ignition module and poor running question by sumerset64
Started on: 10-29-2007 06:24 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: JazzMan on 10-31-2007 05:10 PM
sumerset64

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sumerset64Send a Private Message to sumerset64Direct Link to This Post
Hello All, been enjoying the site for some time. A lot of great info and helpful people here.

My question. Ignition module (correct name? flat piece inside distributor, 2 screws and a plug in wire)
Can this item be weak, or is it either good or bad.

The rest of the problem. '87 GT V6, 5 spd. 69,000 miles. Gas mileage suddenly went from 28mpg to 17 mpg. Couple days later, at 65mph, the car started to lose power. I was soon down to 20mph top speed. Pulled off the highway, car continued to run, but would not rev over 1500rpm. Finished my trip home on a flat bed. Now the car will start, but not rev. Misses out and has a strong fuel smell from exhaust. Reminds me a stuck choke.
Haven't pulled any codes yet. Did replace the coil, but no improvement.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
STALKIN SCORP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for STALKIN SCORPSend a Private Message to STALKIN SCORPDirect Link to This Post
just had same problem, pulled distributor, and replaced pickup coil also. autozone cost about 50.00, lifetime warranty on module . when it starts to go , they start acting wacky. u dont have to replace pickup coil but definitely worth it. make sure u search for distributor removal thread and follow it and u will be all set. also good idea to replace o2 sensor. good luck....
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum.

Pull the codes.
https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

Most auto parts stores will test your ignition module, have them do it several times (3 or 4) they like to fail when hot. Strong smell of gas could be an O2 sensor on the way out.

Always a good idea to replace pick up coil along with module, I decided on the new style ignition distributor, better design, supposed to be able to replace pick up coil with out pulling distributor.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079386.html

Report back on the codes that you pull, plenty of folks here to help you out.

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Could also be a clogged cat converter. Quick test is to physically remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe and see if the car picks up some power.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Could also be a clogged cat converter. Quick test is to physically remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe and see if the car picks up some power.

A clogged cat is the first thing that crossed my mind. I would just disconnect the downpipe from the Y pipe and see if the power is back. A different method with basically the same result.
sumerset64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sumerset64Send a Private Message to sumerset64Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the help so far. Just pulled the codes, and got code 44 three times. This was the only code that showed up. Think I will change the O2 sensor, and see what happens. Any other advice on a code 44? Also, before pulling codes, I started engine and let it idle (still won't rev but will idle) and stood at back of car to listen for telltale noises. A very loud sucking sound was coming from the air intake just behind the drivers door. When I removed the air filter the sucking sound was very loud at the air intake. Never noticed this before. Any ideas?
sumerset64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sumerset64Send a Private Message to sumerset64Direct Link to This Post

sumerset64

19 posts
Member since Oct 2007
I think we are on the right track. I unplugged, but did not remove the O2 sensor, started car, no improvement. Removed the O2 sensor, car ran normal, revved good. So, can I rule out the O2 sensor and go with a plugged CAT? Did the open hole where the O2 sensor was removed compensate for the clogged CAT?
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2007 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the hole allowed enough exhaust out to allow the engine to run. I would replace the O2 sensor anyway, they're a maintenance item and fairly cheap. http://www.discountconverter.com carries them and cats cheap.

A bad O2 sensor will easily cause the mixture to go off enough to kill a cat pronto.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock