CARB headers by iamtylerdurden
Started on: 10-22-2007 08:23 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: aaronrus on 11-10-2007 01:56 PM
iamtylerdurden

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
does anybody know where to find CARB approved headers for a 2.8 V6? o yeah and what year CRX CAI to get and what model flowmaster people usually fit. i'm hoping to do all this stuff within the next few months so i wanna get organized and start saving up now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
What is CARB? And, where do you find their regs?

There are basically 2 headers available, shorties, like the Fiero Store sells, and longer ones that Trueleo produces.

Arn
87_FieroGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

What is CARB? And, where do you find their regs?

It's the California Air Resources Board

------------------

Visit my website!
Fieros West
David
2 Corinthians 5: 17
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 5 Speed
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Port the stock logs, they will never know. West Coast Fiero was making log headers that they were trying to get approved by CARB but they shouldn't be any better than ported stock logs. Plus there is the issue of WCF quality, I know a few people with thier shorties, and they have all cracked.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-23-2007 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
stock fiero cold air intake best there is for horse power according to dyno results,all systems with air intake inside engine compartment a waste of money,any flowmaster a BIG improvement I think either 40 or 60 I do not keep up with this stuff,, but have seen dyno results for flowmaster and they were all good.. a state like california run ported stock manifolds,, there are many post about porting manifolds & Y pipe any custom Y pipe A GOOD INVESTMENT the stock strangles engine.. the best modification to V 6 imio(in my inflated opinion) is port intake and exhaust .. I am in slow process now of doing this,, the emission police are getting stronger in california..motorhead resisters and normal citizen fleeing peoples state of california,,the former motorhead & biker trash mecca of america..some day your the bug, some day you are the windshield "splat"

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 10-23-2007).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I had the CRX (1989?) intake with the K&N in the wheel well cavity. It sounded awesome and breathed beautifully, and looked way better.IMHO. The air cleaner in the wheel well was a PITA to clean and it had to be done at least twice per season. The ported logs and Y pipe are a good thing to do and the improvement with the shorties is only a couple of hp. Very expensive 2 hp IMHO.

Arn
87_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

Port the stock logs, they will never know. West Coast Fiero was making log headers that they were trying to get approved by CARB but they shouldn't be any better than ported stock logs. Plus there is the issue of WCF quality, I know a few people with thier shorties, and they have all cracked.

I have the WCF manifolds installed on my car. They are much sturdier than the the stock manifolds. They did make a noticeable improvement in the performance of my car. While they are not yet CARB approved, they did pass visual inspection on my last smog check. Any headers you buy (unless CARB approved, which I'm not aware of any) will not pass visual. Just some things to consider.

------------------

Visit my website!
Fieros West
David
2 Corinthians 5: 17
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 5 Speed
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

[This message has been edited by 87_FieroGT (edited 10-23-2007).]

iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
well i was thinking of going for the fierostore sprint manifolds since...they say MANIFOLDS in the title but wasn't sure if they would pass visual inspection. the stock manifolds just look like crap. but i stil need to find out what kind of flowmaster people are able to fit 80 series? 40 delta?
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
usually they fit in the Flowmaster that has already beed modded by WCF, personally I find the SpinTech superior on sooo many levels

------------------
Recanizin' Flat-Buns Since 2001

Eric Nelson
Internet Sales Manager
Power Ford Valencia
nelsone@autonation.com

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Its the 1988-1991 Honda CRX intake, got mine of ebay for $33 shipped with a re-useable filter. Buy a TWO peice intake. The 1 peice doesn't go as far. Here is the cut you have to make on the big peice

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
(see peice 1 is too long)
for the smaller peice you just cut a 5 inch straight peice out of it and throw out the S bend. Sorry I don't have a pic of that
Installed

YES THE GREEN HOSE IS GONE!!!! So don't tell me it looks bad lol.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

Mr.PBody

3172 posts
Member since Oct 2006

Originally posted by 87_FieroGT:

I have the WCF manifolds installed on my car. They are much sturdier than the the stock manifolds. They did make a noticeable improvement in the performance of my car. While they are not yet CARB approved, they did pass visual inspection on my last smog check. Any headers you buy (unless CARB approved, which I'm not aware of any) will not pass visual. Just some things to consider.

I will take that under consideration, and I have never personally dealt wih WCF, just seen friends parts, and read what some of their employees have to say here on pff. I will probably never buy headers for my PR. If I did I would buy the truleo package with the Ypipe, headers, and intake manifold.
PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-23-2007 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Check with flow master search forum ,,I think fiero store header which look stock sort of,will pass muster with all but eviromentalist motorhead hating liberals, average goverment employee will see a cute sports car that probably had sporty engine ,of course the truly dedicated save the planet wacko will I D you as a person who needs to be sent to a reeducation camp,where you will exit as a bicycle riding ,green honda civic loving subscriber to mother earth news and mother jones,, remember when you go in for inspection to wear your save the earth or go green T shirt and wave copy of mother earth news as you complain about large corporate interest cutting down the forrest.,and poluting the air your asthmatic child must breath.. if fiero store pipes are noticed say yes to save fuel your live off the land commune voted to installed goverment approved cleaner burning manifold on the only car you have to save additional 3 to 5 mpg,you just return from farmers market where you sold enough crops and ladies handmade doillys to pay for inspection a needed service but hard on the finance of self sufficient peasants
iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
ha ha ha ha dude that message ^^^^ up there was cracking me up the whole time. i can always just give the guy a few extra bucks instead of wearing a go green shirt and talking about my asthmatic child! ha ha
iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post

iamtylerdurden

243 posts
Member since Dec 2006
o yeah and thanks mr. p body!
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
You're welcome if you need any more help, let me know
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2007 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
The answer to your question is NO. There are no headers or manifolds made for the V6 Fiero that are CA legal. The only legal options are porting your stock manifolds or buying WCFs improved manifolds that still look almost identical to the stock manifolds. Other options include living in a county that doesn't require smog, or finding a smog tech who doesn't know a piston from a wrench. Good luck.
iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
ok so if there is nothing CARB approved then would the sprint manifolds work? or will it not fly just because there is "manifold" in their name. iv got enough car troubles already i just dont wanna install these and run into more.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Define work, yeah they will work but no they won't pass the emissions visual check. Exhuast Manifold and Header are the same part.
iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
yeah i meant "work" as in "pass visual inspection"...if i bring the box or something ha ha.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
The word doesn't mean anything, you going these are exhaust manifolds not headers won't make you pass. The terms Header and Exhuast Manfold to some people seem header is for performance (in the old days a set of headers meant that was all the exhaust you had) exhaust manifold implies a cast stock peice to some people. At the end of the day though its like asking someone to "copy" "xerox" "photocopy" etc something a bunch of terms that mean the same thing even though xerox refers to one specific brand, people use it to make copies with an HP. Unless you have the CARB certification card or sticker the headers probably won't pass visual inspection. Port your stockers, and port your Y pipe, you'll feel it in the butt dyno and, its FREE!!!!.
iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2007 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
ha ha sounds good. or maybe go for the WCF manifolds. one of the guys up top said he noticed a difference in performance and strength.
PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2007 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Yeah the stockers are prone to crack, shoot them with high temp flat black header paint, it'll keep the heat down, and keep eyes off the headers.
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
just port the stock logs, and Y-pipe, that'll give you a better idle and a little more power. the 90 crx intake is loud, and it will not pass smog.
iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2007 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
the crx wont pass smog? really? i didn't think having an intake like that would cause you to fail. i had that stupid "short ram" intake and i still got under average on my smog test last year with the original engine.
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2007 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87_FieroGT:

a trick a freind of mine did to get them to approve headers: before he installed his headers, he had the oem number of the factory headers etched into the manifold plate, so when they asked him, he said it was a factory install, and showed them the now oxidized oem number that was "cast" into the plate..worked like a charm.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock