Longitudinally mounted VW Passat 5-speed by GT
Started on: 10-21-2007 07:58 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: GT on 10-23-2007 01:20 PM
GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys-

I got out of Fieros and have been away for a little while, but I've been working with late model Passats and I found that what's called the B5 Passat, which is from around '97-'03-ish, has a FWD longitudinally mounted configuration. I know a lot of folks want to attempt a longitudinal Fiero setup so I thought I'd pass this along. I was into Fieros for 16 years and I had never heard of using the VW Passat B5 5-speed. I don't know if it's possible even, but I thought I'd pass the idea along to the Fiero continuum. I've seen them on www.car-part.com for as little as $250. Here's a picture in case anyone might want to try it. All I ask is that if someone tries it, please let me know, it would be great to see!

-Rick Stewart
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
looks really close to the audi a4 tranny.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
AFAIK the Passat and A4 trans are the same. They are too long to fit in a Fiero unless the wheelbase is extended. I have seen one used in a Diablo replica with a Northstar engine. Most guys have been using the older Audi 5000/ Porsche 944 transaxles, but they are getting harder to find.

[This message has been edited by rockcrawl (edited 10-21-2007).]

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
You sir are correct. The A4 and the Passat share the same platform in this year and car-parts.com shows them as interchangeable. I was a little concerned about the length as well, but evil geniuses like Jon L and Bubba can make just about anything work.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

AFAIK the Passat and A4 trans are the same. They are too long to fit in a Fiero unless the wheelbase is extended. I have seen one used in a Diablo replica with a Northstar engine. Most guys have been using the older Audi 5000/ Porsche 944 transaxles, but they are getting harder to find.

Hmmm I am wondering if they are too long for a v6

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
When I saw that transmission, I immediately thought of this:

The car pictured above is an IMSA Fiero with a 4.3 liter V6. The chassis is not stretched. The general size and shape of the transmission seems to be similar. So such a thing may be possible with the VW tranny.
SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
I got audi 500 tranny in my car behind my v6, and it is too long. Needs to be stretched a few inches or some major reworking of the firewall.

Blacktree, you got any more info/pictures of the car you pictured

------------------
S.W.A.T.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

an IMSA Fiero with a 4.3 liter V6. The chassis is not stretched

The wheelbase may not be stretched, but that is a tube frame car and the engine is protruding into the area that would normally be inside the cabin on a stock Fiero chassis.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I won't argue with that.

Hey, isn't the Mazda wankel engine pretty short from front to back?
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
NOW yer talkin!
SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
was thinking maybe one of them Subaru boxster motors would be a nice fit too.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SpeedWorksAutoTuning:

was thinking maybe one of them Subaru boxster motors would be a nice fit too.

I seen one in a Porsche Speedster Replica ..it fits real nice
megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
any quattro should be the same, the fact that you found a passat 5spd quattro is amazing really, theyre really hard to find. mostly the awd 5spds came in audi but if you really really wanted one you could find one in a passat. the man. trans dont have to many problems but the autos can depending on who made it. have fun adapting it to a fiero, mabye try and squeeze the 30v in there while ur at it, be tons of fun.
crytical point

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crytical pointSend a Private Message to crytical pointDirect Link to This Post
there is a adapter to put a 12a rotary on vw/porsche tranny and I have installed a 12a putting about 230 to the wheels on a vw bug, man that car can pull the front end off the ground at 3000rpm take off.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

The other thing to notice is that the centeriline of the diff housing is about 2-3" behind the centerline of the wheels, so the halfshafts are running at an angle.

I am not saying this is a bad thing, just that they are not centered and possibly giving more room for the engine and passenger compartment to co-exist.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 10-22-2007).]

SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningDirect Link to This Post
I have my axles the same way for my mockup, it is still pretty tight. I wish I could do it without a stretch.

------------------
S.W.A.T.

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I don't think the VW trans will hold up to the torque of a V8. That's why people go with the Porsche 911 and 914 trans.
Dave

------------------

450hp 1987 Fiero GT, 1986 Fiero SE, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
Chrysler makes a trans in that layout, too, I believe. Of course, it's a Chrysler, so...

------------------
1984 Fiero SE, White, first love, sold...
1986 Fiero SE 2M6, gold
1988 Fiero 2M4, the Fox
1987 Fiero GT, Blue, 3.4/4T40
Still looking for that perfect CJB 88 GT...

Russ544

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2007 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodeletre:

Chrysler makes a trans in that layout, too, I believe. Of course, it's a Chrysler, so...

it's also an [cough choke] au-to. still interesting however. I've done some checking on them myself actually.
crytical point

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crytical pointSend a Private Message to crytical pointDirect Link to This Post
umm the passat had a W8 and VR6 that put out there share of power I think it can hold up to a v8 with out breaking a sweat.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crytical point:

umm the passat had a W8 and VR6 that put out there share of power I think it can hold up to a v8 with out breaking a sweat.

I'm putting a VR6 in my wife's Fiero. That is a different transmission (transverse). The W8 is normally found in the 4 motion (all wheel drive). The FWD Audi A8 only runs an auto. All the M/T transmissions are quattro....except the 2.8 and 1.8 A4.
Dave

PFF
System Bot
crytical point

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crytical pointSend a Private Message to crytical pointDirect Link to This Post
I have driven a W8 and a VR6 passat with 4 motion and the trans does work on the1.8. I believe the 6spd manual with AWD is the same for the VR6 and W8 and I have seen a 5spd with AWD in a passat. I think it would be cool to make a fiero AWD using a front mount engine set up.
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post

I think it would be cool to make a fiero AWD using a front mount engine set up.

Novel, yes, but you'd still end up with a Fiero. Why not just get a nice AWD A4 or Passat?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock