Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  where on the pedal swing does your clutch enguage?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

where on the pedal swing does your clutch enguage? by 2.5
Started on: 09-10-2007 02:26 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: 2.5 on 09-11-2007 11:57 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
On my 86 5 speed its waaay at the bottom, just after you start coming up from pushing it down all the way. Is that a sign of a clutch without alot of life left? I thought the opposite would be a sign of that. It was like this when I got it, I have since replaced the slave, master, and got an adjustable banjo (to fix other issues) but it still enguages waaay low. It works, but is odd to me.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Since I rebuild mine and did my power bleed with the air can mine starts about 3.5-4" from the floor.

(izzy 4sp 3.4 with 88 2.8 flywheel )

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 09-10-2007).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoDirect Link to This Post
My 86 GT 4spd is like that too, when i bought the car, my mechanic looked over it and said the clutch was still pretty good. I've always found that normal and new cars strange and confusing because you had to lift the clutch pedal so much before it would engage
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post
When your clutch and throwout bearing start to wear it takes further and further down to engage the clutch. Since they wear thinner it just takes more distance to move it.
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Ummm, no on that last post. the slave will not compress with an old worn disc, so it remains further out. the purpose of a hydraulic system is to remain constant.
A brand new clutch will actually have the fingers further depressed on the pressure plate, thus being further away from the rest position of the throwout were it retracted all the way. as the clutch wears the fingers come out further, thus the distance from the fully retracted throwout bearing is shorter. To keep the pedal more consistent, the slave does not compress more than the fingers push the throwout back, hence there is always light contact with the throwout bearing and the pressure plate fingers.
the pedal position is a function more of either the pedal being slightly bent, or minor leaks in the master causing more travel to be required to get the same fluid volume moved to the slave.
bottom line is if it is working, ie fully disengaging and engaging, then if you are smart, leave it the f* alone.

forgot to add, both my 86 an 88 are almost identical, engage is about 2" from the carpet. and that is just starting to engage, as in uphil, you won;t go foward, but there is slight engine load. full engagement is about 4-5" off the floor, never measured it. full disengage in order to get into first or rev is basically 1" to floor board (or less) to be sure.

[This message has been edited by tjm4fun (edited 09-10-2007).]

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
my 84 V8 4 speed, very close to the floor
my 85 V6 4 speed, very close to the floor
my 84 L4 4 speed, about half way down.
bigals

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigalsSend a Private Message to bigalsDirect Link to This Post
My 85 se does the same bout to the floor but it was my fault...Cut the flywheel down when I put a clutch and only used one .025 shim and cut .040 off......drat I should have used 2...
Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
1987 GT 5speed. I can lightly rest my foot on the clutch pedal, pedal down maybe half an inch and I can shift gears.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Disillusion:
1987 GT 5speed. I can lightly rest my foot on the clutch pedal, pedal down maybe half an inch and I can shift gears.

i'm sorry to say you will probably be replacing your clutch sometime soon.
or you're really good at matching the engine rpm with transmission input rpm
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post

That makes sense. I have to vehicles that the clutch doesn't fully disengageby the time they hit the floor, so I was thinking the clutches were going out. The must have air in the lines.
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
on my 88gt the stock clutch dissengaged near the top (about 1/3 down) and it was in good shape, then i put a centerforce dual friction clutch in, brand new, same thing about 1/3 down. Then i put in the spec stage 3+ clutch with the spec alum N* flywheel and the dissengagment was right on the floor, It sucked big time so i took out the getrag slave cylinder and put in an isuzu, brought the pedal up so it dissengaged about 1/3 down again, made the pedal effort a little more but i like haveing a stiff clutch. I hate clutches that are so light it feels like the pedal isn't connected to anything.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2007 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
SO sounds ok for my Fiero. However my '93 Frrd Ranger 5 speed's clutch might not last (ouch). All the shifting takes place right on the high end of the pedal.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock