Cut coils- Still 4x4- Pics by sjmaye
Started on: 09-22-2007 01:29 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: fierosound on 09-26-2007 09:05 AM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
While rebuilding the front end I cut a single coil off the bottom of each front coil spring. I left the UCA and LCA bushing bolts loose until after loading them and I still have a 4x4. I made sure the ends of the coils fit in the groove of the LCA. Can not figure it out.

Ideas?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
you have to drive on it for a few days and it will go down alittle more
Tumble weed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tumble weedSend a Private Message to Tumble weedDirect Link to This Post
did you cut the bumpstops?
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobrian:

I still have the LCA and UCA bolts partially slack. Should I just drive around a bit and watch for it to go down?

Originally posted by Tumble weed:

did you cut the bumpstops?

Yep, sure did.

88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
hmmm looks like were in the same boat, i havent cut mine but i really want to.

at least your front end isnt that high lol. (stock 2.8 auto)

- seems me n you both have some seriously rare fieros, yours is 253 made?? mines 262.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobrian:

I agree.you need to drive it (the bushings are dry).

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The 88s are notorious for riding high in the front. Four fingers is about normal for stock height. One coil cut is giving you it looks like 3 fingers. It might settle a little bit more, but if you go any lower on cut springs you run the risk of rubbing on big bumps.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
On the 88, it's possible to get the front spring in "out of place" at the top.
I had a similar issue with mine. Had to take it apart again.

Both of my cars have had one coil cut from each front spring.
It did take a while for the springs to settle, but they weren't that high.

This pic was taken just a few days after the springs were cut.

This pic was taken almost a year after the springs were cut.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-22-2007).]

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I heeded your previous warning and made sure the tops and bottoms of the springs were properly seated. Looking at your pics, raydar, I think mine looks like yours did right after cutting. It just looks a bit worse as my color is brighter and it highlights the dark area between the tire and the yellow fender. Hopefully it will settle out like yours did.

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 09-22-2007).]

SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
225/45/17 with i full coil of the back and two full coils off the front (one of top and one off bottom) i didnt cut anything else or do anythign else at all, just hacked off the coils... I wanted a little rake (the rear is about 1.5"-2" higher then the front) to mine so i didnt drop the rear too much. I was also trying to keep the front a little up their because i want to get a "closed mouth" chin spoiler from fierowarehouse.com someday...

YEAH, the inner wheel wells are out as i was planning to paint the car. Plus i decided to redo them flat black, i think they look pretty good on the car. Also i do need to do something about the rotors, i think i will get some of those dealios that go on behind the rims to hide it all... the 11.25" brakes looked good when new but of course they get rusty quick...

[This message has been edited by SLOWnSTEADY (edited 09-22-2007).]

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Strange- All the pics in my original post above are now gone. At least that is what I am seeing in my browser. Why would that be?
PFF
System Bot
88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
you probly didnt copy and paste..you may have lost your originals to the thread.... id save them from the thread and put them back on your browser
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88 Silver Formula:

you probly didnt copy and paste..you may have lost your originals to the thread.... id save them from the thread and put them back on your browser

I used PIP to post them. I see they are now back up there. Strange.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
my lowering balljoints in the front SLAMMED my front end without hurting my performance at all, i LOVE them.

It worked out that the engine swap dropped the back down alot for me already, so the front leveled out nicely.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I have an old 1986 Plain Jane notchback 2.5 stick shift. If I take one coil off of each spring how much lower will it ride?

Thanks
Joe Crawford
Texas
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I have an old 1986 Plain Jane notchback 2.5 stick shift. If I take one coil off of each spring how much lower will it ride?

Thanks
Joe Crawford
Texas

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
sjmaye,
Ya got the quote, but forgot the mesage
Joe
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

sjmaye,
Ya got the quote, but forgot the mesage
Joe

doh! I meant to say based on my experience you can't tell how much cutting one coil would lower the car. Others have claimed ~1" lower.

Thanks, Joe!

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 09-24-2007).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Thanks
Joe Crawford
Texas

Joe.
With the full weight of the car on the wheels, look at the distance between one coil and the next. That's approximately how much it will drop.
Actually, I believe it won't be quite that much, as the spring rate will increase a bit due to the reduced number of coils. The remaining coils will tend to sit just a little further apart, for the same load.
If I'm wrong, I'm sure that somebody will speak up. They have never been shy, in the past.

If your end coil runs back into the next coil (spring is flat on the end) then cutting that coil off will have less of an effect.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-24-2007).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Ok you cut one layer off of it, so that the new "end" is about the same spot that it was before the cut? Anything else I need to know before I ruin 4 good springs?

Thanks for the info guys

Joe Crawford
Texas

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-24-2007).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Ok you cut one layer off of it, so that the new "end" is about the same spot that it was before the cut? Anything else I need to know before I ruin 4 good springs?

Thanks for the info guys

Joe Crawford
Texas

Don't use a torch. Or anyting else that will transfer a lot of heat into the wire. It will take the temper out of the spring.
I used a cutoff wheel to cut mine.

PFF
System Bot
Dougie Murder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderDirect Link to This Post
I may be wrong but doesnt cutting the coils mess up your suspension??

I have a couple buddies who did that to their cars and now the front wheels sit like this ---> // \\

It sucks for them cuz the tires dont sit on the ground properly and they just wear out the inside treads. Not to mention that it must cause other componets to wear quicker.

Im talking about a civic and an integra....do Fiero's have a stronger suspension design?

Obviously ppl have done this. Has it caused any problems?

------------------
Dougie Murder
85 Fiero GT
Romeoliquorstore.com
Myspace

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dougie Murder:

I have a couple buddies who did that to their cars and now the front wheels sit like this ---> // \\

It sucks for them cuz the tires dont sit on the ground properly and they just wear out the inside treads. Not to mention that it must cause other componets to wear quicker.

Im talking about a civic and an integra....do Fiero's have a stronger suspension design?

Obviously ppl have done this. Has it caused any problems?

I can't understand how cutting the springs on a Fiero could do this, mechanically. The orientation of the wheel is dictated by the upper & lower control arms and spindle.
InaneCathode

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InaneCathodeSend a Private Message to InaneCathodeDirect Link to This Post
Because they are unequal length swing arms is why they sit all cocked up after you're done 'lowering' it.
I seriously doubt if someone doesn't have the time or energy to get a lowering kit they could possibly be bothered with getting the car properly aligned with an alignment kit.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2007 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dougie Murder:

Just need a 4-wheel alignment afterwards to get everything adjusted back to spec. You'll likely need the MOOG "problem solver" upper ball joints for the front with the slotted mounting holes for greater adjustment range.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-26-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay