tranny for 3800 SC 2 by gaas88
Started on: 09-29-2007 11:42 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: RideZiLightning on 10-06-2007 06:16 PM
gaas88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2007 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gaas88Click Here to visit gaas88's HomePageSend a Private Message to gaas88Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys,
Got a friend of mine who just bought a 1987 Fiero with a 91 Ferrari Testarossa re-body kit. Fantastic kit - really sweet. The car came with an engine swap completed - 3800 SC2 with a 4 speed Muncie Transmission. He's having tranny issues and wants to replace it altogether. The engine is solid - what transmissions are available for this engine?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2007 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
I think we really need some pics ..... you can use a wide variety of trans alot of people wanting a manual trans use the getrag,
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2007 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Does he want to stay with a manual? What ECM is the car running?
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2007 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Automatics are the best way to go when it comes to 3800 swaps, but you might have to change over to a obd2 engine management if he used obd1 for the swap, which was/is common.

The auto that you would want to use would be found in any series 2 supercharged car 97-02.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2007 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Could you please post pics? Of the car and the engine/tranny combo.
JCUOIT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2007 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITDirect Link to This Post
The way i see it there are 3 tranny's for 3 mind sets:
1) what you take out, you put back in. its an easy swap considering you just replace the tranny. and you wont need to worry about mounts or linkages or gear selection problems.
Benefits: simple, no worries.
Drawbacks: likely expensive considering that they are getting rare (ish).

2) Something more common; you could swap in a getrag 282 5 speed from a V6 Z24 cavalier with the 3.1. its a bit harder but its cheaper.
Benefits: 1 more gear, its easier to find, and likely cheaper to buy .
Drawbacks: mounts are custom, linkage brackets are custom, and the shifter feel might suffer.

3) go out and get a 6 speed for the Ferrari. the 6 speed from the G6. they can be found in a junker (rarely), best bet is ebay or archie or anyone else with one laying about.
Benefits: you have 6 gears like a real Ferrari, its more efficient, more variety, is really cool in my opinion.
Drawbacks: i dont know if anyone has got one working, you'd have to check into that one. too rich for my blood, 500$ per tranny, then you need the clutch,
the linkages, the shifter, etc. it could be a pain.

seller:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/035202.html
install thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078656.html

hope that helps
JC

(P.S. the 6 speed would kick ass!)
Fiero Brick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2007 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero BrickSend a Private Message to Fiero BrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCUOIT:

The way i see it there are 3 tranny's for 3 mind sets:
3) go out and get a 6 speed for the Ferrari. the 6 speed from the G6. they can be found in a junker (rarely), best bet is ebay or archie or anyone else with one laying about.
Benefits: you have 6 gears like a real Ferrari, its more efficient, more variety, is really cool in my opinion.
Drawbacks: i dont know if anyone has got one working, you'd have to check into that one. too rich for my blood, 500$ per tranny, then you need the clutch,
the linkages, the shifter, etc. it could be a pain.

The gear ratios of the G6/F40 6 speed transmission also suck for performance. 1st is too short unless you have an engine that likes to rev, and if you do have an engine that likes to rev, the RPM drop when shifting to second will very likely bring you back out of your power band. Repeat similar problems with 3rd-5th. The 6th gear is great for getting excellent highway/interstate mileage, though.

It's a shame it was designed for vehicles 700+ lbs heavier and significantly less sporty than a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Brick (edited 09-30-2007).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2007 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
honestly, now we have access to factory transmissions that handle the power we can make, the gearing is really a huge letdown, and even with massive power, your 1/4 mile times will be significantly behind any autos assuming the same wheel HP. I would say that if you made 700horsepower to the wheels with a 6speed, then put that same 700hp into an auto, you would be significantly faster. the only problem with this equation is the huge difference in parasidic loss due to the transmission, the output power of a auto is significantly less than the output power manual, to the tune of 15%, which could mean a 100+WHP differnce between a manual and an auto at those levels.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2007 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006
sig

------------------
[16:58] davepettinelli: mine's got a court-apponted psychiatrist
[16:58] davepettinelli: yay girls
[16:59] GTPimpin: mine whines alot
[16:59] GTPimpin: her name is fiero

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

gaas88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gaas88Click Here to visit gaas88's HomePageSend a Private Message to gaas88Direct Link to This Post
I don't have pics of his car and I don't know what ECM he is running either. Thanks all who posted - much appreciated.
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2007 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Automatics are the best way to go when it comes to 3800 swaps, but you might have to change over to a obd2 engine management if he used obd1 for the swap, which was/is common.

The auto that you would want to use would be found in any series 2 supercharged car 97-02.

why would he have to change ECMs? he can just use a 4t60e HD from a 91-95 caddy with a 4.9L, or from a buick park ave ultra or grand prix/monte carlo ss with a series 1 3800SC
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
How about the F-35 tranny? I know it's a 5 spd, but it has an LSD option. IIRC it also has a 6 speed option with strait cut synchronized gears by quaife. So it would be the best of both worlds.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2007 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronrus:

why would he have to change ECMs? he can just use a 4t60e HD from a 91-95 caddy with a 4.9L, or from a buick park ave ultra or grand prix/monte carlo ss with a series 1 3800SC

as why I said might, because its a better idea to go with a 65e trans, as they are very well known for their strength out of the box, and near unlimited upgradeablity.
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2007 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

as why I said might, because its a better idea to go with a 65e trans, as they are very well known for their strength out of the box, and near unlimited upgradeablity.

ehh, thats debatable, but this thread isnt about debating the 4t60eHD vs. the 4t65e, so i will drop it
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

honestly, now we have access to factory transmissions that handle the power we can make, the gearing is really a huge letdown, and even with massive power, your 1/4 mile times will be significantly behind any autos assuming the same wheel HP. I would say that if you made 700horsepower to the wheels with a 6speed, then put that same 700hp into an auto, you would be significantly faster. the only problem with this equation is the huge difference in parasidic loss due to the transmission, the output power of a auto is significantly less than the output power manual, to the tune of 15%, which could mean a 100+WHP differnce between a manual and an auto at those levels.

and the other points - No human can shift as fast an an automatic can. There is a reason why automatics rule in most drag race classes. You just jam that sucker to the floor and hold on!

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

and the other points - No human can shift as fast an an automatic can. There is a reason why automatics rule in most drag race classes. You just jam that sucker to the floor and hold on!

Screw that lol

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock