duke running bad by 86fiero-se
Started on: 10-13-2007 01:22 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: josef644 on 10-16-2007 06:17 PM
86fiero-se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2007 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fiero-seSend a Private Message to 86fiero-seDirect Link to This Post
okay my 86 fiero is givin me big troubles it has the hardest time starting up and then finally when it does start it revs up to about 1500 then stalls out even if i give it gas. ive replaced a ton of stuff i had good fuel prssure but im not sure if i do now or not and i can hear the fuel pump wind up when i flip the key on, the car smells like its running rich and blows blue smoke, im almost fed up with this car!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86fiero-se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2007 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fiero-seSend a Private Message to 86fiero-seDirect Link to This Post
anyone have an idea?
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2007 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Am guessing v6. Duh if I would only read... Duke... anyway...

Would help if you could list what you have replaced.

Did you do the CTS.

Does any gas leak from the inj. If you cycle the key but not start it?

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 10-14-2007).]

trikerman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2007 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trikermanSend a Private Message to trikermanDirect Link to This Post
Check the fuse. I had the same problem on my 1986 duke. The fuse was really lose in the fuse box and would cause problems getting a continuos fuel spray into the throttle body. I took a screw driver and bent the relays in and it solved the problem.

Although if you are getting a lot of blue smoke you might have other problems as well.

I did a complete rebuild job on my Duke and put about 30 miles on it and then decided to do a V8 swap. I sure wish I would have decided on the swap before sinking $1000 grand into that old Duke. I just pulled the engine and did the swap last weekend. Live and learn.
fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2007 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
Do what Dodgerunner said. Pull the air cleaner off the TB, turn the ket to run, but don't start it. Make sure the fuel pump doesn't sound like it's coming apart, and make sure you can't see any fuel dripping from the injector. Are you pulling any codes?

------------------
If you can't be good, be good at it.

86fiero-se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fiero-seSend a Private Message to 86fiero-seDirect Link to This Post
i have just replaced all the injector seals on it, and no its not leaking any fuel, the fuel pump sounds fine i can hear it fire up when i flip the key on, i am pulling two codes off of it when i checked it with a scan tool, it gave me MAP voltage to high, MAP voltage to low? so i unhooked the map sensor and bam it revs up to about 2500 rpm but it does seem to run a little better even tho its at a high rpm. also tonight i pulled the car out side and my driveway is on a bit of a slope and now the car will not fire at all, not even a little sputter. i can hear the fuel pump. but the injector and in the tbi is dry ? and it has a little under a half tank of fuel.
86fiero-se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fiero-seSend a Private Message to 86fiero-seDirect Link to This Post

86fiero-se

108 posts
Member since Aug 2007
*bump*
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I would make sure it has fuel and the gauge is not wrong. Low fuel and on a slope is a sure fire way to suck air into the system.

You have both a MAP voltage high and a MAP voltage low? Have you replaced the MAP since you started working on it?

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 10-15-2007).]

fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
Oh, and if you suspect that fuel is not being pumped, don't leave it on for long. Those things fry easily when dry.

------------------
1984 Fiero SE, White, first love, sold...
1986 Fiero SE 2M6, gold
1988 Fiero 2M4, the Fox
1987 Fiero GT, Blue, 3.4/4T40
Still looking for that perfect CJB 88 GT...

86fiero-se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fiero-seSend a Private Message to 86fiero-seDirect Link to This Post
no i have not replaced the map sensor yet
Scott Kimball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott KimballSend a Private Message to Scott KimballDirect Link to This Post
check out your EGR valve
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Well is there a throttle position sensor on these engines? Being that it revs itself up and then dies that soulnds logical.

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2007 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Unplug your fuel pump relay. Remove the air breather. Open the throttle. Add one tablespoon or so of gas down the throttle bore. Release the throttle. Try to start it up keep your foot off of the gas peddle. If it fires and runs till the gas is gone, then you have problems with the fuel supply. If it does not run, it is an ignition problem.
Un-plugging the relay takes the fuel supply out of the picture and focuses on the ignition circuts.
We need to figure out which is the culprit first.
Joe

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock