Isuzu 5-speed strengths? by phr1sk37
Started on: 09-12-2007 01:46 AM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Raydar on 09-14-2007 07:04 PM
phr1sk37

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phr1sk37Send a Private Message to phr1sk37Direct Link to This Post
Hi folks,

Me again - still trying to figure this all out in terms of what to get
I was curious as to if the Isuzu 5-speed would hold up with the 3.4L V6? No turbo / supercharger. Just N/A 3.4L as I see a few people on the forum have this motor in their Fiero.

Also I assume all the 1988 Notchbacks are the Isuzu 5-speed (if manual)?

Yes I am still thinking about the 1986 GT that isnt running right now but electrical issues are my worst enemy hah ha.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Isuzu trans came with the 4cyl only. Yup, they'd hold to a 3.4pr no problemo.
phr1sk37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phr1sk37Send a Private Message to phr1sk37Direct Link to This Post
No problem? wowerz.
OK thank you kindly!
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
Don't pop the clutch and try to leave rubber. The Isuzu transmission isn't as strong as the Getrag.
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
Huummm. I've heard of many people blowing them behind 2.8s and the like. 2nd gear is the weak part of that trans, so be kind on the 1-2 shift. that being said, I have one behind a Northstar and have had no problems, but I drive it like _I_ own it

Russ544
phr1sk37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phr1sk37Send a Private Message to phr1sk37Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:
I have one behind a Northstar and have had no problems, but I drive it like _I_ own it

Ah great ... I think most of our style of drive it like we own it is er a bit more heavy footed than you especially in 1st and 2nd LOL.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I've got an Isuzu behind (beside?) my 3.4 with no problems yet.
Then again, I don't try to speed shift and bang gears and such.
As always, YMMV.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
We've been running an Isuzu in the race car with a strong 3.4L for a couple of years. No problems at all. We do run GM Syncromesh in it and we have Rodneys Axle Support bearings in it. We autocross and open road race the car so it spends a lot of time in 2nd gear on the autocross track, but it isn't speed shifted like on a drag strip. In the open road races, once we get to fifth it usually stays there and runs over 100 mph over the entire course. Like I said, no issues.

John Stricker
phr1sk37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2007 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phr1sk37Send a Private Message to phr1sk37Direct Link to This Post
Hi John, thanks the reply! Actually that is what I am planning to do. Open roads and join the SCCBC (SCCA but here in BC) which is why I am thinking of the 3.4L as well.
I will need to keep in mind that the tranny may need the case strengthen as you did. Thanks.
FTF Engineering

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringDirect Link to This Post
The rumor is...

The Isuzu car guys claim that GM demanded a different composition of the metal used in the gears and although it certainly wasn't their intention, this resulted in the GM version of these transmissions being weaker than the Isuzu versions. They claim that the Isuzu versions use different metal in the gears and are stronger.

Unconfirmed, untested hearsay, but that's what I've heard. Grass is always greener. YMMV. Proof is left to the student. Yadda, yadda, yadda...
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
I run isuzu with my 2.8 (replaced my 2.5) and I love it. I keep first and second gears very short, but I hit it in third and it really picks up :}

Just watch your shifter cables as they cross over right at your throttle body intake and will interfere with your intake tube. I was able to push them back so they run under my intake tube.

Let me know if you want more pics with the intake tube in place to see how I ran the cables.

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association
Yellow 85 Notchback(A.K.A. GodFearN)

The progress thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077740.html

PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2007 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
I ran a 5 speed duke very hard except for no tire spinning on take off,but loved to run rpms up to max performance and then shift quickly and hard,you should have no problem ,any time you launch hard you risk the gears in a 20 year old car,which can throw metal that destroys your hopes and dreams,not much difference in performance between 4 and 5 speed,5 speed deliver superior MPG..4 speed easier to drive around town.. my duke was fierce out of the hole
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
I use one with the 4.9 (slalom, 100' and 1/4 mile drags) for the last 3 years (also a daily driver) with no problems.
phr1sk37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phr1sk37Send a Private Message to phr1sk37Direct Link to This Post
But did you strengthen it in any way?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by phr1sk37:

No,

If it's a Formula Notchback (V6)...and a 5 speed, it's got a Getrag and not an Isuzu.
phr1sk37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phr1sk37Send a Private Message to phr1sk37Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
No,

If it's a Formula Notchback (V6)...and a 5 speed, it's got a Getrag and not an Isuzu.

Oh sorry, that was intended for Mickey_Mouse, unless you are answering on his behalf?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Oh sorry, that was intended for Mickey_Mouse, unless you are answering on his behalf?

Lots of times we answer on each others' behalf.
No harm. No foul.

Edit - Now watch me get "thwapped".

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-13-2007).]

phr1sk37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phr1sk37Send a Private Message to phr1sk37Direct Link to This Post
Oh yah? That sounds tight!
Well hopefully I will be getting a Feiro soon enough. Just looking at the Arlington Fiero meet makes me jealous I did not attend even though I dont have one yet! LOL

I am quite active with my GMC Safari ... we are doing a quick two day camp out just to meet up with everyone in BC again.
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
Biggest factor might be total mileage on the Izuzu transmission. 100K + ?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2007 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doc John:

Biggest factor might be total mileage on the Izuzu transmission. 100K + ?

Good point. Mine only had 49K.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

I normally wouldn't presume to answer for Mickey_moose. You asked that question in your opening post...I didn't see it directed towards anyone in particular.
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I do have an 88 Notchie with an Izuzu 5 speed connected to a 3800 SC engine. I baby it a bit because I am not certain how long it would last on a hard launch. Ideally I will spap in a 5 speed Getrag some day but until it breaks I will keep the Izuzu.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

But did you strengthen it in any way?

No, all that was done was new bearings and seals (oh, and some paint) - nothing special.

I don't think there is really much you can do to strengthen it other than find a replacement 2nd gear. Cryo treating could be done to help strengthen it (but I do have a spare it if goes - actually I would probably swap in a FWD Getrag at that point to try and get a better 1st gear ratio).

jscott1 >> your welcomed to answer for me

...as jscott1 meantioned, only if the car was a 4 cylinder does it have the Izusu...

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-14-2007).]

phr1sk37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phr1sk37Send a Private Message to phr1sk37Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for all the replies. Glad to know the 5-spd Izzy isnt all junk as must people just jump up and say it is crap ;p
I have been looking at a few tossing up 1986 Fastback or 1988 Notchy ... each to their own taste. My head hurts. The '88 has 4cyl to put around in till I can swap engines with better suspension / brake while the '86 has the "modern" look w/ Getrag tranny. I thought this would be easy! Then again it usually takes me at least 3 months to figure out which vehicle to get.

I have looked at some Fiero ads from Alberta any that you know of worth while looking at?

BTW, I have read a few 262CID (4.3L V6) swaps ... they are not common are they? Why not? Power band wise it looks like a good track/road motor in the Fiero ...?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2007 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for all the replies. Glad to know the 5-spd Izzy isnt all junk as must people just jump up and say it is crap ;p
I have been looking at a few tossing up 1986 Fastback or 1988 Notchy ... each to their own taste. My head hurts. The '88 has 4cyl to put around in till I can swap engines with better suspension / brake while the '86 has the "modern" look w/ Getrag tranny. I thought this would be easy! Then again it usually takes me at least 3 months to figure out which vehicle to get.

I have looked at some Fiero ads from Alberta any that you know of worth while looking at?

BTW, I have read a few 262CID (4.3L V6) swaps ... they are not common are they? Why not? Power band wise it looks like a good track/road motor in the Fiero ...?

I went with an 88 coupe, and proceeded to swap it, mod it, and perpetrate all sorts of atrocities upon it.
And I'm not done yet.
I've had great fun, and learned a bunch in the process.

There are several people here who have done the 4.3 swaps. Since it requires a fairly spendy V8 SBC install kit, most folks just do the V8.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock