testing ignition module by plumcoco
Started on: 09-11-2007 08:59 AM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Francis T on 09-11-2007 01:32 PM
plumcoco

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for plumcocoSend a Private Message to plumcocoDirect Link to This Post
can ignition module be tested on car?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
No. You need to remove it and take it to someplace like Autozone or Advance. Here are some things you can test other than the IM while on the car; pick up coil and ignition coil.

EDIT: Technically, you can test it on the car if you have an ignition module tester with long enough leads to hook it up. But the normal DIY'er cannot.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 09-11-2007).]

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Yes, just crank the engine, if the tach moves its sending pulses. I post the below file often.

Your’s could be a common problem and don’t cost anything to check.
Try this:
Watch the tach when cranking if it don’t move you're not getting pulses from the distributor. If so, it could be a faulty module in it or more likely simply corroded connectors at the base of the distributor. Reseating those connectors a few times could clean the pins some and also do the same to the connectors on the coil etc. These cars are old, and old connectors corrode. Such can also manifest itself as intermittent misfires, and engine cutouts.

BTW: lots of folks keep replacing modules and coils thinking they are bad because the new ones FIX the problem, when in actuality the fact that they simply unpluged the connectors and repluged them into the new unit cleaned the contacts enough to make it work again, at least for a while. It's smart, to replace those old connectors with new ones.
BTW: Cliphouse has those connectors

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay