Started on: 10-16-2007 09:30 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: darkhorizon on 10-19-2007 10:01 PM
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Well, I am thinking of swapping out the drivetrain on the IMSA.
It presently has a 3.2 turbo/4spd muncie
Talk to me about all the changes I would need to make to switch over to a 4t65e HD

The more I read the more I realize the 3800sc will blow apart the muncie and the 3800sc is what I intend to put in the car sooooooo

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Is not much more than custom mounting, a speedo converter that sits on the PCM and outputs to the speedo, and the usual auto stuff like trans cooler, shifter, shift cable.

The key to a 65e swap is the PCM, you need to either piggy back it onto your current motors sensors, and wire the aproprite transmission wires to the pcm, or just run a normal 3800 setup.
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
It will be a 3800sc/4t65e HD swap

what about tranny cooler lines to the front of the car?
Should replace radiator with automatic or just run auxilary?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
cooling setup is totally up to you, there are a few ways of doing it.

To retain some cold weather driveability, I retained the stock trans cooler in the radiator, but modded everything so I could run 3/8 brake line, instead of the rusted out 5/16 line. I got alot better flow, and the larger line was much easier to keep leak free, the only problem was a large amount of fittings, adapters need to be made before the line goes into the cooler, and the line itself was almost $50 from autozone.

The idea of keeping the cooler inside the radiator, is the fact that it will warm trans fluid so the trans fluid gets to operating temp quickly.
IFLYR22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
on a 3800 w/ 4t65e swap, match years of tranny and engine PCM. The various years and uses of 4t65e transmissions have different connections. ie the round connector of the transmission. The 2000 Pontiac use transmission has an external shift position switch, the 2001 Chevy use has an internal shift position switch. So, the connector pin out is different. you can adapt the transmissions to the PCM, but if you start with a match, you won't have to adapt it.
also, for a manual to auto conversion, you will need:
Transmission cooler lines
shifter and shifter plate
shift cable
auto mount brackets (mounts are the same)
flexplate (if your engine doesn't have one)
park position lockout detent cable from shifter to ignition switch (if you want the park lock out safety feature, without this, you will be able to remove your key with the transmission in any shift position. also, you will be able to shift it without a key in the ignition.)
automatic ignition switch (if you want to use the park lock out)
steering column (if you don't want the manual key release)

I did a duke w/ 5 speed to 3800 w/ 4t65e swap.
I didn't bother to swap the steering column or add in the detent cable.
I just have to remember to put it in park.
also, I used a 2000 engine from a Pontiac GP and a 2001 4t65e-hd tranny from a police impala.
I had to convert the tranny internal wiring harness to work with my PCM.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 10-19-2007).]

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Thanks darkhorizon and IFLYR22
I am thinking to install a new v-6 automatic radiator and an auxilary cooler in front.
I have agreed to buy a 3800sc/4t65e HD which are still connected together. (2001 ssei )

Thanks for the suggestions
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
If using the 2001 SSEi combo you will need a few extra parts like the pass axle from either a GTP or regal HD tranny and if using any prefabbed mounts you will also need to change the oil filter adapter. I would also reccomend getting a 99 or 2000 GTP PCM and wiring to match the GTP PCM to allow for much easier PCM programming and lack of trouble with the pass key system. Dan

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631
www.photosled.com/showgallery/cat/1583

IFLYR22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
go with the 99 PCM code, the 2000+ has Passkey 3 by default. most likely you will have to have a PCM recoded/reprogrammed anyway, so go with the 99 to avoid the passkey.
otherwise you can keep the passkey 3 and use a Passkey 3 / Passlock 2 interface from http://www.peripheralelectronics.com
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
The 99 file I looked at had passkey also, so I would be careful of that. 98 and 97 are the only ones I have confirmed will start without any tuning.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock