Need new engine! by H-Dogg
Started on: 09-15-2007 12:14 AM
Replies: 28
Last post by: prostreet505 on 09-17-2007 11:09 PM
H-Dogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for H-DoggSend a Private Message to H-DoggDirect Link to This Post
My 4 cyl engine in my fiero started knocking so I was hoping to put in a new engine! I don't know what's all out there and want something very cheap and has good gas mileage. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

New and Cheap probably don't go together. Do you mean new to you or new as in zero miles? Also, how cheap? How good are you with tools, fabrication, shop space, etc? Is that all you want is good gas mileage like in a daily driver?

There are many, many possibilities depending on what you are looking for from your car. Tell us a little more and I bet you will get plenty of feedback. (You will get lots of suggestions, that's why I asked questions instead of firing off an answer)
H-Dogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for H-DoggSend a Private Message to H-DoggDirect Link to This Post
I don't care if it's used, and good gas mileage as in a dailly driver. I love the fiero but I just need it up and running quickly/cheaply since most of my money is going into rebuilding my supra! I've never fabricated anything before but I've got decent work space.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by H-Dogg:

I don't care if it's used, and good gas mileage as in a dailly driver. I love the fiero but I just need it up and running quickly/cheaply since most of my money is going into rebuilding my supra! I've never fabricated anything before but I've got decent work space.

Quickly/cheaply I understand. Go to the junkyard and get a VIN R Duke. It's gonna have high miles but it's the quickest/cheapest route to go. The u-pull-it yards up here in Detroit have several Dukes that would be an easy drop in. What year is your car? There were some differences between 84 and 88.
H-Dogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for H-DoggSend a Private Message to H-DoggDirect Link to This Post
My fiero is an 87. And what exactly is a Duke?

[This message has been edited by H-Dogg (edited 09-15-2007).]

86fiero-se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fiero-seSend a Private Message to 86fiero-seDirect Link to This Post
thats what the name of your engine is in your fiero 2.5 litre Iron Duke
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

My fiero is an 87. And what exactly is a Duke?

The "Duke" or "Iron Duke" is a nickname often used to refer to the 2.5-liter, 4-cylinder base engine of Fieros.

H-Dogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for H-DoggSend a Private Message to H-DoggDirect Link to This Post
I was always under the impression that it was a very unreliable engine!
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
Fair-to-middlin' reliability (when new); pretty shaky now. You are stuck with about 95 hp with this motor, it is too weak for most performance modifications to be used. Your best bet is an engine swap. Look at the dozens of swap threads, pretty much any engine swap from quad-4 to LSx is possible (there was a thread about a diesel engine swap!). The 3.8 SC is about the most popular right now, but the Caddy 4.9 has a lot of fans as well. These swaps usually include swapping over the transmission that came with the engine. The only limiting factors are budget, workspace, experience level, and time (biggest factor is usually budget). GOOD LUCK!

[This message has been edited by Doc John (edited 09-17-2007).]

H-Dogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for H-DoggSend a Private Message to H-DoggDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone think that it would be possible to put in the 7MGE from an 89 supra cuz I have one laying around that just needs a new HG! I know I'd have to use a different tranny than whats made for it, do any of you think that's possible?
PFF
System Bot
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayDirect Link to This Post
If that engine is an inline 6 you will have a hard time fitting it back there and the spacer to adapt a transmission to the engine is only going to hurt.

Chris
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
Is the 7MGE an in-line engine? I seem to recall that it was a straight six. Probably not enough room in the Fiero engine bay from side-to-side, but it might be worth measuring. You would need to do a bit of engineering to mount a transaxle to this engine. Check the length before investing too much research into this swap.

bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Quickly and cheap. Dont even consider a motor that has never been done.
Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2007 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
A supra motor will require a lot of fabrication/wiring/trunk modification, which equals a lot of time and money. Your fastest and cheapest bet is getting another 2.5L and swapping it in. everything will be direct plug and play, could probably be done in a weekend if not a day, depending on skill and how many helping hands you can get. Your next best bet would be getting a 2.8L V6 and trans and wiring harness from a V6 Fiero and swapping that in.

What part of the world do you hail from? maybe someone close will have a used setup they can sell to you for a good deal. This forum is full of awesome people, and i've read threads about folks traveliing lots of hours to lend a helping hand.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Disillusion:

A supra motor will require a lot of fabrication/wiring/trunk modification, which equals a lot of time and money. Your fastest and cheapest bet is getting another 2.5L and swapping it in. everything will be direct plug and play, could probably be done in a weekend if not a day, depending on skill and how many helping hands you can get. Your next best bet would be getting a 2.8L V6 and trans and wiring harness from a V6 Fiero and swapping that in.

I agree.

Incidentally, welcome to Pennock's Fiero Forum!
H-Dogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for H-DoggSend a Private Message to H-DoggDirect Link to This Post
I'm in Watertown WI, we used to hold the record for the most bars and churches per square mile!
H-Dogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for H-DoggSend a Private Message to H-DoggDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't I just weld the A frame that the engine mount to into the engine compartment than get a tranny to hook up?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
You can do anything if you have the time and money. It won't be cheap and quick though. And that is only if it's not too long. Then you will need to figure out the exhaust. Then the wiring and ECM, etc. It would be an interesting build to watch.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 09-17-2007).]

H-Dogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for H-DoggSend a Private Message to H-DoggDirect Link to This Post
I'm just wondering what people think! And how hard do any of you think it would be to try and fit the fiero tranny onto the 7M supra engine?
bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Just like Hudini said

Originally posted by Hudini:

You can do anything if you have the time and money. It won't be cheap and quick though.

What do people think? Honestly I dont see it happening since this was said

I love the fiero but I just need it up and running quickly/cheaply since most of my money is going into rebuilding my supra! I've never fabricated anything before but I've got decent work space.

But if this gets you more motivated to do so than take lots of pics and start a build thread.

I started two build threads, One with a 4.3l vortec (never completed and $ spent)
Another with a 4.5l V-8 and 4t60 (never completed and more $ spent)
I came to the realization that I didn't have the experiance or facilities to do such a swap and bought a Fiero with a swap already done.
I'm not trying to knock you down but if you dont have the know how or experiance you may want to save some money and buy a completed swap.

Just speaking from experiance

[This message has been edited by bonzo (edited 09-17-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

I'm just wondering what people think! And how hard do any of you think it would be to try and fit the fiero tranny onto the 7M supra engine?

Based on your question above, I think you may need to seriously reassess your previously stated objectives below, because where you're headed with your current thinking sounds a l-o-n-g way away from where you were:

I just need it up and running quickly/cheaply.

You get to change your mind, of course, but after you've asked the people on this forum how to get your Fiero "running quickly/cheaply," I think the top-of-mind answers you receive likely will not be "try and fit the Fiero tranny onto the 7M Supra engine."

Maybe some new objectives other than "quickly/cheaply" are in order?

In any event, good luck with your project!

H-Dogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for H-DoggSend a Private Message to H-DoggDirect Link to This Post
I'm a seventeen year old with dreams, I must sound like a complete idiot! I measured the engine and everything, it's not gonna fit and I know I don't know how to make it fit...lol I'll figure something out
86FieroCentPa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroCentPaSend a Private Message to 86FieroCentPaDirect Link to This Post
Take it from a fellow 17yr old. Espcially if you're workin on a supra you're just gonna want to put another duke in, they aren't that unreliable as ecno engines, just they tend to grenade when treated like performance machines. If you dont mind throwing some money and time into it the stock 2.8V6 will net you some power gains. If you want a bit more, and throw some more cash at it you can get a camaro v6, same engine as the 2.8, just bigger. But the problem there is that you'll need a lot of parts from the Fiero V6 to make it work easily. But like the guys said. If You have the dedication, and mostly the money, you can do anything to this car

[This message has been edited by 86FieroCentPa (edited 09-17-2007).]

88 Silver Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Silver FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 Silver FormulaDirect Link to This Post
your best bet is to just drop in another duke, thats cheap and easy...you didnt say you wanted it to last forever lol

next bet is to do a 3.4 from a camaro, this can be done 2 ways, 1. swap ecm and wireing and whole engine, 2. use the fiero 2.8 v6 intake manifolds and...well **** you sitll have wireing cause you have a 4 banger......... swap another 4 banger or sell it or fix the one thats in it.. bottem line

[This message has been edited by 88 Silver Formula (edited 09-17-2007).]

prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
If you need a 2.5 engine to get you up and running quick, I just happen to have one with 4000 miles on it. It was just rebuilt before I did my V8 conversion. I still have the papers for it too. You are welcome to it for $200.00 if you want it. I might even be able to give you a hand on the installation. You are pretty close to me also.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by prostreet505:

If you need a 2.5 engine to get you up and running quick, I just happen to have one with 4000 miles on it. It was just rebuilt before I did my V8 conversion. I still have the papers for it too. You are welcome to it for $200.00 if you want it. I might even be able to give you a hand on the installation. You are pretty close to me also.

There's a great deal. I would take it while it lasts.
H-Dogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for H-DoggSend a Private Message to H-DoggDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'll take it! Save myself the trouble and money. When is a good time for me to come by and pick it up?
prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
Any time is okay, I only work 2 blocks from my house. I'll pm you my phone number and you can give me a call to set it up.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock