge wire in it, very thin wire means you get a higher voltage drop with more load as the thin wire is a higher resistance.

Acesurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcesurferClick Here to visit Acesurfer's HomePageSend a Private Message to AcesurferDirect Link to This Post
well no but i can see a significant drop in the reading when i plug in the three way. and when i cut my sirius on it drops like .2-.3 volts (nothing major) the drop readout is like 1 volt between if the three way is plugged in or not. so does anyone else have a three way splitter or has anyone installed extra 12 volt pluggs?
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
So with the three way plugged in and only the detector you still get a drop? If so then it might be the cheap 3way. If not then it's the load you put on the cig wire.
You might try Radio Shack for one.
Acesurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcesurferClick Here to visit Acesurfer's HomePageSend a Private Message to AcesurferDirect Link to This Post
exactly dodgerunner. ok so then i should probably look into another three way splitter. i saw one made by bell that has an on/off switch and looks good. is bell an ok company for things like this?
Acesurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcesurferClick Here to visit Acesurfer's HomePageSend a Private Message to AcesurferDirect Link to This Post

Acesurfer

1020 posts
Member since Sep 2006
got a new three way splitter w/ on off switch and well see how she blows
gjohnson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gjohnsonSend a Private Message to gjohnsonDirect Link to This Post
Hey Acesurfer I like your SCNG label. What is your MOS? I am a retired 13E30. My on ships off to Ft. Jackson this June for basic.
DrDave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrDaveSend a Private Message to DrDaveDirect Link to This Post
Bel is good. (but........they do have inexpesive ones, medium priced, and the REAL GOOD ones.)
PFF
System Bot
Acesurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2007 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcesurferClick Here to visit Acesurfer's HomePageSend a Private Message to AcesurferDirect Link to This Post
i got a medium priced one.

i am a 31B= military police officer. hooah! i am w/ the 133 Military Police Company out of Florence, SC
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
So, they are made on the mainland, Hong Kong and Taiwan?
Acesurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AcesurferClick Here to visit Acesurfer's HomePageSend a Private Message to AcesurferDirect Link to This Post
what?

i installed the three way today and it seems to be a lot better

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock