Stripped T-50 by davidwhatley
Started on: 09-22-2007 02:43 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: josef644 on 09-23-2007 03:46 PM
davidwhatley

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davidwhatleyClick Here to Email davidwhatleySend a Private Message to davidwhatleyDirect Link to This Post
Doing a brake job on the rear of an 87 and the bottom T50 for the caliper is stripped. What to do? If I remove the roter will the caliper come off also? At least then I can get to it.
HELP
David
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jweisman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jweismanClick Here to Email jweismanSend a Private Message to jweismanDirect Link to This Post
I had a stripped one on my car, I just used a pair of vise grips to remove it..
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 272
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageClick Here to Email jetmanSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jweisman:

I had a stripped one on my car, I just used a pair of vise grips to remove it..

That'll work.
You can also use an 8-inch minature pipe wrench, you know the type, grips tighter as you apply torque.

davidwhatley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davidwhatleyClick Here to Email davidwhatleySend a Private Message to davidwhatleyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestion, bu tI cant get to it, this is the one on the bottom, rear brakes. Or at least I dont think I can, will look tonight after church. Other suggestions?
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerClick Here to Email jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Look at your T50 socket and make sure it's still in good condition. If not, get a new one and while you're at it, get a small tube of valve grinding/lapping compound. Permatex makes it . Put the grinding compound in the T50 hole in the caliper bolt. Insert the socket. You'll be surprised how tight it grips. Works on allen headed fastners as well. Used to have to do it all the time on corroded allen headed bolts on boats.

John Stricker

Originally posted by davidwhatley:

Thanks for the suggestion, bu tI cant get to it, this is the one on the bottom, rear brakes. Or at least I dont think I can, will look tonight after church. Other suggestions?

fieroluv

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroluvClick Here to Email fieroluvSend a Private Message to fieroluvDirect Link to This Post
I had the exact same problem on mine. The Star was no longer a star on my bolt it was totally round. I couldn't get it with a pipe wrench or vice grips.

What I had to do was to cut my caliper with a cut off tool. In other words break that corner of my caliper off in order to remove the bolt. So now I need to buy another caliper. If you need a picture of the caliper I can probably take one tomorrow for you.
William Federle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for William FederleClick Here to Email William FederleSend a Private Message to William FederleDirect Link to This Post
The same thing happened on my 1984 Fiero - on both sides. I got these things from Sears. They are hexagonal on the outside, and have several sharp edges on the inside. There are several different sizes in a kit. Sometimes you have to tap them on the OD of the bolt you're trying to take off. Then get a big breaker bar and a socket that fits and break the bolt loose. Copious amounts of PB Blaster help also. Then when installing a new bolt, use anti-sieze. Some of it will probably wash out if you drive in the rain, but hopefuly it will help when you need to take your caliper off the next time.

------------------

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2007 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanClick Here to Email uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Tight tight vise grip should remove,I would use large vise grips and BFH to knock loose then reapply vise grip to remove. next!! last resort,,.hope you can remove with out resort to this..Cheapest method is to drill thru bolt head,if possible,, yes it will mess up the caliper but you will still be able to use it,,your drill bit should be same size as bolt or slightly bigger..then reverse drill and drill into bolt with smaller drill to help loosen.go from there.also work around bolt head with punch to loosen first you might get lucky,these are normally tight,,,bolts in rear a female dog to get to with drill and bit,unless you remove from car..if job turns into real bear ,, putting ice bag on caliper will give small assist in removal(don,t laugh) it works, the caliper will cool & retract before the bolt..my centavo & hryinias worth

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 09-23-2007).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
If you have a welder, just weld a nut or short bolt to the top of the torx bolt and use a wrench to take it out.
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunClick Here to Email CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post

Had the same thing happen to me recently on my 86GT. Bottom T50, right rear caliper. Tried the welding idea but did not work. Guess is was the difference in the metals (T-50 tool and caliper hold down bolt). Tried an easier method, removed the rubber booth on the bolt, used a small pipe wrench. I had also tried using a vice grip but could not get enough bit. The small pipe wrench worked for me.

Mike
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Click Here to Email josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Yep cut the rubber cover off of the bolt then you have many different ways to attack this bad bolt.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock