Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Corroded positive terminal.... result of bad ground?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Corroded positive terminal.... result of bad ground? by toadson
Started on: 09-11-2007 02:42 PM
Replies: 1
Last post by: tjm4fun on 09-11-2007 03:38 PM
toadson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toadsonSend a Private Message to toadsonDirect Link to This Post
On my 86 Fiero with a 3.1, I mounted my battery up front. As for the cables I used, the positive cable is from a Riviera and runs from the battery back to the alternator. I have the ecm grounds grounded on the spaceframe, a ground running from the engine to the cradle, a ground runnign from the cradle to the spaceframe, and a ground running from the battery to the front crossmember. A few weeks ago, I noticed my positive terminal bolt was very white and corroded, but the negative wasn't. The actual terminal on the battery itself isnt corroded, just the bolt. This is a side post battery, and I haven't ever seen that happen before. Could this be because of a lack of ground straps? I'm thinking about adding a few more to see if it will help, but just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
if it's white powdery stuff, it is acid corroding the bolt. you may not have a perfect seal at that post, possibly from wrenching on it too hard. clean it up, and put some bearing grease orund the post where it comes out, and a little on the case right around it. before that you may wans to look carefully for any sign of a crack. while not permenant, the grease will ususally slow it down.
IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock