Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  87 Duke w/Isuzu 5 speed manual (tranny oil question)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

87 Duke w/Isuzu 5 speed manual (tranny oil question) by perceptionist
Started on: 10-08-2007 04:09 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: josef644 on 10-08-2007 03:33 PM
perceptionist

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post
So I am considering draining my transmission oil and refilling it with fresh oil.

I plan to use 50% Lucas oil Stabilizer. (good idea, bad idea?) your thoughts are welcome on this. I have yet to read anything negative on this product.

I am looking for ideas on the best oil to use in my tranny. What do the tranny gurus recommend for the Isuzu 5 speed from an 87 w/duke.

The transmission has never had any signs of problems since I bought the car about 2 years ago. I am not sure when the last time the trans oil was changed and I am looking for piece of mind on this since I am also installing a new (re manufactured) Duke.

I am hesitant to go by my Hayne's manual in case their recommendation is outdated.

As always, Thanks for all your help!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierodeletre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 duke/isuzu coupe and also would like to know this for almost the exact same reason. I've been told that the product you want is called "Synchro-mesh", but I do not know where to get it or how well it works.

------------------
If you can't be good, be good at it.

Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
Friends don't let friends use oil additives. Put down the bottle and step away slowly!

Fill the transmission with straight synchromesh and be done with it. That's all you need. Mixing it with anything else is just a bad idea.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.c...ages/lucas/lucas.htm - Have a look at this for one of the reasons why.

The Isuzu should have no problem holding up under a stock or even heavily (hah!) modified 'duke.
perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post
Jax184,

Thanks that was a good read. So syncromesh it is. Are there variations of syncromesh like conventional or synthetic, different viscosities etc... or is there only one syncromesh?

Thanks
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Head to your closest GM Dealer, and pick up 2 quarts of Syncromesh for a Manual Transmission. It is the only kind they have in stock.

About 25 bucks total for both.
perceptionist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post
Great, Thank you for the info.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Pennzoil also makes synchromesh oil. You should be able to find it at your local auto parts store. I paid about $6 per quart at Auto Zone.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-08-2007).]

fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
Is the Pennzoil stuff as good?

------------------
If you can't be good, be good at it.

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Thats what I put in mine also. Just above $6.00 at NAPA. I suspect one company makes it all, and just puts it into different colored and labeled containers for different sellers.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock