brake calipers by Daredevil05
Started on: 10-18-2007 03:10 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Gokart on 10-29-2007 04:08 PM
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I'm replacing the rear brakes on my 84. Which direction should I be rotating the pistons? The left caliper meaning the driver side, right?

Dave

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 10-18-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AP2k

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
Did you get a loaded package? I bought a set of loaded calipers when I replaced the rears and they didnt need rotating.
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I thought all rear calipers had to be rotated to retract the pistons? How do you know if they're loaded calipers? I don't know if they are the original calipers or not.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 10-18-2007).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Do you mean you are putting your old ones back on, or you bought new ones?

You rotate clockwise when retracting them in order to fit the new pads.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2007 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Do you mean you are putting your old ones back on, or you bought new ones?

You rotate clockwise when retracting them in order to fit the new pads.

Yeah.... I just changed out a left side on my '84 & I had to rotate it counter-clockwise to move it in to clear the pads.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Of all the things I've lost over the years, I miss my mind the most!
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2007 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I always visualize it this way: When the cable pulls the parking brake actuator arm it rotates a screw attached to the arm that fits into the piston, pushing the piston out. So, you want to turn the piston to "screw" it back down the parking brake actuator shaft.

JazzMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm, yours went backwards from my 86's. Maybe it doesn't matter which way to turn them, maybe turning them just helps them go in.
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I got the left side rear brakes done. The right side caliper is off but I can't separate the mounting boltss from the sleeve in order to clean and grease it before I put it back on. The left side mounting bolts separated from the sleeves with no problem but they were replaced before the car was sold to me. Are they suppose to separate or not?

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 10-23-2007).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Hmmm, yours went backwards from my 86's. Maybe it doesn't matter which way to turn them, maybe turning them just helps them go in.

I started rotating it clockwise & a friend watching said it was coming out. Perhaps opposite sides are reversed - were you working on the left side? (the OP was)
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Yep those bolts and sleeves are supposed to come apart, go to the parts store and get 2 new ones, they aren't too expensive. Otherwise the caliper can't move as it should to work.

Both of my rears I turned clockwise to open them up. I say clockwise meaning while holding them and the tool. If they could be on the car and be turned I would have been turning them the way the wheel rolls when the car is moving forward. We may be going teh same direction and thinking different.
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Thanks 2.5!

Dave
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2007 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Yep those bolts and sleeves are supposed to come apart, go to the parts store and get 2 new ones, they aren't too expensive. Otherwise the caliper can't move as it should to work.

Both of my rears I turned clockwise to open them up. I say clockwise meaning while holding them and the tool. If they could be on the car and be turned I would have been turning them the way the wheel rolls when the car is moving forward. We may be going teh same direction and thinking different.

The left wheel rolls counter-clockwise.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I know that you think you understood what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what I said was not what I was thinking I wanted to say or meant.
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I have the rear rotors and brake pads replaced. I'm trying to adjust the e-brake but the arm on the calipers doesn't rest on their stops. They have about 3/16 clearance before it bottoms out. I have to push them to their stops and that's with the e-brake loose and the springs doing their job, fully extended.

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Try a thin coat of brake grease between the actuator lever and the caliper as it may be binding.
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I always thought it was just the 88 calipers that need rotating to get the piston in.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock