Started on: 10-25-2007 01:54 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: fieroX on 11-15-2007 01:51 AM
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Does anyone have a Turbocharged 3800 Supercharged Series II engine in their Fiero. I am wondering if it makes alot of power. I am also wondering what transmissions you used as well. If anyone has a video or pictures of the build up, that would be cool. I am just looking at the different kinds of engines to swap in my Fiero GT, and I think this would be a very fast engine to swap in and it would sound very cool too. I would like a video of one running so I can see what it sounds like.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 10-25-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JCUOIT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
Talk to DarthFiero. he is the Turbo-3800S2 guy to know.

Darth did work for FieroX's car. and we all know thats one Crazy car.

JC
JamesCurtis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
Last I knew - FieroX did most of the fab on that engine. Tar and feather me if I'm wrong though .
Younggun88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Younggun88Send a Private Message to Younggun88Direct Link to This Post
Jncomutt is working on one i know. He is aming for around 425 to the wheels. GP guys have put over 500 to the wheels so yes they can make alot of power.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Jinx will be putting down at least 500 if he has a sizable cam and heads that support it.

Yes, they make stupid amounts of power, there are plenty of turbo 3800's in the 9's 1 (soon to be 2) in the 8's. This is all with the 4t65e-hd transmission.
black88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post
yes turboed 3800 make serious power Tim king's from intense racing 3800 firebird is currently running 8.991, imagine that in a fiero

------------------
Parts for your FWD GM 97+
Morad Parts Company
Moradpartscompany.com

tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincDirect Link to This Post
My setup is out of the car right now. I am replacing the trans, adding two engine mounts, and revamping some piping. I’ll try to remember and post a couple of pics before it goes back in next week.

[This message has been edited by tampalinc (edited 10-26-2007).]

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, Craig called me the other day. He is talking about twin charging the 3800. Ive been thinking about this for some time, and had plans to do mine a few years ago, but decided to go all turbo, and Im glad I did. When I was supercharged I was breaking axles every week. Now with the turbo, I just break transmissions, hahaha. Anyway, Craig, we broke ground on the shop remod today. We will be in business by the end of the year for sure. I would love to take your car on as a project, but I have a rule that I cant make anybodys car faster than my own . I think it would be pretty sick. Zooomers twin charged GTP runs 9's. Also, Ive decided that this winter I will be selling my turbo setup off my car, and redoing the whole thing using long tube equal length inconel headers, and mounting the turbo and intercooler in the trunk area. So, twin charging your engine will be much easier, and quite a bit cheaper if you are interested in my setup.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2007 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

Hey guys, Craig called me the other day. He is talking about twin charging the 3800. Ive been thinking about this for some time, and had plans to do mine a few years ago, but decided to go all turbo, and Im glad I did. When I was supercharged I was breaking axles every week. Now with the turbo, I just break transmissions, hahaha. Anyway, Craig, we broke ground on the shop remod today. We will be in business by the end of the year for sure. I would love to take your car on as a project, but I have a rule that I cant make anybodys car faster than my own . I think it would be pretty sick. Zooomers twin charged GTP runs 9's. Also, Ive decided that this winter I will be selling my turbo setup off my car, and redoing the whole thing using long tube equal length inconel headers, and mounting the turbo and intercooler in the trunk area. So, twin charging your engine will be much easier, and quite a bit cheaper if you are interested in my setup.

Yea, a Supercharged 3800 with Twin Turbos is going to be very fast. I like the idea of the cascading system, instant power without hesitation, without boost lag. It's going to be a very fast car. Do you have the pictures of your car? I don't want to break transmission very week, that can get very expensive. I can't wait until this happens. It won't happen until I can the money though, which I hope will be soon, but it won't be this winter, I am hopeing for next winter.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
I took my website down, but I found these pics http://www.2bluesc.com/view...p?dir=Other%2Ffierox some of them are supercharged setup pics, and some are turbo. Its totally random.

Also found this http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://fierox.com is the archive to my old website.

You wont break the transmission every week. You just have to build it strong from the start. My old tranny was a 4t60e, because the guy that originally helped me set up the computer system talked me into going OBD1, as the OBD2 computers couldnt be cracked at the time, so making the 4t65eHD work in the Fiero was very difficult. Now there are guys running 9's on 65eHD's, so I wouldnt worry about breaking one all that often. Stuff does happen though, especially when you are talking 600+ hp.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

I took my website down, but I found these pics http://www.2bluesc.com/view...p?dir=Other%2Ffierox some of them are supercharged setup pics, and some are turbo. Its totally random.

Also found this http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://fierox.com is the archive to my old website.

You wont break the transmission every week. You just have to build it strong from the start. My old tranny was a 4t60e, because the guy that originally helped me set up the computer system talked me into going OBD1, as the OBD2 computers couldnt be cracked at the time, so making the 4t65eHD work in the Fiero was very difficult. Now there are guys running 9's on 65eHD's, so I wouldnt worry about breaking one all that often. Stuff does happen though, especially when you are talking 600+ hp.

Those are nice pictures and videos.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 10-28-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post

long tube equal length inconel headers

Inconel? How much is that gonna cost?
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
not sure on the cost at this point. we may have a hookup on inconel coming our way, but not sure how large the supply is.
kyp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kypSend a Private Message to kypDirect Link to This Post
well im going to turbo my 3800 seriesII and i was wondering what did you use for your intake manifold? i dont want to have to make one if i dont have to. that is all.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Intakes are easy, either tig up one like X did, or just use any old intake. I have seen every possible combo, and they all work fine. The GTP guys usually try to make a custom intake, because they want the opening to be on the passenger side, but its mostly pointless to make a custom one on our fiero setups, because we normally want it on the driver side.

Your options include, camaro upper intake, empty blower case, plastic N/A upper intake, alum N/A upper intake. They make high flow inserts for the plastic N/A intake.

I dont think anyone has shown noticeable power gains with different custom intakes.
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
http://www.cartuning.ca/productsTurboKit.php
check this site out, don't know anything about them though.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
they are the old school turbo guys, fairly poor performing kits compared to custom/zzp stuff. I like the cheap turbos they use if thats any consolation.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
I am actually working on a bolt on intake, that will replace the blower and lower intake manifold. It will be something like this, but with the valley pan.

we are also thinking about a carbon fiber version. We will offer them with, and without fuel injector bungs, for the people that want them for L67 or L36, or you could run with the L36 version on your L67, and have 2 injectors per cylinder. I see 1000 whp 3800's in the near future. You just might need 12 injectors

[This message has been edited by fieroX (edited 10-29-2007).]

JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
sweet jebus! INCONEL! THATS F1 Exhaust technology, who can weld inconel? good lord thats gonna be one pricey fiero. i guess it will be more space ship then fiero

GOD SPEED, FIEROX.

JC
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post

I am actually working on a bolt on intake, that will replace the blower and lower intake manifold. It will be something like this, but with the valley pan.

we are also thinking about a carbon fiber version. We will offer them with, and without fuel injector bungs, for the people that want them for L67 or L36, or you could run with the L36 version on your L67, and have 2 injectors per cylinder. I see 1000 whp 3800's in the near future. You just might need 12 injectors

fieroX, It would be nice if you would build one for a 3900 (60v6) with interchangable top. One top for N/A and turbo, the other for a SC with I/C. Hum , would the runner length be too long?

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
my business partner is the most amazing welder i have ever seen in my life. He does inconel, stainless, mild, aluminum, titanium, he has even done magnesium. He is the one getting the hookup on the inconel too. He told me inconel welds like stainless, setup wise and all, its just a different technique, and the weld pool is dirty and looks skinned over. But ideally inconel is the best material on earth for header tubing. Im pretty excited to get it all set up. Its going to look so wicked and nasty.
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Nice intake manifold. Do you plan on using that on the header for my planned project. I hope you know that you won't have to make a intake manifold for my car because I want to keep the supercharger.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilchief:

fieroX, It would be nice if you would build one for a 3900 (60v6) with interchangable top. One top for N/A and turbo, the other for a SC with I/C. Hum , would the runner length be too long?

we have the capability to build literally anything. Its all up to how deep your wallet is. I could build a custom intake that you could bolt an M90 to, or a whipple, or whatever. Possiblities are endless. All i would need is an intake as a template, and a satchel of gold bullion, hahaha.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Nice intake manifold. Do you plan on using that on the header for my planned project. I hope you know that you won't have to make a intake manifold for my car because I want to keep the supercharger.

Do you mean using inconel for the exhaust headers?

Yeah, I know you wont need an intake. I will just do some port work to both the supercharger and the lower intake manifold, for optimum breathing.
JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
How is the build progressing, X?

JC
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
There is a lot more to those custom intakes than just some runners and flanges. I'm working on one right now with some really nice equipment i have access to through school. Getting the flanges to match the head is easy, same with building some fancy plenum section with a removable top. The problem is getting it perfectly true before and after welding, Getting the unit to seal using factory metal intake gaskets, as well as the thick side gaskets, and the coolent cross over passages for the head. It seems like welding an AN fitting in the coolent passage and running braided lines from side to side will work but keep in mind that the factory thermostat housing is located in the stock intake. Getting the unit to not leak under high boost after heat cycles and gasket tolerances seems to require much more time investment.

The intake posted above has no angles to the runner flanges and no coolent issues. One designed for the 3800 is going to be an entirely different beast.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 11-09-2007).]

fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCUOIT:

How is the build progressing, X?

JC

Its coming along. Im hoping to have it back on the road in a couple of weeks. I had a few delays lately, but i should be back on track soon.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

fieroX

5234 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

There is a lot more to those custom intakes than just some runners and flanges. I'm working on one right now with some really nice equipment i have access to through school. Getting the flanges to match the head is easy, same with building some fancy plenum section with a removable top. The problem is getting it perfectly true before and after welding, Getting the unit to seal using factory metal intake gaskets, as well as the thick side gaskets, and the coolent cross over passages for the head. It seems like welding an AN fitting in the coolent passage and running braided lines from side to side will work but keep in mind that the factory thermostat housing is located in the stock intake. Getting the unit to not leak under high boost after heat cycles and gasket tolerances seems to require much more time investment.

The intake posted above has no angles to the runner flanges and no coolent issues. One designed for the 3800 is going to be an entirely different beast.

I actually have a very interesting method of building the intake I have in mind. It should seal fine, and Ill share everything as soon as the prototype is done and production is under way.
JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
What turbo are you running, X? what A/Rs and what PSIA will you be running?

for that matter, was Darth running a T04b in his turbo car? i know he's busy with that LS4 fiero, but im still interested in that little turbo coupe.

thanks
JC
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what turbo Darth is running. Last i recall he had a GN turbo, but that was quite some time ago.

Im running a Master Power T66, with a .68 a/r T4 turbine, and a .70 compressor. Im going to be running 21 psi on gasoline, and when i convert the car to E85 this winter, I will be upping the boost to 26 psi.

Then next year when i redo the exhaust in inconel and titanium, i will be putting a Garrett T04Z turbo back there.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Dont convert to e85, youll need low-z injectors (no I dont think that even the 90#'s will work). I would get a alc/water injection kit and spray it in extra with gas.
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
FieroX already has meth injection on his beast and last time that i saw he posted about it, he had maxed out the largest nozzles he had. How about an update on that, X? I'm going to be running meth on my turbo setup too. (Though i'm staying off the nitrous, all bewst baby!!)

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 11-14-2007).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Run e85 with a normalish meth injection nozzle, you should be in great shape.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, i had a methanol kit, and ran that puppy full blast and still didnt have enough alky. Of course i was running 21 psi on 91 octane pump gas, but knock was minimal. Im just going straight E85, i wont need anything other than that. There are mustang guys running 30 psi making 1000 wheel hp on E85 and not getting any knock. E85 is the future of fuel. Now start growing those switch grass fields.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock