84 2.5 failed emissions by bmaxbox
Started on: 09-17-2007 11:21 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: bmaxbox on 10-15-2007 04:54 PM
bmaxbox

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
So help me out here.
84 2.5 auto.
new head.
New exhaust (exhaust + cat+tip)(welded and clamped)
all new sensors (temp)
fuel filter and air filter=new
battery=new
new oil+filter

The thing that failed was "NOx"
i was allowed 13** and got 31**

I'm going to change the o2 sensor and the EGR. (soon)
I'm also going to seafoam it through a vacuum hose so that my intake can clean itself out.

everything else went by good.

What else do you think i should do?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
aconesa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aconesaSend a Private Message to aconesaDirect Link to This Post
the EGR valve should solve your NOx issue.

bmaxbox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
sweet, Lets hope.
Anyone else?
prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
EGR will help your NOx failure, but the O2 has no control over NOx
bmaxbox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever used the one from autozone?
http://www.autozone.com/R,A...artProductDetail.htm
Part # EGR126

Its cheaper than fierostore. And a gasket is only $2.
SpideR W

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpideR WSend a Private Message to SpideR WDirect Link to This Post
FYI, that link doesn't seem to work...

If the one you are looking at is one of the "universal" EGR valves, where you fit a specific washer in the valve based on which engine you have, I'd stay away. Back when I had my '86 Duke, I used one of those, and while it worked and got me though inspection, it also gave me poor drivability. I had an annoying bucking at light throttle on the highway, and it seemed to stumble a bit under light throttle accel.

You don't specifically have to get the valve from the Fiero store, but the one they sell is a genuine AC Delco replacement, which is the correct model for our cars. After I gained the problems I just mentioned (when I got the car, the EGR was disabled, and those problems started as soon as I put the universal valve on), I swapped the universal valve for the AC Delco unit from the Fiero store, and those issues disappeared. My highway fuel milage even improved a bit as well!

So the long and the short: Stay away from universal EGR valves, and stick with AC Delco!

------------------
'87 GT, 5 Speed, Loaded. Resto Project

'04 Impulse Blue GTO Auto (Daily Driver)

bmaxbox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if you saw. but if the link didn't work, i put a part # under it. I don't think it is a universal. I'll get this next check. Autozone seems so be my favorite place to go. at least i can be the one to tell you if it works well or not.
Do you guys think i should replace anything else?
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Didn't I say EGR? Yeah, I know I'm good. You should still drop the $20 and toss in a new O2 anyways, it can't hurt.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

Mr.PBody

3172 posts
Member since Oct 2006
Did you try cleaning out the current one? Might be worth trying

http://www.autopartswarehou...&part_name=egr_valve

I checked them, Autozone, and Advance auto and your in the $55-$90 range, I'd try cleaning out the current one.
jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
I'll agree on the Fiero store genuine AC Delco replacement EGR valve, my Duke is running like a champ. Just a couple more dollars and I got the exact AC Delco factory EGR and I get to support the Fiero Store which helps us keep our little cars running. I figured that the EGR is such a critical part of the drivability, performance and emissions, why not just get the official part and be done with it.

Did you mention changing out the O2 sensor?
bmaxbox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
I'll most likely go with the autozone egr. I'll post back when i do it.
PFF
System Bot
jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmaxbox:

I'll most likely go with the autozone egr. I'll post back when i do it.

Pick up an extra gasket while you're at it. Chase the threads and use new bolts with a bit of anti-sieze and you'll be able to finger tighten them all the way down. I found that a 13MM distributor wrench was perfect for the tight fit around the bolts and won't strip the head.

Good luck with the emissions testing.
ly41181

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2007 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post
I bought these to help with mine:

bmaxbox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
I just installed the EGR from auto zone. It went super quick and bolts were easy. (i put anti seize in them last time) I used a wrench and it only took about 10 minutes to do the whole thing. including taking the aircleaner off and putting everything back on. In a week or so I'll go back to get my emissions test. And see how it goes.
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2007 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
I put one of those universal EGR valves on my 88 duke, and it passed emissions with flying colors (after failing on NO the first time), and it runs just fine.
bmaxbox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2007 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmaxboxSend a Private Message to bmaxboxDirect Link to This Post
Passed!!! I love autozone.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock