Started on: 10-01-2007 09:30 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Tha Driver on 10-02-2007 02:57 PM
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
At some point in it's distant past someone has given the old car a rattle can spray job of sorts with LOTS of over spray. Some of that over spray is on the lower part of the rear window and it's been on there for god know how long so it's well and truly dried on. It's not a lot but it's enough to be annoying.

Anyone know of something non abrasive that will get it off without destroying the plastic weather seal strip just below it at the bottom of the window or scratching the glass?

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
I was in auto body shop in high school, and we used green scotch bright pads to remove over spray from glass. It comes right off. It shouldnt hurt the plastic, just dont go hard on it. Now that i post this i cant remember whether it was the red or the green scotch bright pads. Sorry i hope this helps you out.
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
glass cleaner and a careful razor blade works great.

------------------
1988 GT Wingless Fastback 5 Speed Purchased 8-4-07

Billiard Ball Shifters For Sale! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/038696.html

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I second using the razor blade and soapy water or spray cleaner. Keep the blade fairly flat to the glass and it will come off.
88 Silver Formula

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
i use throttle body cleaner..works great and wont hurt the glass.
fieroluv

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
I have always used a really sharp razor blade, works great.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88 Silver Formula:

i use throttle body cleaner..works great and wont hurt the glass.

I tried carb cleaner, probably similar stuff, but it did not touch it. Don;t forget it been on there for who knows how long so it's pretty well cured by now.
Anyway, thanks to all for the ideas, looks like I'll be spending some time with a razor blade.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I agree. For glass all you need is a rasor blade. Make sure it is a new one and doesn't have any nicks in the blade. They will scratch the glass. You wont need anything else.
prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
Fine steelwool takes over spray right off and won't scratch the glass. It works great.
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
SOS soapy steel wool pad and plenty of water so the soap does not stain anything.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2007 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
claybar
PFF
System Bot
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
paint thinner? its worked for me
dvlmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dvlmnSend a Private Message to dvlmnDirect Link to This Post
the best way is to give the car to me
i promise ill love it

------------------
The Devil/El Diablo
1987 SE 2M6

My Cardomain
My Photobucket(pix of my car and things i hope to add)

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Aceone soaked rag works great. Just be careful not to touch any of yor painted surfaces with it.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I do it almost daily. Razor blade is good for thick paint, like where there was a open masked window. I use OOO steelwool myself. Scotchbrite pads WILL scratch glass permanently. Remember there used to prep a surface for paint. Thinner will do the job, but you run the risk of messing up paint or rubber parts and you still have to clean up the smears left. Steelwool cleans it better than glass cleaner with no risk.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Use a razor blade. Very fine steelwool works great, *untill* you realize a few days later that you didn't blow off EVERY SPECK of the dust & it has RUSTED INTO YOUR PAINT!!!
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

"The police said he commited suicide: he shot himself in the head - twice!"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock