2.8 V6 Block Swap by 355Fiero
Started on: 10-29-2007 01:50 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: project34 on 10-31-2007 08:06 PM
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
I did a search here for some info on 2.8 V6 swaps and I am no good at putting in search criteria as I always end up with bizarre answer pages...... Having said that, I am looking for info on a 2.8 V6 swap in an '86 GT 4 speed.

I might purchase an '86 GT as a small side project but it has a thrown rod bearing by the sounds of it. I can get a remanufactured 1988-89 GM 2.8L FWD for a decent price.

Will this block fit into the '86 to put the Fiero accessories back on? If yes, besides grinding off the external weight on the Fiero flywheel as it will most likely be an internally balanced engine from this year period, is there anything else I need to do? I have swapped out a Blazer 2.8 before and swapped the starter motor and other bits and pieces over but I was wondering what the deal is on later model year FWD 2.8 V6's.

Thanks
Don
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
I got some more info and a couple more qustions......

The 2.8 V6 is FWD, MFI, flat lifters, cast iron heads, dist ign. internally balanced. As I suspected, the 2.8 is internally balanced, the distributor would be swapped out for the Fiero, the MFI swapped over to the Fiero intakes and MFI. I believe the '86 has cast heads as well, so I don't think there should be a problem to swap it out. Just a matter of making sure the bolt pattern is correct for the trans and motor mounts. Thoughts anyone?

As for other available engines;

I can also get a:
1990 31 FWD,
91-92 3.1 RWD, or
91-94 3.1 FWD.

I did not get specs on these ones. I just wanrt to get a cheap V6 into the car to play with it until the snow falls and then probably sell it in the Spring once my Ferrari kit is complete and on the road.

Al these engines are avalaible for $499.00 CDN remanufactured. The place I am talking to bought out a company's inventory that stopped rebuilding gas engines and started focusing on Deisels. Normally the rebuilds are going for around $1500.00 - $1600.00 up here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post

355Fiero

548 posts
Member since Dec 2004
No one have any thoughts on whether the engine block will match up?
prostreet505

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
The blocks will match up, but you would need to get a different flywheel for a internally balanced engine. One off a 88 Fiero 2.8 will work
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Excellent;

I thank you very much for answering. The internally balanced flywheel I remember from my last 2.8 swap from a Blazer but I was not sure if everything else would match up.

Looks like I may well buy the car now that I know I can get a rebuilt engine cheap.

Thanks again.
Don
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2007 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The only thing I can think of in addition to the other comments is that you'll probably need something to block off the crank position sensor hole that's likely to be in the side of the block. An old sensor will work, or you might be able to find a freeze plug that size. On the flywheel, don't modify your old one by removing the weight unless you have a machine shop that can spin-balance it at high speed. It only takes a very slight imbalance to trash your main bearings and crank. It'd be wiser to purchase a new one IMHO.

JazzMan
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Swaping would be the same proccess as swaping in a 3.4L from a 93-95 camaro/firebird.
compleate swap coverage can be found here.
3.4L pushrod Swap (lots of pics)

BTW the flywheel you need can be found at Checker for $40 88Fiero V6 flywheel.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 11-01-2007).]

Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
If the 2.8L came out of a FWD car then the starter won't need to be relocated. Just a minor point in the scheme of things. The RWD ones will need it relocated (the 3.4L is originally a RWD engine)
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:
Swaping would be the same proccess as swaping in a 3.4L from a 92-95 camaro/firebird.

Originally posted by Hudini:
If the 2.8L came out of a FWD car then the starter won't need to be relocated. Just a minor point in the scheme of things. The RWD ones will need it relocated (the 3.4L is originally a RWD engine)

So that nobody following this thread ends up locating the wrong engine, a related point of clarification is the 3.4L engines mentioned here are from the `93 to `95 Camaro/Firebirds, not the `92 to `95s.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock