Started on: 10-20-2007 10:43 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: whadeduck on 10-25-2007 09:25 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I have occasion to replace a door skin on a badly cut door. It is easier to replace just the skin or the entire door? If I replace just the skin can this be done without taking the whole door apart? If so, what is the process?

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I have occasion to replace a door skin on a badly cut door. It is easier to replace just the skin or the entire door? If I replace just the skin can this be done without taking the whole door apart? If so, what is the process?

Easier to just replace the skin--Its held on by plastic type torque screws(strip easy) and then the door handle/parts. Not hard at all and doesnt take to long to get it done. I have swapped out several of them.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

--Its held on by plastic type torque screws(strip easy) and then the door handle/parts.

Although those screw are coated in plastic they are metal underneath. Nevertheless they do strip out easy. And it's always the last one that doesn't want to come out.

One thing to note is that the 84s are different. They have christmas tree fasteners at the top instead of slipping into a groove into the door.
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Removed both of mine to attach my stage 2 side pieces and it wasn't too hard. Pay close attention on the handle/lock rod after you've taken everything apart so you re-attach it properly. Obviously the mirrors need to be removed and theres nothing too hard about them except patience as your turning the 10mm nuts!
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Although those screw are coated in plastic they are metal underneath. Nevertheless they do strip out easy. And it's always the last one that doesn't want to come out.

One thing to note is that the 84s are different. They have christmas tree fasteners at the top instead of slipping into a groove into the door.

Was thinking they where metal underneather but I remember having to remove a few with other means/methods.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
Here's a door skin removal thread

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030531-2-028815.html

Rich
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2007 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't look too hard to do Will tackle it this weekend instead of swapping the entire door.. Thanks guys.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Just a tip, save the old skin. If you ever need to repair something or make a scoop or whatever, you'll have the right stuff. I made the front extractor scoop on my 87GT from an old doorskin.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2007 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
While you have the door skin off, it's a great time to lube up the window channels and locking mechanisms.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay