Where to buy Springs? by Steve25
Started on: 10-04-2007 08:59 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Steve25 on 10-05-2007 09:13 PM
Steve25

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post
The Koni's are ordered, actually on back order at SHOX.COM, I figure I'll get them around the 15th. So now the question is springs. I'd like to lower an inch and I like to drive some but not racing or on a track, just twisty roads, on and off ramps, corners, that kind of thing. So I'm thinking that coilovers might be overkill and that progressive rate springs about an inch lower in the stock position should do the trick.

The shocks\struts now are completely toast. Probably original equipment. Other than that the suspension is sound, ball joints have been replaced.

Future improvement plans are to upgrade to poly wherever possible, upgrade to 225/45/17 tires and 17 X 7" wheels and maybe up the sway bars.

I'd appreciate any comments or questions and suggestions also where to buy springs. I've looked at the ones listed at The fiero store and they seem to fit the bill but I am a bit concerned because I don't know who makes them.

Thanks

Steve@88GT.com

[This message has been edited by Steve25 (edited 10-04-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Eibach makes some great ones. Here is a set that lowers the car .8 inches

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve25:

The Koni's are ordered, actually on back order at SHOX.COM, I figure I'll get them around the 15th. So now the question is springs. I'd like to lower an inch and I like to drive some but not racing or on a track, just twisty roads, on and off ramps, corners, that kind of thing. So I'm thinking that coilovers might be overkill and that progressive rate springs about an inch lower in the stock position should do the trick.

The shocks\struts now are completely toast. Probably original equipment. Other than that the suspension is sound, ball joints have been replaced.

Future improvement plans are to upgrade to poly wherever possible, upgrade to 225/45/17 tires and 17 X 7" wheels and maybe up the sway bars.

I'd appreciate any comments or questions and suggestions also where to buy springs. I've looked at the ones listed at The fiero store and they seem to fit the bill but I am a bit concerned because I don't know who makes them.

Thanks

Steve@88GT.com

To add to what I.M.S.A. said, I like the Eibach springs too.

I do highly recommend one thing. Poly bushings are very inexpensive. I think they're like 40 for the set or something. If you're going to go through the trouble of removing the strut in the rear, you might as well take care of the poly bushings now. You'll save yourself the additional labor cost, as well as needing to do an alignment all over again. Even if you're doing the labor yourself, it'll save you lots of time.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (Wife's Car)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2) 5-Speed
1984 Porsche 944 5-Speed
1981 Pontiac TransAm (Olds 455BB)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Eibach makes some great ones. Here is a set that lowers the car .8 inches

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

If only it were that easy. :-) The set in the link is for 84 to 87. I have an 88.
Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
To add to what I.M.S.A. said, I like the Eibach springs too.

I do highly recommend one thing. Poly bushings are very inexpensive. I think they're like 40 for the set or something. If you're going to go through the trouble of removing the strut in the rear, you might as well take care of the poly bushings now. You'll save yourself the additional labor cost, as well as needing to do an alignment all over again. Even if you're doing the labor yourself, it'll save you lots of time.

I really appreciate the suggestion on doing the urethanes now. Great planning.

I talked to the fiero store today. I am a litle disappointed at what they offer for springs for the 88 GT. They are lowering springs like I want but the fronts are fixed rate which doesn't do it for me, 243 lbs, the rears are at least progressive but they are only 180 to 230 lbs. I reallywant heavier. WCF had no stock replacement offering but they do have the coilovers. Maybe I'm back to that.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock