Car not getting fire?? by ly041181
Started on: 09-25-2007 06:58 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Synthesis on 09-26-2007 03:04 PM
ly041181

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ly041181Send a Private Message to ly041181Direct Link to This Post
ok here lately my car has been dying whenever I put it in nuetral to slow down. but once I give it gas it will be ok. Well I was taking off from a stop sign today and it kinda spuddered then died and now it won't start at all!! My father used a spark tester to see if it was getting fire and he said it wasn't but the distributor was turning, so I replaced the cap, rotor button and coil. And still nothing!! Any ideas? Also how do I run the codes on it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ly041181:

ok here lately my car has been dying whenever I put it in nuetral to slow down. but once I give it gas it will be ok. Well I was taking off from a stop sign today and it kinda spuddered then died and now it won't start at all!! My father used a spark tester to see if it was getting fire and he said it wasn't but the distributor was turning, so I replaced the cap, rotor button and coil. And still nothing!! Any ideas? Also how do I run the codes on it?

Ignition module, it might not set a code for this. Ground terminals A and B to each other and turn the ignition on. Codes are flashed in two parts with an extended pause between the first and second number. The first code should be 12 which is normal.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Ignition modual (the pickup is replaced at the same time) my second guess would be the coil pack.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Ummm... The pickup coil is not replaced at the same time as the Module.

The module is 2 screws holding it in under the rotor button. Pull the module, replace it with one directly from GM...

You pay more for it, but you get a top notch part.
ly041181

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ly041181Send a Private Message to ly041181Direct Link to This Post
The car is an 87 GT. Where is the ignition module located and is the coil pack different from the ignition coil?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
The module is inside of the distributor under the rotor cap. The two plugs on the side of the distributor that come from the harness/coil are the module. Unplug those two plugs, pull the cap and rotor, remove the two screws holding the module down (5.5mm or 6mm), carefully unplug the plug on the back of the module that goes to the pickup coil...

Clean the mounting area thoroughly. Mount new module using fresh thermal paste that comes with new module. Plug all 3 plugs back in, replace rotor, and then replace cap being careful not to pinch the two pickup coil wires in between the cap and distributor.

Start car. Drive. Enjoy.

The car does not have a coil "pack". It only has a coil. The coil is mounted next to the distributor.
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Here is a shot of the V6 dist. You can see one of the 2 bolts holding the ignition module in place. You can also see the wires that connect the back of the IM to the pickup coil (The round thing with white tape around it). Take your IM to a place like Autozone or Advance and have them test it 2 or 3 times to get it hot.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Ummm... The pickup coil is not replaced at the same time as the Module.

The module is 2 screws holding it in under the rotor button. Pull the module, replace it with one directly from GM...

You pay more for it, but you get a top notch part.

I was told by a mechanic,that the pickup should be replaced when the Ignition modual is replaced.

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
It does not need to be.. The Pickup coil requires that the distributor be pulled out and then completely disassembled.

I am not questioning you, but any mechanic that tells me that the pickup coil needs to be changed when the module gets changed is only in it for the money.

The pickup coil is solid state, one continuous wire wrapped around the metal framework for the pickup coil.
It CAN fail, but the chances of it happening are slim to none, and usually happens due to corrosion on the metal points of the coil framework, or someone pinching the wires or damaging the plug.

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
You really should change the pickup coil when you replace the module if it's as old (very), it's preventive maintenance and much more convenient to do on schedule as opposed to necessity after stalling out. Have Autozone check your module but don't dare let them sell you a replacement. I've learned my lesson and I would take the OE module regardless of the choices available even if it's high performance.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 09-25-2007).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

You really should change the pickup coil when you replace the module if it's as old (very), it's preventive maintenance and much more convenient to do on schedule as opposed to necessity after stalling out. Have Autozone check your module but don't dare let them sell you a replacement. I've learned my lesson and I would take the OE module regardless of the choices available even if it's high performance.

I can agree with you and James Bond on that, that if you have a distributor that is original and has never been rebuilt, it would make sense to replace the Pickup coil at that time. But it does not need to be done every time the module is done. And no, don't buy an Autozone module. GM modules are top notch. Buy one of them and put it in, and buy a cheap one to get you home or to the next dealer in the event of failure.
PFF
System Bot
ly041181

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly041181Send a Private Message to ly041181Direct Link to This Post
Just got my IM. Going to install it now. I'll keep you guys posted.
ly041181

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly041181Send a Private Message to ly041181Direct Link to This Post

ly041181

202 posts
Member since Aug 2007
All done thanks guys!!
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Take her for a spin around the block, get the engine warm, and see how she acts..

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock