Anyone had luck with MSD coils? by The Funkmaster
Started on: 09-21-2007 01:44 AM
Replies: 31
Last post by: 88 Silver Formula on 09-24-2007 06:21 PM
The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Hey there.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had luck with MSD coils. I'm going to be upgrading my ignition soon, and that's one item I haven't contemplated yet, I just haven't been able to put in the research time. I'll be using the digital 6+ box from them, they do have info regarding their experience with a particular coil setup, but I'm just looking for outside opinions.

Actually, any comments about MSD/products in general would be great. I've never used their products before.

Thanks in advance

Steve

------------------

Gold 1986 GT 2.9L, Trueleo Intake/Headers, Getrag 5

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I have a MSD coil that has been great so far. A few people told me that it would probably give me problems because of the stock ignition module but then someone else pointed out that the coil was secondary to the ignition module and should have no effect on it. As I say it seems to make my car run better and it hasn`t skipped a beat since I put it in.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I've been using the MSD coil for a long time now. Also used a MSD 6 until it cooked....the ignition box did NOTHING for me. with it & without it - no difference. But, the coil is an improvement over stock.
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
I have used MSD coils in the past on many different vehicles. I loved them, and they worked great. I am also a big fan of the MSD 6AL box. I noticed not only an improvement on how the engine ran but also it's performance. The rev-limiter on the 6AL box is also a must if you do any kind of racing. Again can't say enough about their products. BTW if you cook one of their boxes you can send it back for repair. I hear it's only like $30.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_Stickman2:

I have used MSD coils in the past on many different vehicles. I loved them, and they worked great. I am also a big fan of the MSD 6AL box. I noticed not only an improvement on how the engine ran but also it's performance. The rev-limiter on the 6AL box is also a must if you do any kind of racing. Again can't say enough about their products. BTW if you cook one of their boxes you can send it back for repair. I hear it's only like $30.

$30 eh? sounds good. but, like I said - the box dont do anything for my setup - stock compression, 5k shift point - so I never worried about it.
but, since I am adding a turbo this winter, maybe I'll be putting it back, since I will be having denser fuel/air mix & 6k shift point.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Have had great luck w MSD coils. Seen many problems w Accel. Getting good service from the MSD -6A boxes but they only really help in the ipper RPM rane and w special applications like w N2O or with turbocharging.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2007 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
MSD coil has good reputation unlike some others! you will recieve little or probably no performance increase but possible smoother efficient engine..( I realize this statement is at odds with itself) and future modifications will benefit from this coil,, use stock L electrode spark plugs..$1.00 to $2.00.. to get best from higher voltage coil "index plugs",, the coil and index of plugs will give increase of efficient operation,, you can use tach reading to see if this coil is better,dont forget if you have old wires to check at nite for wire leaking light show
fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
What about the MSD coil for 87-88 dukes, any luck or experience there?

------------------
If you can't be good, be good at it.

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
MSD yes, Accel........................not ever again.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2007 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
The coil is a separate part in the system every part works in tandem with other parts but if a coil is good on a V 6 it would be of same value to duke,, Im not going to knock the other coil but will say previous post are VERY correct... the extra 10,000 volts provide more efficient engine operation.. this coil will benefit your system.. there have been many test of this coil in performance magazines over the years (popular rodding ,hot rod) normally some headers or combination of performance parts was being tested and this coil assisted tested parts in dyno results being higher, efficiency increase is what you get no seat buttocks dyno results unless you had previous problem an easy modification that AIDS future or present modifications.no real improvement unless you have engine that will easily go to 6000 rpm I m going to buy one
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The coil is a good hi output coil, but, you are paying in part for their marketing. There are other coils out there just as hot. I had the MSD coil on for a while, but I swapped in another HO coil with no apparent difference at all.

The MSD box is another story. If they go south, you can't analyze them. I had one that malfunctioned in the under 2000 rpm and caused the car to buck and stall just like vapour lock. The best mechanical minds I had available all told me the same thing. "The problem won't be your MSD box" HAH.!! I spent alot of money trying to cure non -existing vapour lock in the engine. Out of desperation, I pulled the MSD box, and VOILA! no more problem....instantly. The box had apparently developed bad circuit board connections, likely due to vibration, and could not be analyzed.

Needlless to say, I won't be getting a MSD box any time soon. In my book, the only reason you would need a box is if you are building a race/drag machine and are anticipating revving the living daylights out of the engine in competition. Other than that, a street machine just doesn't need one and won't perform any better with one.

Just my .02

Arn
PFF
System Bot
luvin_my_fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvin_my_fieroClick Here to visit luvin_my_fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to luvin_my_fieroDirect Link to This Post
i have had a MSD coil on mine for two yrs and it works fine, not sure about a power difference but i'm sure it burns the mix better. i have not had ign module failures either. as for the box, i had one in my vette and after the motor was dyno tuned(engine dyno not chassis) i put the motor back in and when i was around 4500rpm it had a slight miss but it still kept pulling then went away around 5600. i changed plugs and wires and it still did it. after talking with a bunch of people some who even suggested i had a weak valve spring(UGH!) i disconnected my msd 6al box and poof!! miss gone!! i had a stand alone msd dist but since the box was there i used it when i put the motor back in...well needless to say its sittin on the bench collecting dust now. was thinkin about makin an ash tray out of it!! now just like any other car tip..take it with a grain of salt. everyone i talked to said they never heard of that happening with an msd box so maybe im cursed!! haha

------------------
Keith
Topsail Beach,NC
86&87 Fiero GT
86&96 Corvette
04 Harley Davidson Softail
73 Lotus Europa Twin Cam
86 Lotus Turbo Esprit

"He who dies with the most toys wins!!!"

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input fellas. Appreciate it!
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Who makes a good highoutput V6 coil that I am not paying for the name on? mine is 19 years old, and I am modding the motor on the whole and I want a better one.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I have a full MSD setup on my 86GT and haven't had any problems and found their tech support to be excellent when doing my install.
Note: I would gues that half or more of those that have had problems with MSD coils (and stock coils) have mis-diagnosed the problem to be the coil, when in fact the problem was with corroded connectors! Changing a coil tends to wipe some corrosion off and thus the new coil seems to have cured the problem, for a while anyway. It's not a bad idea to replace ignition connectors, they are what, 20+ yars old!

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

James Bondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James BondoSend a Private Message to James BondoDirect Link to This Post
| used to run an MSD coil coupled a Crane Hi6s CD ignition box. The CD box was small and easy to install. It also improved the idle and low end driveability.
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
all I can say is stay away from the accel coil. Mine kept intermittently failing on the ignition module side. Left me stranded several times (swpaping modules) until I swapped coils.
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
All my MSD coils (3) seemed to last a whole 6 months then die. My stock modules would fail shortly after. Ever since I ran my stock coil the module has been good and the coil has too. That was about a year ago. So I steer clear of them.
ktthecarguy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if they make a coil for the '84 duke? Looks like the connectors are different.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I've had an MSD coil in my 84 for almost two years now (had to add the later-year connectors), and when I first installed it there seemed to be a small performance increase in the upper rpm range. Of course the one I was replacing was the original.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I've had an MSD coil in my Formula for years. Probably 4 years or so.
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ktthecarguy:

Does anyone know if they make a coil for the '84 duke? Looks like the connectors are different.

Here's the info on the install I posted back when I put it in:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-068532.html
ktthecarguy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info RWDPLZ. I will give it a try sometime.
fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
RWDPLZ- do you know if the DIS system on the later dukes allows for an MSD coil to be installed? Are those connectors you switched to put it on your 84 designed to fit an 87-88?

------------------

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
The 87 and 88 dukes are a whole 'nother animal completely, infact I don't think they share any ignition components with the earlier cars, except maybe the spark plugs? I think the 8224 coils would be the correct ones for the DIS engine (you need two coils on the DIS duke), but I'm not sure.

http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blaster_9_8224.htm
fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
word, man. thanks for the link. Anybody notice that Autozone has started selling MSD stuff in store?

------------------

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodeletre:

word, man. thanks for the link. Anybody notice that Autozone has started selling MSD stuff in store?

Yes AutoZone has been selling MSD ignition stuff for at least a couple of years but you usually needed to special order it up, at least in my case which was about 3 years ago. It was best if you knew the exact part numbers prior to visiting the store as they didn't have Fiero stuff updated in their computers. For example, you need to order a MSD cap & rotor for the 4.3 engine as it is the same as the 2.8 but they didn't have Fiero listed.

Both my V-6 Fieros have MSD ignition coils, good product.

Customer service was excellent when a coil failed, talked to a live person, complete free replacement under warranty, fast service and delivery.
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
BTW I am guessing that most of you are using the stock looking coil from MSD. I have an adapter to plug into the wiring harness that simply has 2 wires coming out of it so can use the cylinder style coil which may have more juice.
88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
hi all, i have gone through 6 coils in the last 2 years, 4 of them were MSD, the MSD lasted anywhere from 1 day (seriously) to 3 months, i bought an accel ignition modual...it lasted no kidding 15 minits..left me stranded, since ive been using a delco coil and delco modual, i still have my last MSD coil i want to put it back on because there IS evident power increse with the MSD coil...but i dont know if its blown or if something else went out at the time i replaced it...the coils on the V6 is kinda a pita to replace... especially when its hot!, on another note im curently using a MSD 6A box, have been for 4 years, i cant tell you how many times the car broke down and i wanted to blaim the box...so far after at least 20 break downs from this and that the box has been spared, it didnt cause any of it even tho i was quick to judge it, i admit everytime i broke down id pop the deck and stare right at that box!...but its been good. ... this is the MSD im still holding on to, debating rather if i want to give it another run or not, at night you can see it sparking through the case... as show in this pic...so i thought it was bad.....but my curent coil does that from brand new..its its been working for over a year now so i dont know? what do you think?

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
If you own a later Duke with the DIS system, those coils have been proven to be as hot as you'll ever need. Replacing the DIS coils will not provide a performance increase.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88 Silver Formula:

hi all, i have gone through 6 coils in the last 2 years, 4 of them were MSD, the MSD lasted anywhere from 1 day (seriously) to 3 months, i bought an accel ignition modual...it lasted no kidding 15 minits..left me stranded, since ive been using a delco coil and delco modual, i still have my last MSD coil i want to put it back on because there IS evident power increse with the MSD coil...but i dont know if its blown or if something else went out at the time i replaced it...the coils on the V6 is kinda a pita to replace... especially when its hot!, on another note im curently using a MSD 6A box, have been for 4 years, i cant tell you how many times the car broke down and i wanted to blaim the box...so far after at least 20 break downs from this and that the box has been spared, it didnt cause any of it even tho i was quick to judge it, i admit everytime i broke down id pop the deck and stare right at that box!...but its been good. ... this is the MSD im still holding on to, debating rather if i want to give it another run or not, at night you can see it sparking through the case... as show in this pic...so i thought it was bad.....but my curent coil does that from brand new..its its been working for over a year now so i dont know? what do you think?

My 6A box cost me a module also. I'd hazard a guess that 6 coils in 2 years is way out of wack and that your box is causing it. I've never seen a car go through 6 coils in 2 years.

Just a thought.

Arn

PFF
System Bot
88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
well since ive installed stock ac delco coil and modual ive had no problems in over a year..., i also replaced all of the ignition wires and the dist/pick up coil, so i know corroded wires arent the cause.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock