Started on: 10-20-2007 07:06 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Synthesis on 10-21-2007 09:20 AM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
A while back I remember seeing a thread regarding the use of 1965-76 VW Type 1 Exhaust Manifold flange gaskets on the Fiero V6.

I can not find a thread on it.

These are the gaskets: http://www.autopartswarehou...1732+4294966779+9201

Noone has them in stock locally that I can find, but I wanted to know if anyone else has used them?

I remember the thread stating that these were better than the stock gasket, and the person who used them had no leaks. I am due to change my transmission in the very near future, and while my engine is out, I am finishing the Stud conversion for the exhaust, and resolving an exhaust leak from hell.

Any information would be beneficial.

I found more information here.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
do you realize how tiny those are???? I just got done putting a type 1 motor together this week and I can't possibly see how they will fit. I'd gladly send you the extra exhaust gaskets, but I threw them out when the job was done.
Dave

------------------

450hp 1987 Fiero GT, 1986 Fiero SE, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I have not used them yet myself. I did read one where one member used them with good results.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I realize some of them are really small, but I am pretty sure someone had found some that fit perfectly from the VW, and I thought for sure it was from the Series 1 engines.

I also remember them having really good luck with them. My goal is to put them in and never worry about the gaskets again.

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2007 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
These are from an older VW engine,, some VW performance shops may have these,,or a shop that specializes in old V W,a vehicle that is not as good as its reputation..if you have an old gasket you can check Hi performance gaskets and adapt to fiero,you must have one bolt hole that is whole.. I ask about these and the original poster sent me info..can not remember who.. you can cut the stock gasket into 3 parts.. use bolt locks. I prefer to drill and wire, best is check every 6 monthsand use only top quality washers.also the bolts can be staked always stake at outside,difficult to wire or stake front of V6

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 10-20-2007).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
My engine will be out, and will have Rodney's stud kit installed. Brass locknots on oiled steel alloy studs. They don't loosen up easily.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2007 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I just measured the 2.8L exhaust ports and found 1 1/8" diameter. That is pretty small.
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

My engine will be out, and will have Rodney's stud kit installed. Brass locknots on oiled steel alloy studs. They don't loosen up easily.

If you don't have any broken bolts I envy you! The stud kit is the only way to go when replacing your exhaust gaskets. I've gotten a bunch of stuff from Rodney and have never been disappointed. On behalf or the next person to own your car should/when that day ever arrives, thank you for doing this!
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I just measured the 2.8L exhaust ports and found 1 1/8" diameter. That is pretty small.

Are they really that small? The VW gaskets just may fit. Might need some mods. What are the factory Fiero gaskets made of? The VW gaskets are metal/composite. I realy don't mess with the 2.8 liters too much The only one I have has over 200,000 miles on it and still has the original exhaust gaskets.
Dave

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:

If you don't have any broken bolts I envy you! The stud kit is the only way to go when replacing your exhaust gaskets. I've gotten a bunch of stuff from Rodney and have never been disappointed. On behalf or the next person to own your car should/when that day ever arrives, thank you for doing this!

Well, prior to selling the car back in Feb of 2005, I had replaced the engine and transmission with a set from an 87GT. I had replaced the exhaust bolts on the front of the engine with brand new bolts I ran to the store for. I only had to drill and tap one, and the hole is slightly off. That is the only one I am concerned with, so I may end up slapping something into the hole and threading the stud in if there is any play.

The rest of them should come out with no issues. I used red threadlocker on the rear manifold when I did the studs in that side this past Spring. The original bolts all came out with no issues whatsoever.

Just for a side note, I replaced the Y-Pipe to Manifold bolts when I broke both of them off. I used an Oiled Steel Alloy Socket Cap bolt from Home Depot. Similar to what Rodney sells as a stud kit. The black steel alloy should not rust at all. I will have to get some photos for you.

As for the gaskets, if the exhaust port really is that small, these may work. The original gasket is the metallic on one side soft on the other, and crushes when you install it. These new ones, if they will work should install and never leak. They can't burn out.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 10-21-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock