Headlight Madness by PineyCreek
Started on: 09-09-2007 02:33 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: PineyCreek on 09-19-2007 02:55 PM
PineyCreek

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
Two questions about fiero headlight issues.

One: my driver's side headlight sometimes will not go down all the way when turned off. Any suggestions as what to look for that could be causing it?

Two: Suggestions for D.O.T. approved replacement headlights? Stock halogen ones just don't seem to be giving off enough light without highbeams on.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
1.The linkage is probably binding up. Check for worn plastic bushings where the linkage bolts mount.
2. Check out Timo's "Low profile headlight buckets" (Fiero1fan). It seems to be the new fad.....Both my Fieros have them....I honestly don't know how they work because I haven't driven in the dark since last winter (when it gets dark at 5pm)....I guess being 33 is old.
Dave

------------------

450hp 1987 Fiero GT, 1986 Fiero SE, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You can get Sylvania's Silverstar headlights as a good replacement for the factory ones. The ones you need are #H6054ST. The mount like the stock headlights and require no modifications to install.
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
This link has an alternative to the stock headlamp.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-075733.html

This link will cover the problems with the first generation headlight motors.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/068488.html
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
you said in a different thread that you have an 86.
so we will assume that you have the gen 1 headlight motor setup.

will it do it very often?
will it do it if you have the hood open?

when it does stop. what happens when you turn on the lights and then back off. wil it go all the way down then?
fierogtowner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PineyCreek:

Two questions about fiero headlight issues.

One: my driver's side headlight sometimes will not go down all the way when turned off. Any suggestions as what to look for that could be causing it?

Two: Suggestions for D.O.T. approved replacement headlights? Stock halogen ones just don't seem to be giving off enough light without highbeams on.

My headlights used to work perfectly, then I had the motor bushings go out on one of the head motors so I put new bushings in both motors.

Now when I retract my headlights they will freeze up, so I have to turn the motor manual knob an inch or so. My passenger headlight will close like a bat out of hell because the headlight cover spring forces it.

It drives me insane because I must lift the hood in order to raise the passenger light.

I'm gonna just buy a new set at the fierostore and get it done with!
jsin607

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsin607Send a Private Message to jsin607Direct Link to This Post
Just leave one up.
You get all sorts of comments from hot chicks about your little car that winks at them. ;>
PineyCreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
While the winking headlight does sound nice, I think I've figured it out. The hood's misaligned by about 3-5 mm, and as such the bucket/mount rubs against the cutout in the hood, binding it up. In short, if I realign the hood, it hopefully won't do that.
PineyCreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post

PineyCreek

459 posts
Member since Sep 2007
Oh, and thanks for the info on the SIlverstar headlights.
Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
For the most output legally possible, go with dot approved hid projectors, Hella has some, or go with oem.

If I were doing this again I would probabaly go with the twin 90mm hella model, and if it were HID i would use hid for the low beam , and for high beam use hid low + halogen high

View from front, not finished

Output test, still need to get better pictures.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/084985.html

Definatley a big improvement over the stock headlights.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
I'm just wondering if I can be stopped for using those mega-bright bulbs that I will buy from the fierostore?

The original yellow headlights aren't enough at night.
PFF
System Bot
PineyCreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
I think I'll go with the silverstar ones for now. They're cheap and I simply have too little time to work on anything requiring modification right now. Maybe I'll get projectors later. Yours look awesome though.

------------------
1986 SE V6, stock, auto. GT Trim and Body panels.

[This message has been edited by PineyCreek (edited 09-10-2007).]

Daniel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliment. I have been using the fog light since the stock output has been lacking, and the jump to HID is amazing. The only way you see the fogs on is the light leakage above the cutoff onto signs.
PineyCreek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2007 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
Man that's scary...used the SilverStar(Tm) headlights for the first time and I thought the electrical connections were backwards some how because it was so bright...then I turned on the highbeams and was lighting up the trees 80 degrees off the side of the car.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock