Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  am i the only person who cant the get firewall connectors loose??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

am i the only person who cant the get firewall connectors loose?? by Jrgicehc
Started on: 10-08-2007 12:34 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: blackrams on 10-09-2007 03:48 PM
Jrgicehc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcClick Here to Email JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
so im removing my engine, it needs to come out by tonight, and i cant get the wiring harness connectors loose on the firewall. does anyone who has done it have any advice?

some responces ASAP would be good since this is the only thing holding me up from dropping the subframe.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
Don't really know what's holding you up. Are you unable to remove the metal retaining clips that hold them in? You can pry on them with screwdrivers or just wiggle them with pliers to get them out. Then the plastic plugs snap out. I never had any that gave very much resistance.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManClick Here to Email JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The engine wiring harness doesn't use connectors where it goes through the firewall, that's just a pass-through plug. Remove the center console and the ECM and you'll see a clip that holds the pass-through block in place. Disconnect the wiring harness from the ECM and disconnect the C200 connector below, then pull the entire harness out through the hole in the firewall after removing the clip.

JazzMan
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageClick Here to Email ltlfrariSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Those 'connectors' are actually filled with some sort of resin that holds them together. To get the wiring thru the firewall, remove any clip and pull the complete harness thru the firewall hole. You can separate the two parts of the clip and get the wires out of the resin but it's not a fun job (just done it) ad unless you are rewiring the car, there's no point.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Jrgicehc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcClick Here to Email JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

The engine wiring harness doesn't use connectors where it goes through the firewall, that's just a pass-through plug. Remove the center console and the ECM and you'll see a clip that holds the pass-through block in place. Disconnect the wiring harness from the ECM and disconnect the C200 connector below, then pull the entire harness out through the hole in the firewall after removing the clip.

JazzMan

thats my problem, haha. i didnt realize that did not pull apart. thanks for the help JazzMan. now i can drop my engine out
NeoTristan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoTristanClick Here to visit NeoTristan's HomePageClick Here to Email NeoTristanSend a Private Message to NeoTristanDirect Link to This Post
I can only figure out the one harness! I cant figure the other harness? Do i have to pull tape up or unwrap the bundles or what?

------------------
Tristan
84 Fiero SE

William Federle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for William FederleClick Here to Email William FederleSend a Private Message to William FederleDirect Link to This Post
If your car is a 1984 Fiero then you'll have to disconnect the wiring from the engine. The wiring from the bundle doesn't just go to the engine on 1984 Fieros.

EDIT: I guess I should have read the thread more carefully. You got to the point where you're ready to remove your engine. I guess you don't have a 1984 Fiero. Sorry about that (but glad for you). Good luck with your Fiero.

[This message has been edited by William Federle (edited 10-09-2007).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 223
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsClick Here to Email blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jrgicehc:
thats my problem, haha. i didnt realize that did not pull apart. thanks for the help JazzMan. now i can drop my engine out

Don't feel bad, been there, done that.

------------------
Ron

Never, never do anything or wear things that you don't want to have to explain to Paramedics, it can get very embarrassing. They talk!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock