The Porsche tranny info thread by ALLTRBO
Started on: 09-24-2007 06:22 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: ALLTRBO on 12-31-2007 04:07 PM
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I've been researching a bit and these are some things I've found about the various manual longitudinal transaxles from Porsche. I figure this might be a good way to put a lot of info into one place here considering that a lot of people stretch Fieros for rebodies and may like to add a setup like this.
If you have any real info to add (no rumors or false info please) it would be much appreciated. Also, try to avoid posting duplicate info multiple times, as I'd like to keep the clutter down as much as possible (hard with all this info).

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 09-24-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Links:

Renegade Hybrids (suppliers of Porsche transaxles, adapter kits, clutch components, custom shifters, etc)
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/indexx.html

Rennsport Systems (Porsche builders and racers)
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/

Motor Meister Engines (U.S. rebuilders and suppliers of Porsche transaxle parts)
http://www.motormeister.com...ans/clutch_trans.htm

911pcar (Porsche salvage yard, lots of trannies)
http://www.911pcar.com/Pors...ts_transmissions.htm

Lambo Lounge (Forums for Lambo kit cars- lots of Porsche tranny info, probably some Fiero stretch stuff too)
http://www.lambolounge.com/

GT40S.com (GT40 forum, lots of Porsche tranny info)
http://www.gt40s.com

bubbajoexxx's build thread here on PFF, can't forget that! He's using a G50, some info in there.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/033676.html

Articles:

MechTech on the '930 tranny:
http://www.mechtech-ms.com/mag8.php

More links can be added as they become available.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
From Renegade Hybrids on the '930 transaxle (my personal favorite because of what I'd like to do with one):

NOTE: All adapter kits listed below are designed to mate an LS series Chevy V-8 motor to the Porsche transaxle. Many other adapter kits are available, but cost may differ according to your motor and transaxle choice, clutch requirements, and application.

The "best bang for your buck" option for a V-8 conversion is the 930 (911 turbo) four-speed transaxle. Originally designed for racing applications, this tranny can handle 700+ HP. It can be modified to be used in mid engine kit cars without turning the box upside-down. Maybe you have a 911 chassis that originally had the 901, 911, or 915 transaxle and you need a stronger transaxle. This 930 transaxle can actually be shortened to fit in a stock 911 chassis. Plus, the stock gear ratios are very nice for higher performance V-8 power plants. At 6500 RPM's, with 25 inch diameter tires, expect speed approaching 180MPH.

The preceding descriptions give you an application, approximate HP rating, and price (omitted -ALLTRBO), to help you choose the correct transaxle and create a budget for your project. Depending on your specific application, performance expectations, clutch specification, gear ratios, HP capabilities, and other variables, cost may change. For more information, and specifics to your unique project, please feel free to contact Renegade.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Good idea for a thread!
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Renegade on the G50 5-speed (very common for swaps):

('87 to '89)
In the late '80s, Porsche redesigned the 911-based transaxles, and improved shifting and clutch operation. A better synchro design was implemented within and hydraulics were added to operate the clutch. Gear ratios, however, remained a little short in 4th and 5th for V-8 applications, so we have selected a terrific set of gears that will increase your potential top speed to over 200MPH at 6500RPM.

Due to the demand for transaxles capable of handling higher horse power like the Porsche G-series, yet the need for a compact (shorter) design for kit car applications, Renegade offers a side shifter conversion to the G-series transaxles. This custom modification allows us to remove the stock shift shaft from the nose (or tail in a mid-engine design), and add a new billet housing and shift shaft assembly to the side of the transaxle. The result is a smoother shifting tranny in a much shorter space. ( picture )

Further advancements needed with regard to the nose of the transaxle (opposite the bellhousing), prompted Renegade to develop a new billet end plate that offers a finished look to the rear of the tranny (in a mid engine application). Furthermore, mounting tabs were designed into this plate to facilitate easy connection to the chassis. (This "end" plate can only be used with our side shifter modification.)

We offer conversion components for the '87 to '89 G-50 series transaxles both for mid and rear engine application. The Porsche standard G-50 01 (or equivalent) transaxle is best used with motors up to 500 HP. For mid engine application, all G-series transaxles are inverted for proper mid-engine operation. This requires an adapter plate with the inverted pattern.

-------------------------------

G-5050 ('89 turbo only)
In the late '80s, Porsche redesigned the 911-based transaxles to improve shifting and clutch operation. A better synchro design was implemented within and hydraulics were added to operate the clutch. It was not until the 1989 Porsche turbo 911 that the big turbo transaxles were also upgraded with these benefits and a bit more. Five TALL gears were now standard in the turbos, instead of four, and the turbo version of the G-50 was stronger than its normally aspirated counterpart (the G-50).

NOTE: This one-year-only transaxle is rare indeed and often confused with a standard G-50 (such as the G-50 05). Be very cautious when purchasing this tranny as a core if you choose to do so.

Due to the demand for transaxles capable of handling higher horse power like the Porsche G-series, yet the need for a compact (shorter) design for kit car applications, Renegade offers a side shifter conversion to the G-series transaxles. This custom modification allows us to remove the stock shift shaft from the nose (or tail in a mid-engine design), and add a new billet housing and shift shaft assembly to the side of the transaxle. The result is a smoother shifting tranny in a much shorter space. ( picture )

Further advancements needed with regard to the nose of the transaxle opposite the bellhousing, prompted Renegade to develop a new billet end plate that offers a finished look to the rear of the tranny (in a mid engine application). Furthermore, mounting tabs were designed into this plate to facilitate easy connection to the chassis. (This "end" plate can only be used with our side shifter modification.)

We offer conversion components for the '87 to '89 G-50 series transaxles (including '89 turbo) for mid and rear engine application. The Porsche turbo transaxle (G-5050) is best used with motors up to 650 HP. For mid engine application, all G-series transaxles are inverted for proper operation. This requires an adapter plate with the inverted pattern.

---------------------------------

(90+)
In 1990, the G-series transaxles had replaced all the older designs in the 911 body style. Quicker and smoother shifting, greater reliability, and the aid of hydraulics to operate the larger clutches, really made the driving experience much more enjoyable. Gear ratios in the NA transaxles, however, remained a little short in 4th and 5th for V-8 applications, so we have selected a terrific set of gears that will increase your potential top speed to over 200MPH at 6500RPM.

Porsche made two major changes in the external design of the G-series transaxles for 1990. A single protruding mono mount point (often referred to as the "donut" mount) was cast into the nose cover, and the bellhousing & starter pocket were changed to accommodate a new clutch component and starter design. The "donut" mount can be exchanged for an earlier '87 to '89 mount with minimal effort (or can be made to work with our billet nose mounting plate), but the bellhousing and starter pocket changes were not easily accepted into the kit car industry.

No less than four different designs have been attempted to rectify the starter-to-ring-gear positioning issue with regard to high compression motors. Yes, it is quite confusing... but OUR design has been used successfully for many years now and has been accepted as the industry standard. In short, we modify the starter pocket and the bellhousing on the '90 and newer transaxle so that the more desirable '87 to '89 G-series clutch components and starter can be used. Yes... this allows the very popular gear reduction type starters to be used to crank over higher compression motors such as the LS-series GM motors. (Stock Porsche starters cannot handle the extreme duty.) The modifications do not, however, damage or weaken the transaxle.

Further advancements needed with regard to the "donut" nose of the transaxle opposite the bellhousing, prompted Renegade to develop a new billet end plate that offers a finished look to the rear of the tranny (in a mid engine application). Furthermore, mounting tabs were designed into this plate to facilitate easy connection to the chassis. (This "end" plate can only be used with our side shifter modification.)

We offer conversion components for the '90 and newer G-50 series transaxles (including '90 and newer turbo) for mid and rear engine application. The Porsche normally aspirated transaxle (G-50) is best used with motors up to 500 HP. For mid engine application, all G-series transaxles are inverted for proper operation. This requires an adapter plate with the inverted pattern.

--------------------------------

G-5052 ('90 and Newer - Turbo)
In 1990, the G-series transaxles had replaced all the older designs in the 911 body style. Quicker and smoother shifting, greater reliability, and the aid of hydraulics to operate the larger clutches, really made the driving experience much more enjoyable. Gear ratios in the NA transaxles, however, remained a little short for V-8 applications, but the G-5052 turbo tranny had the preferred taller gears. In addition, the turbo design was built to handle up to 700HP!

NOTE: This popular transaxle is rare indeed and often confused with a standard G-50 (such as the G-50 02). Be very cautious when purchasing this tranny as a core if you choose to do so.

Porsche made two major changes in the external design of the G-series transaxles for 1990 and later. A single protruding mono mount point (often referred to as the "donut" mount) was cast into the nose cover, and the bellhousing & starter pocket were changed to accommodate a new clutch component and starter design. The "donut" mount can be exchanged for an earlier '87 to '89 design with minimal effort (or can be made to work with our billet nose mounting plate), but the bellhousing and starter pocket changes were not easily accepted into the kit car industry.

No less than four different designs have been implemented to rectify the starter-to-ring-gear positioning issue with regard to high compression motors. Yes, it is quite confusing... but OUR design has been used successfully for many years now. In short, we modify the starter pocket and the bellhousing on the '90 and newer transaxle so that the more desirable '87 to '89 G-series clutch components and starter design can be used. Yes... this allows the very popular gear reduction type starters to be used to crank over higher compression motors such as the LS-series GM motors. The modifications do not, however, damage or weaken the transaxle.

Further advancements needed with regard to the "donut" nose of the transaxle opposite the bellhousing, prompted Renegade to develop a new billet end plate that offers a finished look to the rear of the tranny (in a mid engine application). Furthermore, mounting tabs were designed into this plate to facilitate easy connection to the chassis. (This "end" plate can only be used with our side shifter modification.)

We offer conversion components for the '90 and newer G-50 series transaxles (including '90 and newer turbo) for mid and rear engine application. The Porsche turbo transaxle (G-50) is best used with motors up to 700 HP. For mid engine application, all G-series transaxles are inverted for proper mid-engine operation. This requires an adapter plate with the inverted pattern.

-------------------------------

G-Series 6 Speeds:

While the idea of a six-speed Porsche transaxle has quite an attractive appeal, these pricey little gems are usually not a good choice for your V-8 project. Porsche developed the majority of these close ratio short-geared boxes so that the limited power band, and extremely high RPM Porsche motors, would stay within their high RPM "sweet spot" while shifting through the gears. In other words, your first gear is way too low and virtually unusable with a V-8, second through fifth; you are spending more time shifting than standing on the gas; and sixth is a very short, under 150 MPH, disappointment. This is not like the GM six speed transmissions that boast 1700 RPM at 70 MPH. Sorry. It's more like 2800 RPM at 70 MPH in sixth... Ouch.

There is one exception. There is a few Porsche 6 speeds that have a little taller gears. They are still not nearly as tall as the GM transmissions (yeah- I love the T56 ratios in my TT IROC-Z! -ALLTRBO), but it is a six speed. Call for a price if you are interested.

------------------------------------

(by ALLTRBO again):
There are also 914 (901 type) and 915 trannies, but they're used less for various reasons (namely that the others are better). If you want to read up on them Renegade Hybrids has sections on those too (first link above).

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Good thread on GT40S.com about how much power a 930 tranny will hold-
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/...746-930-failure.html

Some highlights from that thread incase it becomes extinct:

"I also got off the phone with Roger at PowerhausII and asked if he has seen a failed (due to blown R&P or gears) 930 trans and said no. The only one he has seen blown was due to a clutch explosion that cracked the bell, FWIW. He did mention that it is a very stout trans with all shafts supported. Most repairs were sliders/syncros."

"The 930 has a 1" (23mm) x 23 spline input shaft. I don't know about the others but many Chrysler muscle cars used the same size, so I wouldn't expect it would be a problem. The G50 also uses the same. The 915 uses a 3/4" (19mm) x 20."

"I read somewhere, Renegade I think, that the 915 is good for 400 hp and 350 tq but the killer is that all the ratios are miles too low for a V8. And you're right, the r&p is the weak link in all Porsche trannies but so far I haven't heard of anyone destroying a 930. I don't know the size of the 915 r&p but the G50/0x is 190, the G50/5x is 215 and the 930 is 235. My reference (Paul Frere) also states that compared to the 915, the 930 went to heavier axles and 4 spiders, so not quite sure what we are looking at here?"

"The 915 uses the same bearings as the 930 and the retainer plate for the 930 will bolt in place of the 915. The 915 used a two piece retainer (same as G31--80 924 turbo) and the 930 used a one piece retainer (same as 016Y--70 924 n/a) I don't know why they did this. I have both retainers and their are cmpletely interchangeable. There is also a billet aftermarket one available."

"If anyone is interested in the power that a 930 transaxle can take, check out this car! 400 small block Chevy powered, 10.10 @ 148 MPH.
Excelsior Motorsports" (dead link- no info of said car found on that website -ALLTRBO)

"The going price over the years is about $3K. If you see one that needs a rebuild, then you can get it for less. My car came with a 930 in it. I took it out to my frienly Porsche shop forman who told me that most of the trans with about 40K miles need rebuilding as the dog teeth get pretty worn. Syncros start to go about then as well. The case bearings need to be tested with the drop through test to see if they need replacing but that is pretty rare. Very difficult to change out. The case has to be heated and the bearing frozen and then pressed in. A typical rebuild will run about $1500, which is what he quoted me."

"I'm new to the site, but wanted to throw in my two cents, regarding the Porsche 930. I'm running one (930 transaxle, with LSD) inverted, behind a small block Chev (yes, I know....Chev, boo...hiss). The mill has twin turbos, intercoolers, and fuel injection, and was "soft tuned" on an honest dyno at 857 HP. The torque levels are consistant with the HP readings, and come in at relatively low (2,500) RPM. I'm running the engine/transaxle in a McLaren Mk 8 clone, at 2130 lbs wet, without driver. Tires are a sticky Potenza 335-35-17 compound. I recently added active traction control (using the ABS wheel sensors on my Corvette uprights, front and rear), to modulate the ignition timing under wheel slip. The car is a street/track car, and I drive it aggressively (the logging data on my Electromotive TEC reads 0-60 MPH in about 2.9 to 3.0 seconds).
I've flogged the transaxle over the last year, and on occasions turned up the boost even a little higher than its dyno'd runs. I've never had any problems. In the past I used to break traction, which probably limited torque loading on the transaxle shafts; now with the traction control, wheel spin in minimized but still no groans from the transaxle. I have yet to add a spray bar, but probably will pull the transaxle this Spring and get it to Powerhaus in Boulder for the mod.
My comments probably don't resolve the debate, but I thought you'd like to know the Porsche 930 (at least, mine...) has held up admirably, and I suspect it will for years to come (fingers crossed)."

There's much more good info in there, too much to post all at once here.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Rennsport Systems on the whole transaxle line- in a nutshell:

901-series transmissions were used in the 911 from 65 until 71. The last two years' 901's were known as 911 gearboxes since they employed a slightly different case that permitted the new 225mm "Pull-type" clutch. 901's were also used in the 914/6.

These gearboxes work quite well for engines in the 2.0 litres to 2.4 litre sizes without significant modifications. We do recommend installing the aluminum intermediate plate in any 901 that will see any competition. This adds a good deal of strength to help support the shafts. For 2.7 litre engines and larger, we also recommend installing a cooler and pump. Race cars should also get a pressurized lubrication system that locates an oil jet at each gearset and the ring & pinion.

These transmissions can be regeared quite successfully for racing and street performance. Since 2nd gear is machined as part of the mainshaft, this entire part must be changed when replacing 2nd gear unless you use a 904 mainshaft. This special, racing part permits swapping any 904 2nd gear ratio without changing the shaft.

Pictured below is a modified and strengthened 901 transmission. Notice the aluminum intermediate plate that provides much better support to the main and countershafts under high torque loading

901trans.jpg (26057 bytes)

-915-

The 915 appeared in 1972 with a major upgrade in strength, compared to its predessor. The first ones didn't shift as well as the later ones due to some improvements in the shifter and syncro's. 915's were made with magnesium cases from 72 until 77. Some of them had aluminum final-drive cases in 77 before the entire gearcase was made from aluminum in 1978. 915's used 7:31 ring & pinions until 1975 when they switched to the stronger 8:31. These later ring & pinions are the preferred item for racing or high-horsepower applications and the later 915's had stronger differentials and mainshafts.

All Porsche transmissions use a very steep hypoid angle in the differential due to the necessity of close shaft spacing. This is a very highly stressed item and requires the use of a GL-5 Specification gear Lube. Since these gearboxes all use the Porsche-design balk ring syncromesh, they depend upon some friction for these brake-band type syncro's to work properly. The best gear lube for a 901-915-930 transmission is the superb Swepco 201 gear oil. Using a synthetic gear oil in these transmissions will result in higher syncro wear and stiffer shift quality.

There are currently more gear ratio choices for the 915 transmission than any other Porsche gearbox. Call us for a custom gearstack recommendation for your car based upon usage and rear tire sizes. A close-ratio transmission will add 50 HP to the performance potential of your Porsche.

As an example, here is an excellent and economical gear stack for a street-driven 911SC or Carrera 3.2 with an 8:31 and 25"-26" tire.

1st Gear- 11:35 (stock)

2nd Gear- 15:30

3rd Gear- 21:31

4th Gear- 24:27

5th Gear- 28:24 or 27:24

This is a very streetable gear stack that will make a big difference in acceleration!

-930-

The 930 transmissions used in the 3.0 litre Turbo, 3.3 litre Turbo and various 934's and 935's is a big, beefy 4-speed gearbox that was built withstand heavy torque loading and high power. Street versions can handle 326 lb-ft of torque and the racing version of this transmission, equipped with an oil pump and cooler, withstood the 625-750 HP of the 935 Group 5 racecars.

Stock Turbos' are geared with top speed and fuel mileage in mind, not for optimal acceleration so there are a few things that one can do to improve performance.

Changing the stock ring & pinion to a lower geared set will enhance acceleration and reduce top speed. Lowering 3rd and 4th gear will also really help since this also closes the large RPM gaps at each shift. Some Turbo owners opt to install a special, shortened version of the G-50/50 5-speed for a much better usable power curve. Porsche, starting in 1989, equipped the Turbo and the new C2 Turbo with this ultra-strong 5-speed transmission.

-G50: 5-speed & 6-speed-

Porsche began installing this improved transmission in the 3.2 Carrera beginning in 1987. This gearbox was designed to handle the increased torque of the 3.2 litre engine and to address complaints about difficult shifting. These transmissions, made by Getrag, use the Borg-Warner style syncromesh and have an input torque rating of 221 lb-ft. Variants of the G-50 5 speed were used until the introduction of the 993 which featured the 6-speed G-50.

Due to fact that Porsche has actively raced 911's since 1990 with the Carrera Cup cars and the RSR's, there is a good selection of racing ratios for these transmissions that allows a custom gearstack to be installed.

Since most of the OEM gearing was selected with fuel mileage in mind, there is lots of opportunity for performance improvements by regearing these cars. The strongest variant of this gearbox is the G-50/50, used in the 89-on 3.3 Turbo and C2 Turbo. The G-50/52 used in the C2 Turbo also featured an asymmetric Limited Slip Differential that had a 20% lockup on acceleration and 80% in braking to help limit trailing-throttle oversteer.

There are some gearing differences between the USA-spec G-50 and the ROW-versions. Installing the lower 2nd through 6th ratios from the Euro-spec gearbox is somewhat expensive but worthwhile when you are limited in engine enhancements due to emissions regulations. For example, in 5th gear, a USA-spec 993 was timed from 45 MPH to 75 MPH in 8.6 seconds while a Euro-spec 993 did this in 7.0 seconds. The engines are both rated at 282 HP. The G50/21 3rd-4th-5th-6th gearing is an excellent upgrade for any 993.

For racing, the G-50 has experienced some difficulties with ring & pinion failures. Rennsport Systems recommends installing a transmission cooler and pump when power levels reach the 350 HP level and above. Pressurized lubrication to the ring & pinion as well as the gearsets is also worthwhile under these stresses.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Thanks Formula88, hopefully it helps everyone out.

I need to take a break for awhile, but I should have more to post later.

One of the things I'd like to do is post lots of pics. If you have any pics of the transaxles or custom setups, post away!
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Ahh, one more for now.

Gear ratios and some comparisons:

930 ’76-‘88
1st 2.25 overall 9.50
2nd 1.30 overall 5.51
3rd 0.89 overall 3.77
4th 0.63 overall 2.64
final 4.22

G50/50/52 ’89-‘94
1st 3.15 overall 10.84
2nd 1.79 overall 6.16
3rd 1.27 overall 4.37
4th 0.97 overall 3.34
5th 0.76 overall 2.61
final 3.44

G64/51 ’95-’98
1st 3.82 overall 13.14
2nd 2.15 overall 7.40
3rd 1.56 overall 5.37
4th 1.21 overall 4.16
5th 0.97 overall 3.34
6th 0.75 overall 2.58
final 3.44

G96/50 ’01-present
1st 3.82 overall 13.14
2nd 2.06 overall 7.09
3rd 1.41 overall 4.85
4th 1.12 overall 3.85
5th 0.92 overall 3.16
6th 0.75 overall 2.55
final 3.44

GT3 street car G96/90 ’99-present
1st 3.82 overall 13.14
2nd 2.15 overall 7.40
3rd 1.56 overall 5.37
4th 1.21 overall 4.16
5th 0.97 overall 3.34
6th 0.82 overall 2.82
final 3.44

Chevrolet Corvette LS1 ’97-‘99
1st 2.66 overall 9.09
2nd 1.78 overall 6.09
3rd 1.30 overall 4.45
4th 1.00 overall 3.42
5th 0.74 overall 2.53
6th 0.50 overall 1.71
Final 3.42

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 ’91-’93
1st 2.68 overall 9.25
2nd 1.80 overall 6.21
3rd 1.31 overall 4.52
4th 1.00 overall 3.45
5th 0.75 overall 2.59
6th 0.50 overall 1.73
Final 3.45

Ford Mustang Cobra ’93-‘96
1st 3.35 overall 10.32
2nd 1.99 overall 6.13
3rd 1.33 overall 4.10
4th 1.00 overall 3.08
5th 0.68 overall 2.09
Final 3.08

Ford Mustang Saleen S351R 1996
1st 3.27 overall 11.61
2nd 1.99 overall 7.06
3rd 1.34 overall 4.76
4th 1.00 overall 3.55
5th 0.68 overall 2.41
final 3.55

Source:
http://www.lambolounge.com/...sion/ratio/index.asp

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Jeez, all this info and nobody cares?

I still plan on adding, but it's too late for now. G'night.
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Info is good. Keep up the good work.
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the info it is much appreciated ...I'll take the 930 gearing
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
a friend of mine used a early 1980's 915 trans-axle with a Chevy 327ci V-8 (about 340HP) in his Porsche 914 using a Kennedy adapter plate. It has been reliable for the past 6 years...

The car looks stock, except for the exhaust, and is hard to keep on the road...
front end gets a little funny at higher speeds.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IFLYR22:

a friend of mine used a early 1980's 915 trans-axle with a Chevy 327ci V-8 (about 340HP) in his Porsche 914 using a Kennedy adapter plate. It has been reliable for the past 6 years...

The car looks stock, except for the exhaust, and is hard to keep on the road...
front end gets a little funny at higher speeds.

sound like it has Fiero tendacies ..I had one but not with a v8 , it had a 911 flat six which was plenty of power and no, it wasn't a 914/6 orignally
just a clone
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
kudos for effort

good work
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

"The going price over the years is about $3K. If you see one that needs a rebuild, then you can get it for less. My car came with a 930 in it. I took it out to my frienly Porsche shop forman who told me that most of the trans with about 40K miles need rebuilding as the dog teeth get pretty worn. Syncros start to go about then as well. The case bearings need to be tested with the drop through test to see if they need replacing but that is pretty rare. Very difficult to change out. The case has to be heated and the bearing frozen and then pressed in. A typical rebuild will run about $1500, which is what he quoted me."

Am I understanding correctly that all 930 trannies need a $1500 rebuild around 40k miles? And is this just after the first 40k miles or every 40k? Does the G50 demand similar attention?
Darrelk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2007 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarrelkClick Here to visit Darrelk's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarrelkDirect Link to This Post
I have been seriously considering building (for the last 6 months) one of the Factory Five GTM cars which use any of the LS series motors combined with the G-50 series tranny. These transmissions have started to rise rapidly in price, must have a precision rebuild, and for a good matchup in gear ratios to the LS you should change the first gear and top gears and dial in bucks for an LSD unit. By the time I had California Motorsports (they build Renegades trannys) add it all up I was looking at $7000 to $10000. Gulp,... that's a lot of change to shove in a transmission especially since you can pick up crate LS2 for 5000 or so. Don't get me wrong these later Porsche transmissions are good but are you wanting to put that in your Fiero based car? I mean, Ryan (Sinister) does whole LS4 and auto tranny swaps starting at $9000. Seems like a better way to go.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timwdegner:
Am I understanding correctly that all 930 trannies need a $1500 rebuild around 40k miles? And is this just after the first 40k miles or every 40k? Does the G50 demand similar attention?

Sorry for the delay.
From what I understand, the synchros are the biggest issue there, and could use replacing around that time, but it does make a large difference in how much you're shifting (city vs. highway miles) as to how long they last. That would be every 40k miles (if you use that number), not just the first, though that doesn't mean the car will just cease to operate by any means.
I don't recall reading anything else to indicate the dog teeth wear that fast, but it could be true.
Remember, the man who said that is a Porsche shop Foreman. That may mean he knows what he's talking about, but that may also mean that he's trying to make more money.

The G50's Synchros are supposed to be much better than the 930's, but the ring and pinion are much weaker among other things so they won't handle quite the power. I would guess a better synchro design would yield better shifting as well as longer life (like almost any other tranny).

As for me, 40k would last a long time with the intended use because I wouldn't drive it daily.

Darrelk,
That's another benefit of the '930 over the G50. Cost. However, on a budget you could knock off a lot of that price if you don't optimize gear ratios and the like. LSD's are quite nice, but definitely not a necessity on a mid engine car. Look at Fieros and how well they can perform without them.
If you want to go with an auto, there are many more choices that will work well. These are for those who want full control.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock